Main Menu

What Archetype are you?

Started by Aneya, December 14, 2004, 10:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aneya

After seeing Cross and Oneiromancer on The Scout's Sanctuary I was wondering, Who chose which archetype/class and why.

So far, my Scout Evalin seems to be my main. I love tracking and pathfinding. I did make Aneya a Fighter/Berserker but have not leveled her as much.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Oneiromancer

/wave Evalin

Since I knew I couldn't have a Beastlord, I wanted a class that would be in there fighting melee but still have a bunch of variety in many situations, including solo.  So I chose a Bard.  Now, it turns out that Bards pretty much suck at soloing white cons above level 18 or so, compared to most other classes, but I am still enjoying the class due to the strategy involved.  Lots of improvements to be made, although I am looking forward to getting WoW over Christmas.

The Scout's Sanctuary is a decent forum too.  Hopefully it will continue to stay mostly mature, although it will never approach this forum.  I am eager to try the parser tonight, hehe.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Jkal_Shihar

/agree with Oneiromancer.

I dont play as much as some anymore but my predator is lvl 15/16. It's kinda both worlds. When I first started playing EQ my main was a ranger then bst came out and Jkal was my main.
So just following the same path.

I do have a kerran brawler who will be a monk. Waiting when they unlock frogloks so I can finally make my froglok shadowknight  :twisted:

Also have a dark elf shaman that I'm more or less using to explore freeport (since my other two characters are qeynos based).
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Oneiromancer

Oh yeah, I made an Iksar Summoner to explore Freeport with.  Just got him to 10 last week, haven't played since then really.  Redoing all those newbie quests isn't as much fun, even in a new city, for some reason...but it's still interesting.  I do think that only having two cities was a mistake...sure, they're big, but they don't have enough variety.  It's one of the things I like most about WoW, the variety in starting locations.  I am sure that if I had started EQ1 before PoK I would have really appreciated the hugeness of the world too...

Game on,

Jkal_Shihar

Yeah, I started EQ just before Velious and know what ya mean. I was so afraid to leave qeynos hills with my ranger that the first time I zoned into karana I went LD.
2nd time there was still this plague going on and I didnt want to die trying to run to freeport. (I didnt know bout ports at the time.) :oops:
But finally I made it and got all the way to Kelethin. That was fun and invigorating.
My Magelo

Aneya

Quote from: OneiromancerSince I knew I couldn't have a Beastlord, I wanted a class that would be in there fighting melee but still have a bunch of variety in many situations, including solo.  So I chose a Bard.  Now, it turns out that Bards pretty much suck at soloing white cons above level 18 or so, compared to most other classes,

I think Scouts are a finesse melee class. Unlike fighters that can just tank, we actualy have to think about how we go about poking holes in our opponents. I had a hard time with even cons till I found out you could cheap shot then backstab.

I was wondering if the same qualities that attract us to playing beastlords made us more likely to play scouts in EQ2.

I've done the Qeynos newbie quest atleast 4 times now. Once in Beta, 3 times for my toons and showed friends a few of the key ones. I don't mind repeating them, a lot are fairly easy and are a good way of getting equipment early on.

In Freeport I have a ratonga that spend one night just exploring and hailing people. I like the stories and flavor text in Freeport more than Qeynos. So far though, the Qeynos quest have been more rewarding though.

So far, the general trend for EQ2 tunes seems to be Fighters and Priest are more popular than Mages and Scouts. Its interesting that our choises have not reflected the general preference.

Lorathir

I went Fighter > Crusader > Paladin. After my Beastlord I knew I had to have a class that tanked 'in the face' but also had a little utility.

I'm really enjoying my time playing this fella. AQ3 was a serious low point for me though. Stormhold is a truely horrible, buggy zone. I died so many times there from people falling through the world, getting stuck in combat mode, invis mobs, slow repop and named etc etc. Came really close to quitting because of that god awful dump.  :evil:

I've not tried any other class yet but I daresay I will. I'm really surprised I haven't had an interest in a pet class, I guess they just seem pretty bland to me. I've looked at their skills and abilities but nothings made me jump up and say "cool."

Highpoint was meeting Fippy Darkpaw the 4th. Sony really done a fantastic job on his voice! If your a Qeynosian, you ought to do this quest. Nice reward too.

Oneiromancer

Quote from: AneyaI think Scouts are a finesse melee class. Unlike fighters that can just tank, we actualy have to think about how we go about poking holes in our opponents. I had a hard time with even cons till I found out you could cheap shot then backstab.

Yeah, I've been doing that now too...of course, with a 30 second refresh on Cheap Shot I can't do it that often.  And I use Taffo's Brilliant Blade, it's a sneak attack type ability that gives me haste (supposedly, no icon or text shows up).  Our HO Ringing Blow stuns the mobs too though, right?  I haven't tried to turn off attack for that one though.

QuoteI was wondering if the same qualities that attract us to playing beastlords made us more likely to play scouts in EQ2.

We might need a bit more data to figure that out, hehe.  Certainly scouts are melee dps classes, which makes sense.  Personally, Beastlord was the only class I took to high levels, so it is the one I most identify with.  Other Beastlords might identify more with their original class if they played something else first...especially in EQ2 where there isn't the obvious connection like the Hunter in WoW.

QuoteI've done the Qeynos newbie quest atleast 4 times now. Once in Beta, 3 times for my toons and showed friends a few of the key ones. I don't mind repeating them, a lot are fairly easy and are a good way of getting equipment early on.

You mean quests (plural), right?  That's the thing that puts me off the most...yes, lots of those quests are great (especially the container ones) but there are so many.  I guess I could only do the ones that give good rewards, and I would do them in a better way, but still it's lots of repetition.  I wouldn't mind so much if I were totally changing my main, but just for an alt it's kind of boring in my opinion.

QuoteIn Freeport I have a ratonga that spend one night just exploring and hailing people. I like the stories and flavor text in Freeport more than Qeynos. So far though, the Qeynos quest have been more rewarding though.

Freeport was definitely much more interesting in the quests, just by their backstory and the humor inherent in going around to a bunch of evil people looking for work.  But Freeport is just so gloomy...everything looks the same, as I think a review on this board said...it is boring, unlike Qeynos in that respect.  Even the Commonlands and Nektulos are so...almost monochrome, compared to the Antonica-associated zones.

QuoteSo far, the general trend for EQ2 tunes seems to be Fighters and Priest are more popular than Mages and Scouts. Its interesting that our choises have not reflected the general preference.

Bleh, so then why are people always looking for one of those classes?  ;)  It seems to me that there are a glut of Mages and Scouts rather than the other way around.  Especially Summoners and Rangers.  I was grouped with a Ranger named Legolis the other night.../sigh...

Game on,

Aneya

QuoteOur HO Ringing Blow stuns the mobs too though, right?  I haven't tried to turn off attack for that one though.

Although it is called Ringing Blow I don't think it actualy stuns, you don't get to see star orbiting your victims head when you complete a Ringing Blow. Ambush seems to have a knockdown though.

QuoteWe might need a bit more data to figure that out, hehe.  Certainly scouts are melee dps classes, which makes sense.  Personally, Beastlord was the only class I took to high levels, so it is the one I most identify with.  Other Beastlords might identify more with their original class if they played something else first...especially in EQ2 where there isn't the obvious connection like the Hunter in WoW.

Yeah I think the connections in EQ2 are more subtle. As I said, Scouts are a Finesse class and I think Beastlords are too.

QuoteYou mean quests (plural), right?  That's the thing that puts me off the most...yes, lots of those quests are great (especially the container ones) but there are so many.  I guess I could only do the ones that give good rewards, and I would do them in a better way, but still it's lots of repetition.  I wouldn't mind so much if I were totally changing my main, but just for an alt it's kind of boring in my opinion.

Yeah I meant plural. My attitude is well since I'm going there anyways I might as well load up on quest to complete while I'm there. Especialy if I'm gonna be killing those mobs anyways for xp. And I do go out of my way to do the good quest and skip some of the here is 10 cps for your !#@ $@ troubles.

QuoteFreeport was definitely much more interesting in the quests, just by their backstory and the humor inherent in going around to a bunch of evil people looking for work.  But Freeport is just so gloomy...everything looks the same, as I think a review on this board said...it is boring, unlike Qeynos in that respect.  Even the Commonlands and Nektulos are so...almost monochrome, compared to the Antonica-associated zones.

I liked the backstory and humor in Freeport but the actual rewards for quest didn't wow me. Then again I only spent one night there. I find the opposite. Qeynos is bland in a certain clean and utopic way. Freeport is more interesting in dark distopic way.

QuoteSo far, the general trend for EQ2 tunes seems to be Fighters and Priest are more popular than Mages and Scouts. Its interesting that our choises have not reflected the general preference.

Bleh, so then why are people always looking for one of those classes?  ;)  It seems to me that there are a glut of Mages and Scouts rather than the other way around.  Especially Summoners and Rangers.  I was grouped with a Ranger named Legolis the other night.../sigh...

If you go to the SoE run player statistics websites most guilds have more Fighters and Priest than Mages and Scouts. Originaly, there was an equal number of each but it seems that the trend is for 1.25 fighters and priest for every 1 mage or scout.

As for the lack of fighters and priest in pick up groups, my experience is that the standard cookie cutter group includes 2 fighters, 2 priest and 2 random classes lucky enougth to get into the group. Assuming 1.25 fighters for every scout and a demand of 2 fighters for every scout there clearly is a disperity between supply and demand.

Oneiromancer

Quote from: AneyaIf you go to the SoE run player statistics websites most guilds have more Fighters and Priest than Mages and Scouts. Originaly, there was an equal number of each but it seems that the trend is for 1.25 fighters and priest for every 1 mage or scout.

I was going to argue that guilds specifically recruit to have more fighters and priests just as a matter of course.  And then I thought about my guild...which doesn't recruit at all, it's just a family guild.  Including alts, we have 30 people...5 Scouts, 5 Mages, 10 Priests, and 10 Fighters.  Wow...you were right!  However, I should point out that three of the founding members of our guild played Priest classes in EQ1 (Cleric, Druid, Shaman) so they naturally went for the same or similar class in EQ2.  And that list also includes alts...but obviously very few people chose Scout alts, and I think I might be the only Scout main (and I am definitely the highest).

QuoteAs for the lack of fighters and priest in pick up groups, my experience is that the standard cookie cutter group includes 2 fighters, 2 priest and 2 random classes lucky enougth to get into the group. Assuming 1.25 fighters for every scout and a demand of 2 fighters for every scout there clearly is a disperity between supply and demand.

Bards are in a special situation, of course.  Someone on the Scout's Sanctuary boards suggested that Bards and Enchanters are a "5th archetype" due to our crowd control abilities.  I don't think I agree with them, due to our inability to handle ^^ mobs (unless the Dirge Fear works on them, not sure), but it is probably true that a Bard is more likely to fill an extra slot than a Ranger or a Rogue.

Game on,

Aneya

I'm not sure inability to solo double up arrow mobs is exclusive to bards. I have a hard time killing green double up arrow mobs. I don't even bother with blue double up arrow mobs. This is with top of the line tradeskilled gear. Before I got my tradeskill gear I couldn't even solo average even cons.

The way the con system works, I believe that 1 double up arrow mobs is equivalent to 4 regular mobs of the same lvl. I don't think we are meant to take on four to one odds. Atleast, not unless the encounter is trivial to us.

Lorathir

Green ^^ group mobs are tricky things. I have no problem soloing them for the most part, though I have came across a few that were only *just* green and they took me down to near death. One level difference in a green^^ means a lot so check the levels and be prepared. They have approximately four times the hp a normal green no arrows has, though don't hit for much more. Risky fights, but worth the xp and the chance of them dropping a chest is high. I spent most of 19 soloing the green^^ skellies on Forgotten Isle, got most of my spells/abilites to adept or at least app 3. There's no way I could take on a blue ^^ group mob, even though my gear is nearly all orange.

Oneiromancer

Quote from: Oneiromancer on December 16, 2004, 12:58:56 AMBards are in a special situation, of course.  Someone on the Scout's Sanctuary boards suggested that Bards and Enchanters are a "5th archetype" due to our crowd control abilities.  I don't think I agree with them, due to our inability to handle ^^ mobs (unless the Dirge Fear works on them, not sure)

I was referring to crowd control with the green ^^ thing...actually Troubadours can't even charm a grey ^^ mob.  It just says that the mob is too powerful.  I'm sure that enchanters can mez a ^^ mob, and I don't know if the Dirge fear can affect them.

As for soloing...meh, the less said the better.  It's one of the main reasons that EQ2 is annoying me right now.

Game on,

Jkal_Shihar

Well, my main was a Ranger in EQL untill bst came out. But I see what ya mean. Theres alot of scouts but not too many predators.
Some of the quests I've been trying to research now to see what the reward is and if its worth doing.
My Magelo

Iskandar

A lot of the soloability of the green ^^ mobs will depend on the class of the mob -- my Predator could solo a green ^^ melee mob without a problem, but a shaman mob would own him before it was even at 50%.
Wildcaller Iskandar Darkpaw --  80 Beastlord, Cohort Chalybeius, Cazic Thule

"Didn't ya hear? That which doesn't kill you makes ya stronger. So suck it up, OK?" ~C.C.
"That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger. That which does kill me I will hunt down after I respawn." ~D.H.