Main Menu

My Troll can't climb!

Started by Bulge, January 08, 2004, 11:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulge

Ran into a strange problem in Nadox yesterday. When I tried to move my party from the Gunthak "lava" zone-in (where the three fire-elementals are) through the lava and up the wall to park them in that safe spot near the bridge, I found out that my Troll Beastie could not scale the walls of the lava-river, no matter what I tried.  All my other toons(wood-elf, high elf and Dark Elf) could without a problem.

Even when shrunk and double-shrunk it was no go. I have hugged the walls forever, tried it while ducking, jumping and whatever, but nothing. :( I had to run him around in Gunthak to the other zone in, after which I had to invis/run him to the party where he was met with several "Booo's" and humilating comments about his lack of souplesse! (good thing they were all boxed or it might have been a lot worse!) ;)

Is this a known issue with large races/trolls? Or am I bugged?

Thanks for any input. :)
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Leberger

As a barbarian I haven't had any trouble climbing there.
Move over skinny dog cause the fat dog's movin in.
Lebergerjr - 59 - Beastlord - KB

Catrika

smaller races have better manuverablillity.    one other place I have noticed this through the years is the cliffs in Lake Rathetear.  
If you try to climb out of the water before the gnoll camp by sk zone.. it's much harder if not impossible as an ogre.. whereas a dark elf has no problem.
Catrika D'Vyle 65th Bst - Cazic-Thule

Tooflus Wunder

In Nadox basically you need to shrink yourself twice to get out of the lava.  I had the same issue and once I shrunk myself I was fine.

EDIT:  I didn't notice that you had shrunk.  There is only one way out of the lava even while shrunk and that is on the right hand side before the bridge.  You will notice a little indentation you can climb up there.

Bulge

Ah, thanks guys. So it really is a size thing. I am going to concentrate on that spot you mention, Tooflus, instead of running around and hugging the walls like a madman.

Thanks!
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Zorthar

I dont like playing larger races because you seem to move so slow and cant seem to climb stuff like the smaller races can.  I usually play characters that are elf sized.

TheOriginalGronker

Hiya Bulge  :wink:

As an ogre, I shrink myself once or twice (once if I'm staying in nadox) and when I get to the 'climb spot' i just face the wall and start jumping to climb 'quickly' up the slope.  For whatever reason, sometimes its quick, sometimes its not.  This 'climb spot' for me is just after you pass the static spawn on the right side, just past the rock that is beside him/it so if you look up, the big rock is just a little to your right.  Maybe I missed the easier way to get up cuz all my companions always seem to just rocket up there, but this works for me.

Atonic

Hmmm... I never shrink and never have any problems climbing out, on the right side, just before bridge. Am vah shir.

Mindlet

There are places some races just can't seem to get past regardless of shrink or not. I can't explain it but I know of one really good example. We usually cross the canyon in the deep down the bottom not across the bridge (theres a way to jump down and not die if you know the trick). Climbing back up the other side no one has problems except barbarians. Even if a barb is shrunk they still find it almost impossible to get up. If they are illusioned to another race they can then get past. Its really strange.

Bulge

Woah, if this is linked to race then this may be one of those "No Trolls allowed" spots then!  :) Thanks Gronker, I will go try that, so far I haven't really tried more then hugging the wall and jumping randomly.

At least I now know that I am not bugged.

Kazlak

I've noticed that spot in the deep also. It's hard to get to the ramp as a troll, but my other character a gnome had no problem and the iksar spotter I put in there didn't either.
Kazlak
Tholuxe Paells

Phurbi

Doesn't seem possible, but on one system I can't climb things like the waterfall in Nurga, and the other I can.  Same char\account, 2 minutes later.  That slope in Nadox is about the steepest thing I can get my barb bst up on the faster system (PIII-750 vs. XP2500+ Barton).

Though as others have said, my smaller race chars always scale walls and such faster, regardless of the PC.  I think client refresh rate has something to do with it.
Phurbi - Feral Lord
Ten out of ten people die, so don't take life too seriously.

Anjelika

As a barbarian, I wasn't able to climb that lava wall either.  I try to keep wood elf or dark elf illusion potions on me cause I always seem to be running into stuff like this.

Nals Picure

I think it has to do with the shape of the Troll model, there are alot of places i just can't run up at all that i could with all other chars.  The ditch leading down to kael in EW, used to be able to scale it no problem, now I have to run all the way to the end almost.

I also found one extremely annoying thing is that in some spots when you need to swim thru water quick and pop out the other side, if the bank is just a little too high, you can't get out, made me add several stacks of bat wings to my equip list for situations like that.
Nals Picure
He who was formerly the Fatestealer

Bulge

Yes, I just tried REAL hard to get up that slope, with the indentation and all, but it's no go. I am now pretty sure this is a Troll/Nadoxlavawall thing only.

I am curious if there is any other Troll out here that manages to get up that slope.