Main Menu

Warders better pet than a Mages pet?

Started by Malleable, January 08, 2004, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malleable

Ive heard this mentioned, but thought Id actually find out.  Are warders pets stronger/tougher/harder hitting or better in general than a Mage pet?

Im sure there will be some differences of opinions, but overall is this true?

Mal

Malleable

Ok, after having read some othe posts, nobody here thinks Warders are stronger than Mages pets.  A small few Mages have posted they are, but were rebuffed by other Mages (at the Mages Tower).

Just thought Id ask.

Mal

Zorthar

Mage pets are slightly better, but not by a large margin.

Kylaz

You'll probably find the answer, and more, at http://forum.magecompendium.com/tower/index.php but basically, the post above is correct.
Kylaz - Feral Troll
Main Entry:liz·ard
Etymology:Middle English liserd, from Middle French laisarde, from Latin lacerta (Date:14th century)
1 : any of a suborder (Lacertilia) of reptiles distinguished from the snakes by a fused inseparable lower jaw, a single temporal opening, external ears, and eyes with movable lids; broadly : any relatively long-bodied reptile (as a crocodile or dinosaur) with legs and tapering tail

claw

Well two things ...

The 64 pet fully buffed with all pet buffs and all player buffs we can cast, CAN take out a Mage pet fully buffed by the Mage, but barely.

Last night in Arena did a pet duel to check this out.

My pet ended the fight at 42% health with the mage earth pet dead.

We didnt try other pet types for the mage, just the earth pet for its largest HP.

- Claw

Soriab

The Mage Epic pet will eat ours, its got a DS that just hates pets.

Tukash

I dueled a 65 earth pet with my 64 warder.  Mage pet won, but barely.  It had less than 5% HP when warder died.  I had all my buffs and mage buffed his pet.  The difference in the fight was his DS, without it warder probably would have one.  We are going to try some more duels with him using various pets.
Tukash - Feral Lord, Tarew Marr

Kylaz

I'm not sure dueling is the only answer to "what pet is best". This question by itself does not mean a lot, because either in raid,solo or group, the pet is rarely alone without his Beastlord or Mage - dueling pet will only be academic studies, not really used in the "Real" Norrath.

To summarize, I'd say that the different mage pets are a plus (they can adapt the pet they want in each situation), but our warder is globally more balanced for all situations:
Some mage pets have better DPS, some mage pets have better tanking ability, some mage pets have better casting abilities but you have to take into account the master himself in the equation.

As for the question "is Mage better than Beastlord" I won't answer here, I think both classes are fun to play, and thats what count.
Kylaz - Feral Troll
Main Entry:liz·ard
Etymology:Middle English liserd, from Middle French laisarde, from Latin lacerta (Date:14th century)
1 : any of a suborder (Lacertilia) of reptiles distinguished from the snakes by a fused inseparable lower jaw, a single temporal opening, external ears, and eyes with movable lids; broadly : any relatively long-bodied reptile (as a crocodile or dinosaur) with legs and tapering tail

Tommba

What makes our warder's so great is our HUGE heals for them, in a one on one against a mage pet with buffs (including heals) allowed I would bet on the bst pet everytime.
Baron http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=888523">Tommba Braderick <http://www.dieringtraeger.de">Die Ringtraeger>
64th Season Savage Lord
Vallon Zek

Arcarian

I would like to think that being a mage since June '99 might lend me a little credibility to state pet differences.

• Mage pets, other than the Epic pet, do not proc thier effects and DD's, but cast them at either 6 second (for earth and water) or 12 second (for air) intervals. Fire is not a pet, but a joke, and should never be looked at as a source of comparison, unless you are attempting to compare it to how many clowns can fit in a very small car.
  • Both Mage and Beastlord pet haste buffs are 85% at 65, yet Arag's Celerity has a rather significant advantage in the other stat bonuses (35 STR, 35 ATK, and a whopping 53 AC)
    [/list:u]
    The most comperable Mage pet at 65, would be a Ward of Xegony, the air pet, compared to a Spirit of Sorsha, and the Spirit of Rellic Proc Buff.

Ward of Xegony max hit, unfocused, 83. Casts Air Elemental Strike every 12 seconds, 3.00 second stun, 75 damage. 12 second recast. Max Stun level, 6,000. (yes, 6 thousand)

Spirit of Sorsha max hit, unfocused, 79. Procs Spirit of Rellic Strike, 2.75 second stun, 155 damage, and 50 extra hate. Max Stun level, 61. Additionally gains 75 dex from the Spirit of Rellic buff.

Rather similar pets, and according to some parses on the old ebil site, the average proc rate, without additional dex boosts was approximately 1 in 10 seconds.  So if math doesn't fail me, the approximate slow benefit of the Ward of Xegony is 25%, while Sorsha can do closer to 27.5% just edging out Ward of Xegony. Differences of course in that Ward can stun any mob, of any level, provided the spell will land at all, and Rellic is limited to 61 and under mobs. Other differences are that theoretically, Ward of Xegony's proc is more reliable.

In healing Power for the pets though, Beastlords have mages wooped.

Healing of Sorsha: 2100 hps, for 425 mana, 9 second casting time, 2.25 second recast time, 187.67 hps healed a second, at a ratio of 4.94 hps healed per mana expended.

Planar Renewal: 1200 hps, for 300 mana, 7 second casting time, 7.5 second recast time. 82.76 hps healed a second, at a ratio of 4 hps healed per mana expended.

Not like an exact, complicated study here, but tried to lay out some facts for ya.
Arcarian <The Keepers> 25th BST
Arcale ViCace <The Keepers> 65th Nerfician
Rutabegas. May taste horrid, but at least the name makes you smile.

cougerofeq

Last time I dueled, I could not heal or buff my pet during the duel - so unless it changed, we suck at duels.

Malleable

Thanks for the detailed description. Very informative.

If you wanted to just send in pet and heal, then BL seems far better.  But the ability of the Mage to drop damage on a mob mean they can drop things faster.  Slows from the BL mean the pet (and a party) can take on much higher level creatures I would guess, and the BL can still lay out some melee damage and wears armor.  

BL seem to rock.

Mal

Scalewulf

2 quick points.  

Our 64 pet's max hit unfocused is 77, not 79.  The focused pet hits for max 79.

Try dueling someone in an arena, I believe you 'll find that your heal works there.  Never duel someone as a BST outside of an arena.  

peace,

zzmaller

Well been try hard to figure out how to say this

i have ran with necros and mages alot and best i can tell trying to compair mage necro or bst is like trying to compair apples to oranges to bananas otehr then fruit there very difrant not better not worce just difrant

and so this my pet is better then your pet is silly

mage pets are DPS (part caster and part melee) with a suport of  toys buffs armor plus mage has nukes and other forms of damge dealing

necros pets are very close to ours able to tank well and alot of dps plus dps suport from necros in the form of life tap and dots and the combo is down right sceary

beastlord pet is a fine tank able to dish it out and take it just as well taunt bash there master is part healer ( shammy style)  and part killer (monk style)

so lets all get togather and make fuit saled and call it done

Razimir

There is one thing warder is better than mages pet. That is holding aggro.

-Raz