Main Menu

Warders better pet than a Mages pet?

Started by Malleable, January 08, 2004, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filudan

Quote from: RazimirThere is one thing warder is better than mages pet. That is holding aggro.

-Raz

I believe that is because our pet engages melee closer than the mage pets.  This is a large source of frustration for mages as when they want to make pet groups their larger more capable pet won't tank for the little pets.  The other pets all get in closer and the mob destroys them before turning on the mage pet.

YMMV
Filudan Beastlord on Tholuxe Paellls
Magelo- http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=893099&resize=true

Soriab

Quote from: FiludanI believe that is because our pet engages melee closer than the mage pets. YMMV
Actually NO. Pets and Meele will engage at the same distance and that is MAX Meele range.  The mob can move closer to the pet due to push but the pets (ALL PETS) will stop and attack at MAX Meele range. The Reason our pets hold aggro better is the PRocs we imbue them with if it lands or resists they generate hate. Mages and other classes have to rely on procs of weapons. Ours use Inate(Imbued) procs and weapon procs.

Nanndas

I have never played yet with a high level pet, but what I saw in the mid-levels between a mage/Bst duo.

While playing on Stromm, my son (39 mage/air pet) and myself (38Bst/30pet) went to Rathe to kill HG's. The biggest concern my son had was if he sent his pet in first to tank the HG was that I had to step up and tank so he could back his pet off. He complained that his pet heal was too small and took a long time to cast. Where as if I sent my pet in first his pet would rarely get hit and I only had to heal my warder once until I went in to finish off the HG.

He also felt that if his pet died then he was in major trouble whereas I could tank and if I channeled through a cast I had another pet.

Regarding our pets hitting from max distance. If I send in the pet on an assist, yes he stands back at max distance. While fighting Greyhoppers in MS, I send my warder in first. They are nose to nose when they fight. At first I thought it was lag but after watching a few other warders fight it was the same.
Nanndas - 56 Animist - Drinal Server

Baking - GM + Trophy
Brewing 200
Pottery 179
Smithing 122
Tailoring 115
Jewelcraft 188

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: NanndasRegarding our pets hitting from max distance. If I send in the pet on an assist, yes he stands back at max distance. While fighting Greyhoppers in MS, I send my warder in first. They are nose to nose when they fight. At first I thought it was lag but after watching a few other warders fight it was the same.
This is due to each monster having a different imaginary 'box' around it to denote how close you have to be to its centre to actually be able to hit it.  Hill giants, for example, have a big box and it can look like you aren't coming anywhere near them when you are still within melee range.  Greyhoppers in MS .. or perhaps lightcrawlers illustrate this better ... in MS have a small one - you have to be very close to them to hit.

ALL pets behave the same way wrt stopping at max melee range.  Push from different pets and spells/other melee can change this, and the pet doesnt move if its within melee range, but this still has absolutely no effect on aggro unless the mob is rooted - and even then I am going to have to make some observations before drawing conclusions.  If it works like player aggro on a rooted mob, then the pet whose centre is closest to the mobs centre will have aggro - and that has nothing to do with what kind of pet it is - bst/mag/nec/druid/etc.

Soriab

Actually Gronker my pet is used as the MT when taking down the Prastorium Leaders in SSeru and he holds aggro even when other pets are closer or if I back him off for reposition he gets summoned back and none of the other pets are hit at all.

If you dont know why pets are used on these fights I will explain. To get to Lord Inquisitor Seru. You go through the Earring of Vercaity Quest. To get the Arx Key you have to get 4 Shards that drop off the Prastorium Leaders around the Ark Stronghold Building that houses LIS. They have a in zone Banish to Jail that procs on PC Characters but pets are unaffected at all. so get about 5-8 pet casses and a few healers and you can take them all out fairly fast.

Nanndas

TheOriginalGronker, thanks for the explanation! Now I can see why my warder sits on a lightcrawlers head/tail to beat on it.  :)

Nan
Nanndas - 56 Animist - Drinal Server

Baking - GM + Trophy
Brewing 200
Pottery 179
Smithing 122
Tailoring 115
Jewelcraft 188

Soriab

Hehe, Yea light crawlers have a hitbox the size of a gnome    :roll:  :twisted:  :shock:

Zakoriz

Dueling doesnt tell you which pet is better.  For one thing, whichever pet enragest first is technically the loser of the two.

The only way to compare it is to have both pets fight a mob that is always a certain level.  In my experience with my RL friends mage, my pet can kill things her earth pet cannot, but only barely in most cases.

Hers has more HP/AC in general, mine has more dps.  
Her non-earth pets in general could not hit the dps or tank ability of my pet in tanking situations.

Besides, it really does not matter whos pet is better. What matters is which *team* is better, and we definitely solo better than they do.  8)
Elder Zakoriz
Level 65 Beastlord
Erollisi Marr - Resilience

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: SoriabActually Gronker my pet is used as the MT when taking down the Prastorium Leaders in SSeru and he holds aggro even when other pets are closer or if I back him off for reposition he gets summoned back and none of the other pets are hit at all.
Hmm ... well summoning mobs are going to summon the highest aggro pet/person back if they are out of range regardless of any other circumstances.  I think I worded my simple "aggro when mob rooted" explanation sloppily however (as the closest player has the mobs melee attention, NOT the most aggro) but I was trying to be as clear as possible.

Quote from: Soriab
If you dont know why pets are used on these fights I will explain.  <snip> They have a in zone Banish to Jail that procs on PC Characters but pets are unaffected at all. so get about 5-8 pet casses and a few healers and you can take them all out fairly fast.

Pets immunity to banish works great with Trak and Maeniatic Prototypes too  :wink:

Oh as an interesting aside, we were pet-slaughtering the prototypes in PoI and my pet was the 'MT' however when the mages/necros chained up new pets, they got aggro almost instantly - it was in a raid setting though which I almost never do (if that has anything to do with it).  I've been at a loss to explain that (but it sure helped keep Snuggles alive) and its the only case I can think of where I've seen this (not that I've been looking for this).  The end result was Snuggles survived the entire battle, and half a dozen mage pets were made by each mage.  You could see the mob turn to them when they finally arrived.  :roll:

Soriab

Hmm. we just take 3 groups and kill the Prototypes for grinns and giggles. Never had one banish anyone in the raid. We do the same thing with the same 3 groups and kill the dragon.  8)

Llorath

They banish you normally to one of the other rooms with prototypes in it.  At least, they did a while ago.  Havent been back in a while.