Main Menu

The Grimling Forest, alone or with stout companions

Started by Sarrow, January 08, 2004, 08:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarrow

Brothers and Sisters,

I have found yet another place to hunt from the 39th season forward, either alone with one's warder or with a small group of friends.  That place is Grimling Forest.  Within this forest are both grimling villages and bandit camps.  At the 40th season, I find that the bandits at the camp closest to the Shar Vahl outpost are all worthy opponents.

Some benefits of note:
1. There is a soulbinder and a bank within the shar vahl outpost.  I believe all races are welcome there, though I speak as a daughter of Halas.
2. There are vendors within the outpost.
3. The bandits sometimes come in groups of two, but I have found them manageable.  Although they do run away at low health, they do not run back toward their friends, and so that is not much of a danger.
4. There are no wanderers to disturb your hunt.
5. The bandits are prolific and respawn quickly.
6. There are drops within this forest that we need for our epic.  I find it much more pleasurable to "camp" these drops while here for experience.
7. There are no wandering dragoons to kill me, as in the Overthere, though for many of you this would not be an issue.  For the children of Halas and Cabillis, this is a boon.
8. Druids are able to port directly to the Shar Vahl outpost.
9. The bandits drop fine steel (even breastplates) which sell for up to 80pp.  They also drop coins.
10. The experience here seems to be on par with that in the Overthere, except that these are static spawns and one need not wander around.  
11. Few hunt here, so you need not worry for those who do not respect your privacy or who choose to discuss otherworldly things in /shout.

Some negatives:
1. Unless you are able to ride with a druid, to get to Grimling takes some effort.  I went to Shar Vahl first, then through Shadeweaver's, up the mountainside and into the forest.  Not so very dangerous provided you run and do not linger when the sonic wolves see you.
2. Solitude: I find this a pleasure.  Perhaps you prefer the company of l33t d00ds.
3. Darkness: This forest is on the darker side of the moon, and so it never gets light.  I did not find this terrible, but I thought I should mention it.

Today I partnered with an enchanter who came into the wood.  In just under two hours, I gained four golds of experience at that single bandit camp and made the 41st season.

Hunt well!

Sarrowful Sturmkinder
Child of Halas
Eci

Nuknuk

Another spot could be the left side of the beach in Gunthak.  Little slow at 39, however an excellent place to get those defensive skills moving, because you will be getting hit ALOT.

Pet cleric is an option of course, and the mobs are fairly well spread out, so low on the add scale.

Anyway thats my 2cp.

Peace.
Nuknuk    - 56 Troll Beastlord (Brell)
Ginasye    - 58 Woodelf Rogue (Brell)
Binkkie    - 50 Hafling Druid (Brell)
Tuvenea    - 30 Dwarf Cleric (Brell)

Thrashum Gud

Quote1. There is a soulbinder and a bank within the shar vahl outpost. I believe all races are welcome there, though I speak as a daughter of Halas.

I have been unable to locate a soulbinder in the outpost, can you provide the NPC name/loc please?  Or did you actually mean the city of Shar Vahl and not the outpost in Grimling Forest?

Quote3. The bandits sometimes come in groups of two, but I have found them manageable. Although they do run away at low health, they do not run back toward their friends, and so that is not much of a danger.

At level 43 I could not get single pulls even from the closest camp to the outpost which I "think" is also the lowest level camp.  What spell did you use to pull?  I always get a thug and a caster of some kind, the two together are simply lethal to me and force me to run for the outpost 50% of the time.

I'd love to be able to hunt here but so far it has proved to be fruitless, I imagine that I must be doing something wrong so any help and hints would be most appreciated.

Thrashum Gud

Quote1. There is a soulbinder and a bank within the shar vahl outpost. I believe all races are welcome there, though I speak as a daughter of Halas.

There is no soulbinder in the Grimling Forest outpost, all races are welcome in the outpost unless they've ruined their Shar Vahl faction.  You get bound in Shar Vahl near the King.

Quote1. Unless you are able to ride with a druid, to get to Grimling takes some effort. I went to Shar Vahl first, then through Shadeweaver's, up the mountainside and into the forest. Not so very dangerous provided you run and do not linger when the sonic wolves see you.

The correct path to take if you can not get a port is to use the PoK book to Shadeweaver's Thicket, zone into Sharl Vahl (visit the soulbinder), zone into Hollowshade Moor and cross the zone (summon a pet, sow both, let pet kill anything that aggro as you run for the zone.  No trains and no need to mess with green mobs), from here you zone into Grimling Forest.

Quote3. The bandits sometimes come in groups of two, but I have found them manageable. Although they do run away at low health, they do not run back toward their friends, and so that is not much of a danger.

At level 44 it's not sometimes it is always comes in 2 and sometimes 3 at a time.  With my gear I win half the time and have to run the the guards the other.  I know you can single pull these camps but I'm almost positive you can't get single pulls from the easiest camp until after level 46 and I know for a fact the ones near the Acrylia Caverns zone single pull at 53.

I mean no disrespect or flame but this guide is flatly wrong and corrections were needed.  I simply provided them.

Birdienumnum

Thrashum berating a poster again, sigh.
Beastlords get the cancel magic spell.... go buy it.... single pull with it.
Birdienumnum

Thrashum Gud

QuoteThrashum berating a poster again, sigh.

You do comprehend what you read don't you?

I clearly stated...

QuoteI mean no disrespect or flame but this guide is flatly wrong and corrections were needed. I simply provided them.

QuoteBeastlords get the cancel magic spell.... go buy it.... single pull with it.

I tried both cancel magic and sicken, until level 45 I was unable to get a single pull no matter what spell I used to pull.

I'm sorry you see my correction of a faulty guide as berating the poster even after I stated exactly what my intention was.  In the future I'll not make such corrections, it is certainly no skin off my nose if you follow a faulty guide.

NoxCruor

Khillarri
Dark Beastlord Outcast of Shar Vahl
Sworn Protector of the Nox`Cruor Clan
~Hidden within the night, we follow our Prey.  Surrounded by the darkness we seek our retribution.  Over the centuries, you came for us and sought our destruction after learning the truth.  Now, we come for you and seek your death after centuries of torture.~  Orionus Nox`Cruor

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: Thrashum Gud
QuoteBeastlords get the cancel magic spell.... go buy it.... single pull with it.

I tried both cancel magic and sicken, until level 45 I was unable to get a single pull no matter what spell I used to pull.

Yeah not quite sure where people drummed up this "urban myth" or why it still survives.  You can pull with AoE spells and get the same results too (as long as it doesn't hit more than one mob).   :roll:

Gharrik

This "urban myth" was not "drummed up," it was learned through trial and error.  For examle:  In Kael, at the gate near EW zoneline, the 2 center giants can be single pulled with cancel magic or sicken while they are still dark blue cons, whereas pulling with slow always brings both giants.  I died a couple of times and wasted alot of root webs splitting that spawn before I learned this.

Hecklerkoch

Like to get some clarification on this.

Went to GF last night with my 42 Beast. Since Bandit camp not marked on map I have, roamed around a little until I found one, I believe it's the one closest to outpost. If you turn right coming out of the outpost and go up a little there's 2 huts, ala Bandit camps in PC, in between to hills. I'm guessing this is the one discussed in post, if not please let me know.

Anyway, I set up on one of the hills. Visually there were about 6-7 bandits either outside or inside the tents. The ones outside were 1 close to the fire, 2 not far from there, and another 2 standing on the platforms of the huts. Since the one by the fire was LB I decided to try to pull her first. I hit her with Cancel Magic and 3 came, the LB, a DB bandit, and a DB Outcast Shaman. I figured I better get on the Shammy quick so I targeted him and let pet handle the 2 bandits. Well the Shammy quickly hit me with Drowsy, Tainted Breath, and Cancel Magic (taking off a shield). I melee'd the Sham for a sec or 2 when I noticed my Pet was getting destroyed. I hit him with a couple heals (getting him back up to about 90%) and turned back to the Sham. I was back down to about 50% when the other 2 killed my pet and the Sham, in spite of an Ice Spear and my meleeing, was still at 75%.

So I decide it's good time to hit the outpost and try again. I run to the outpost, thank God Sham didn't root, and go inside to sit and Bind Wound. Well Bandit number 1 shows up, runs right past the guard and comes for me. I figure he got by guard before aggro so I run to the guards at entrance. Bandit 1 starts beating on me, no biggy it's LB I should be able to handle it while the guards react and squash him. Meantime Bandit 2 shows up and starts beating on me, remember - I am standing right next to a guard here. Well I got down to 30% and decided it was zone time and figure this sh*t out later.

Anyone know if they changed something so that outpost guards don't aggro Bandits? They sure as heck didn't for me. It seems to me that these things are far from a piece of cake, is that new?  I did HGs in Rathe and had an easier time of it. Also, any suggestions on how to split the bandits?  I tried it a 2nd time with Drowsy and got 3 again.

Any info/advice much appreciated.

EDITED:  Also, another post says the 2 giants in Kael can be single pulled with Sicken or Cancel Magic in Kael. That may have been true in the past but, for a L42 BL it is definitely NOT true now.  I tried splitting those guys with Sicken (got both), Cancel Magic (got both), and Drowsy (got both). They were both DB, 1 a Watch and 1 a Watcher.

Heck
"It was a woman that drove me to drink and I never wrote to thank her."  -- WC Fields

Hereki

No idea about the guard/bandit relationship, sorry.

However, if you have an LB and a DB standing close together, pulling the LB will always bring both.  Pulling the DB will usually get a single.