Main Menu

A question/ thought about our Epic 2.0

Started by Katonis, April 11, 2005, 07:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katonis

Earlier tonight I received the globe of energy I need for the Epic 2.0 so all I need now if the PoAir bit and the last fights.  So my thoughts have turned to how the epic will effect my character.

My question/ thought is about the strikethough that is on the epic.  I believe I read awhile back during GoD that strikethrough was parsed to have a cap of 35 percent.  Is this the case or is it higher or lower?  Does strikethrough really have much of an effect when a person tries to stay on the back of a mob?  There seems to be a very high amount of strikethrough available on gear from Anguish/ Tacvi / DoN raid items.  It seems to me that 10 percent strikethrough is almost common on many items in these areas so breaking such a cap is very easy to do. 

If the case is that strikethrough is capped at 35 percent and it does not have a noticeable effect from the back then perhaps this needs to be looked at or changed to something like a smaller combat effect number?  Looking at the effects on the other melee type epics they seem to make more sense to me than ours.  I have left out effects like attack, regen and mana regen.

Bard - +10 Stun Resist% - Less stuns = less interrupted songs?
Berserker - Frenzy +15 - Gotta love bonuses to innate skills
Monk - Flying Kick +15 - Gotta love bonuses to innate skills
Paladin - Shielding +5% - Tank type getting hit for less is a good thing
Ranger - Accuracy +15% - Hitting more often is something a DPS class would love
Rogue - Backstab +15 - Gotta love bonuses to innate skills
Shadowknight - Shielding +5% - Tank type getting hit for less is a good thing
Warrior - Shielding +6% - Tank type getting hit for less is a good thing

Thoughts? Comments?

I apologize if I missed something important or complete misunderstand how strikethough works for us.  I thought it couldnt hurt to ask since I could not seem to find an answer to satisfy me in a search.  Thanks in advance for any help to help me understand if I missed something or feedback about this.

Kat

Rarrum

As far as I know, strikethrough only has an effect when a defensive check goes off on whatever your hitting.  So if your hitting from behind it does nothing whatsoever.  (unless your hitting a monk? heh)

I agree that strikethrough really doesn't make a lot of sense for the weapon... + combat effects or + avoidance would be a lot more useful.

Mahes

It definitely wasn't a well thought out addition to our 2.0.  Combined with the cold focus, it's kind of disappointing that the 2.0 is essentially just a good ratio with a right click.  The ratio will be replaced next big expansion so we'll just carry it in inventory to click every 20 minutes.

Anyway...yeah, it would be nice if they had but something like CE, Accuracy, Avoidance, etc.  I'm not sure what it caps at.  I had thought it was one of the higher caps, but 35 is entirely possible.

Sure wish a Dev would give us 5 minutes to look at the 2.0.

Oiingo

Why avoidance?  Relative to the other effects listed, this really doesn't fit the pattern.

Unfortunately, I really have no idea what to suggest as an alternative.
Predator Oiingo Boiingo (80 beasty) of <Triality> on Maelin Starpyre

Firriann

+15% to dual weird or an innate double attack mod made just for us would be nice *nods*
Firriann Tailchaser - 72 Beasty
Lynia Tsukikage - 75 Ranja
The Tribunal Server

Katonis

Well, that tells me I was right in thinking it did little to no good from the back of a mob.... only the front.  I really think the effect on ours should be changed to a DPS oriented effect like the other melee epics instead of of a defensive one like avoidence.  I hesitate to suggest something like double attack or some such since there are melee focus effects and could render them useless.  A change to up double attack, accuracy, combat effects or some such or one that is harder to reach or caps higher would be a very positive change.  Wonder if Tastian can try to whisper in a Devs ear. :P

Kat

Tastian

I'd brought up the epic effects (focus and mod) before most even had the 1.5 hehe.  I'll bring it up again and see if I can get a dev comment on if they'd consider tweaking it or atleast offer an explaination.

Mahes

I PM'd...hmm, Zajeer was it?  And asked if he could just give some feedback on it or tell me not to PM him, but heard nothing.

Perhaps your asking will help.  Appreciate it Tastian.

Katonis

The other beasties in my guild seem to think the strikethrough is ok but I still think its silly. :P  If they give back some basic reasoning though or just say we arent gonna change it, Ill live with it. Heh

Kat

Tastian

Asked the three devs that deal with the epic about the effects, so hopefully will hear something soon.  For a lot of beastlords the strikethrough doesn't do very much if anything at times.  I'm hoping they either consider tweaking it or atleast explain their reasoning behind it.

Also brought up the focus effect issue again, but that met some resistance last time it was addressed.  Again hopefully we'll get some explaination if nothing else. 

Shirrkarn Ayge

Something definitely needs to be done about focus given that frost of anguish is also on our tier 2 legs (. Cold focus situation is getting crazy at anguish level.
SavageSpirit Shirrkarn Ayge - Bertoxx

Clerbot Corenna Shirrez

Bengali

Strikethrough isn't my favorite effect or anything but it's not entirely useless.  You can still strikethrough dodges/blocks/parries, which a mob can do even when you're not directly in front of them (i.e., out of riposte range).  On many fights (where you can't just pin the mob in a corner), it's impractical to have every single melee directly behind the mob or else it will get pushed all over creation -- especially when you have to move to counter push from the zillion swarm pets that casters create.  So in those cases you have the rogues at the back of the mob, heavy melees in front, and light melees on the sides to "balance" the mob.  I get strikethrough messages all the time in those situations.

I prefer combat effects/accuracy, but if for some reason they don't want to add those, then strikethrough is the only dps mod left that we can use (unless it's like +kick 100 :))
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mahes

Maybe that could add a mod to that worthless Feral Swipe AA.  :roll:

I guess an increased DA mod would drive bards and a number of other classes up the wal, so there's not much else they could add specific to our class.

CE and Accuracuy would be $$$, but unlikely.  With what's left after that, I'd prefer avoidance I suppose.