Main Menu

Was this the real reason Yantis bought the old forums?

Started by Bulge, January 09, 2004, 08:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulge

http://fohguild.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10151

Sorry to break my own advice of letting the Yantis thing rest, but all these machinations in the mmorpg-industry interest me very much, so.....

Did Yantis simply want to buy the domain and not the community, so he can re-sell it to Sony later on for more money?

EDIT: Bah, already regret that I soiled the Campfire with this post, feel free to move to Rant. :(
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Pojodan

Hmmm.. sounds like a real 'Sadaam' problem to me.

Will this be the end of EQ as we know it?  or will it just be another strange non-issue that ends up being put in some stupid flash cartoon next year for us to laugh at?

Personally I'm going the 'it's a passing fad' way.  Yantis failed to aquire Allakhazam and several other key sites like EQDiva, so he and IGN certainly won't be taking over or starting a trend.  No doubt they'll both rake in cash on this endevor, but IMHO Yanti's purchase of EQbeastlord and EQDruid was a rather poor decision since what's the main feature of these websites?  The forums!  And anyone that visits these sites is 90% likely to browse forums and thusly already knows of item/play selling companies.

Anyhoo... I've learned how to spot 'ebayers' and can avoid them fairly easily, so the impact of all this is fairly light to me.

Buku

For those of you that believe this please drop me a note. I have a bridge I want to talk to you about as an investment opportunity.

Why does anyone listen to that guy anyway? I guess the more important question is why does he still play a game he loves to bash?
Bukar
65 Feral Lord
Lanys

Buru Whitebear
65 Prophet
Lanys

Former Moderator at an Unmentioned Beastlord Forum

Bulge

Bah, I guess I was just in a conspiratory mood. :)

No thanks for the bridge, I still have one lying around unused in the garage....
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

renl

There is reason why Sony  may be looking into doing this.   Please remember this is my little opinion on the matter and nothing more.

In the EULA it states that all property belong to SOE this includes but does not limit to characters, items and coin.  So regarding Yantis and IGE are doing more than breaking the EULA they are breaking federal crimes.

YOu will all aggree with me that selling property that does not belong to oneself is illegal and i beleive that is called fencing.  Now you make a website and said these wares it becomes an federal crime and in violation of the FCC.  

The reason why Yantis and IGE are getting away with this is because they are using this little line as a loophole "We are not selling you the items we are selling the time that it took to acquire these items, coin etc."  In my opinion, since you are a company that solely sells said wares and you do not play the game that loophole should not be viable.

WIth that said,  Sony migth do this just to have a case against these criminals.  They will be selling there own property which is trademark of the SOE corporation and will have a better chance of shuting down Yantis and IGE for good.

It might be far fetched or I am just a crazy bastard on a keyboard. But I think it makes sense why there is a possibilty Sony is might do it

mac173

Sony has been catering to the "instant gratification" type player for a while, with easier leveling, shared bank and plat slots, super XP zones like PC. They wouldn't suprise me much offering items or plat for RL money.

I don't think it would effect the game any more than yantis has, or all the changes to date.

I can't see SOE allowing the selling of established chars. They will let those chars go away, and sell all new chars created by them. They will not share the money, or the control. The option that they think will bring the most profit, is the one they will go with, regardless of gameplay issues, and they may think that EQ2 is going to drain EQ of players, so lets cash in now.

Ooklak

Well, according to http://64.127.69.85/beastlord/zem.htm Crushbone is the same XP mod as Paludal.

And as for the rest of the "instant gratification" upgrades, I look at it as more of "we've done it the hard way long enough" than anything else.

Sony has listened to customer requests and put stuff in that was needed.

Don't think I'm a fanboy or anything, I just don't think Sony is catering to people any more than any company around that's actually listening to and improving their product the way any good company should.

Nunyabiz

Yantis has been bought out by IGN BTW, so no more Yantis to blame all the world of Norranths woes on.

Whiptail_Warclaw

Quote from: NunyabizYantis has been bought out by IGN BTW, so no more Yantis to blame all the world of Norranths woes on.

He's working for them now, so you can still blame him, if you like...  :wink:
Baron Whiptail "Mr Whippy" Warclaw
Iksar Savage Lord of 62 seasons.
Drinal server.
- Created: October 09, 2003.
Bringing ice-cream to the people of Norrath for the last 62 seasons...

"The only thing worse than one Beastlord, is six Beastlords, in a group, in the same zone as you... We'll try and leave you a few mobs."

Murkk Dakruul

Murkk Dakruul
Feral Lord of Agony

And the earth cracked open in a spew of ash and flame and from the smoke arose a new evil,
A new demon of the world, and it was given the name "beastlord". With burning eyes it stared
down at us and raised its hidiously disfigured claw and it.....cast MGB paragon.

Rhaynne

QuoteYantis has been bought out by IGN BTW

I wouldn't put too much stock in this actually being true.  The same thing has been reported in the past, the only difference being the amount of money paid out.