Main Menu

kick

Started by Xellen, April 30, 2005, 12:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xellen

Hi,  im not even sure  if this topic is supposed to even go under this heading.  Im new to this site and relatively new toa  beastlord.  I am lvl 37 and have been kicking my whole career.  A high lvl beastlord told me its not even worth the hotkey to have kick up,  and that i should just use that macro slot for a spell or something.  Is this true?  is kick worth using or is their more productive means?  thanks

Mahes

You probably won't get a definitive answer on this.

The best answer is whatever suits you.  At level 70 I still use it every time it refreshes.  It's free DPS and there's nothing wrong with free DPS.

Beyond that, not sure why you'd use a Hot Button for a spell really...maybe heal or something, but Alt-the spell number works just as well.

TrueRWB

If you're lucky you might get a 50 shot on kick.  Other than that it's pretty useless.  Like Mahes said it is free DPS.  But if it doesn't impress you my suggestion is don't use it. 
True Red, White, and Blue American...Respect the Colors!
AKA: TrueRWB the Wise
:pint: Drink up tonight...WE RAID!

seizelia

i have a hit hotkey up on macro list, not really sure anymore , but im so used to it from bach when i was a little bitty beastie that every time i put something else in there im all gone to hell in combat free dps aye but put whatever you feel comfortable in your macro slots  :mrgreen:

Stingite

I read something somewhere that said kick = about 2 DPS.  That said, I kick all the time even with the knowledge that it may be somewhere around 2 dps.  And hey! Just picked up the runewarded belt from Plane of time and it is +10 kick. hehe.  So recently, yeah, I've been a super kickster. weee!  Think I saw a crit kick for around 70 the other day.  That's enough to make any firebeetle run in fear. (earth shakes)

I've also heard that some people will tie in the Feral Swipe AA with their kick hotkey, so might be worth it to get yourself used to the idea of kicking all the time.

:wink:

Kivuli

I tried replacing my kick hotkey with something more useful, but since it's been that 3 key ever since I was a wee cub I keep hitting whatever I put there every couple of seconds. Keep it I say.

Tastian

It's free dps and gives you something else to do.  Personally I'm a button masher and have no problems kicking whenever it lights up.  Truth be told I've gotten to the point that if I'm awake the button almost never even lights up because I've got the timing down to the point where I click it before it lights up lol. 

Also to put how "useless" kick is into perspective you are looking at ~2dps from doing it at higher end.  That is more dps than feral swipe does, and people throw 9AA into that.  You have to sustain ~30dps from nukes (procs/cast) in order for the 12 points of SCF3 to be on par with kick.  Depending on the pet the crit/flurry AAs might not be as much of a dps boost as chaining kick is hehe.

I'm not trying to sell you on kick, and of course do what you want, but it's as close to "free" as you are going to get in this game and it's dps contribution isn't really that small.  I mean a 150dd proc aug on your MH with max dex is only going to give you about twice the dps overtime that kicking will.  Later on you start looking for any/all dps gains you can get and if you are grinding out missions or spending 40 AA and you don't have kick hotkeyed that's kinda funny imo.  8)

Kitathia

I have a kick hotkey and use it all the time - you have 10 hot key slots - so you ought to have room for that one.. unless you rather waste a space for umm.. sense heading?  :-P

Kitathia 53 Primalist of Rodcet Nife

Savage Spirit http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1265061 KitKat -80 Beastlord - Quellious

Grbage

Checked my logs, kick is coming out at 1.89dps out of 3million +damage done(clean out the logs on a semi regular basis so this is all I have). Like stated before, it's free DPS. That button only stays ungrayed when I'm not fighting.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Kanan

I'm a kb macro fanatic.. had to change a lot of the default kb settings bcs of it.  When I play any other alt, the Num5 key (which is also my spring look key) has to have nothing on it, else I'll be constantly hitting it, from hitting kick so much, just reflexively.  I have to swap to a different pad than my first one because I'll kick out of invis.  I know a wizzy who has sit/stand hotkeyed and still using years after he's started.. bcs its just such a reflex for him to hit it. 

If you've gotten to the stage to where its a reflex action to hit it (i do the same reflex action on feral swipe now (wtb same timer as kick ><)), keep it up.  As they've said, its free, easy dps, and u get a pop on the mob every 5 secs or so.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Jatrulak

I, like Tastian, was very much a button masher and had gotten to the point of hitting several of my more common keys(Kick, Feral Swipe, whatever nuke(s) i have loaded, etc) before they could even repop, and used it for the free dps as stated above. But at one point one of my raid officers asked many of us to stop kicking due to its push(I'd never(and still haven't) seen anyone say anything about kick-push being a problem) and lack of significant dps so my kicking tended to decline during raids. But other than that, I see no reason to not use kick. Hotkey spots should not be a problem, you have 10 slots per page and 10 pages, that's more than enough imo. I consistently used up to 4 pages, shift+# just became natural after so long.

Sharrien

I once scored a finishing blow on a kick.  "You kick for 32001 points of damage!" Of course I made sure I got the monk's attention who was in my group and pointed out how wimpy all his fancy kicks were.   :-P
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre

Kanan

rofl.. I'm half tempted to waste an AA on that, just so I can kick a mob to death until I get one of those to put on my sig ;p
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Chickennuggets

I've had tanks ask me not to kick... they say its more aggro than the damage is worth.  Not sure if they are right or not, but a lot of tanks have kick put in their aggro hotbutton, along with beg and stuff.
Chickennugets  http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1226640
Lvl 70 Beastlord
Steel and Honor
Saryn server

Dummkopf

Never heard about big push or aggro on our kick. I put it in my feral swipe hotkey and since its a /doability thing i can easy swap it for slam if i fight casters, that way i just have one hotkey for both things.