Main Menu

2 Box machine?

Started by ranaraza, July 08, 2005, 03:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizsolo

Just to weigh in... I 2 box on a machine that was smokin' 3 years ago.  Now, not so much...  :roll:

But 2 boxing works awesome on it.

AMD 2500+ Barton
1GB Ram
AGP 9800 xt pro (well, 9800 something, not at home to look).
Multiple sata drives.

I have EQ copied to 2 of the drives.  While I'm sure I gain a small performance gain from reducing drive contention, my main reason for 2 is to give me the ability to "de-tune" the secondary session a bit.   My main EQ directory has all the bells and whistles on.  The other copy has a mix of old and new graphics (I have to have ME as new graphics or the old barbie bearskin hat makes me cry), no sound, no spell effects.   

/follow works fine for me if the follower is glancing downwards.  Doesn't have to be straight down, but helps take a bit of the lag out.  Only zoning issues I have is going into PoK is downright painful.  All my other zoning seems just barely slower than if I'm only running 1.

I don't use any 3rd party stuff, just plain old eq in windowed mode.  I run both sessions at 1152x864 stacked on top of each other and just use alt-tab to flip back and forth. 

I tend to box my beast/cleric combo or younger SK/Shm combo.  the cleric and shm pretty much do all their stuff via hotkey macros so I can just alt-tab, hit a key and alt-tab back.
Lizsolo - Barbie Beastlord and her dog Poochie
Rodcet Nife

noslen

I 2 box my BST and WAR on one machine using Wineq2, works great for me, I alt tab between windows.  When I first log into both accounts it takes about 2 min for the lag to stop after that it runs just as quick as running 1 window, here are my specs..

AMD 4000+
PNY NVIDIA 6800GT 256MB
1GB CORSAIR RAM
Running a Raid 0 - Very nice for Speed

My cleric I run on my laptop.. So if I lag I wont die  :-P
70 Beastlord
Lord Noslen

Bristlebane Server