Main Menu

New to EQ? Bored with EQ? Something different...

Started by Rumbledor, July 20, 2005, 09:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumbledor

*Note: This post has been submitted to some other EQ-related forum sites as well.

Hello. I've lurked here off and on for some time now, and thought some of you might be interested in trying something different...

I've grown bored with the xp grind on my moderately twinked alts, just trying to get them up to a level equivalent to that of their Bazaar-purchased gear where I can begin the fun part - questing and adventuring for items that are actual upgrades. I've tried starting fresh on a new server, but it's tough going if you don't have others to play with who are of the same mindset or in the same boat.

That said, I plan to start a "no twink" style guild with all new characters, preferrably on a server that is new to as many of the charter members as possible. The core concept of this guild would be the idea of being self-sufficient, doing for yourself and for your guildmates, while avoiding the pitfalls of outside shortcuts and other practices that tend to detract from the game in the long run. I know, I know, people have different ideas of what constitutes twinking, so that would be up for discussion, but some of the few core rules might include:

- No purchasing of weapons or armor
- No extravagant gifting of weapons, armor or items
- No farming beyond supporting your own tradeskills, faction or questing
- No inappropriate-level buffs

Wouldn't it be nice for many more of the mobs you kill to have the chance to drop actual gear upgrades for you rather than what you now consider vendor trash? This would be a great opportunity for like-minded people to get together and maybe once again experience the satisfaction of obtaining that Shiny Brass Shield or Forest Loop. So much of the game would once again be opened up and enticing to you. It would also be a fantastic environment for new players, providing them a more even playing field, while at the same time giving them the benefit of the experiences of veteran players. It would give us an opportunity to get out of the rut and re-visit some old world content that some of us may never have even seen the first time(s) around.

Naturally, it would be expected that most people would continue playing their mains on other servers, so this would be considered an "alt" endeavor, at least initially.

Obviously this won't appeal at all to some people, so it'd be cool if we could just forego any criticisms in favor of positive dialog.

If you're interested, please drop me an email at [email protected]. Once we get enough people, I'll arrange some sort of informal meeting to discuss some of the finer points.

hakaaba

Couldnt agree with ya more...but im not starting over now :p  imo it was way easier to do that stuff in the luclin days when there wasnt even a bazaar.  Ah the good old days.

And before someone posts and says the bazaar is in luclin...for a long time it wasnt active yet :)

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

rdahl

Playing untwinked and only buying what you've can with what you've earned plat wise (not through any schemes such as buy low/sell high) is a trend lately.  I have two friends doing just that, with one who plans starting new characters every time one reaches 50.  There is even a thread on the EQLive forums calling for a Kunark era server never to be upgraded.

Interesting.  I remember playing my first main, a pally, and getting so excited when I had a full set up cloth armor and rusty 2handed sword.  I remember spending hours just sitting in the EC tunnel and watching the /oocs for something I could afford and was an upgrade.  I remember getting slaughtered at level 15 the first time I ventured into WC in my new full set of leather armor.  I remember buying a fine plate bp which completely wiped out my bank account. 

But I also remember being able to get a group at level 5, 10, 15-55 and 60.  My level 51 chanter has to be PL'ed because I may go hours without even seeing a full group in my level range in the lfg tool.  I invite everyone I see regardless of class when I do play her and still rarely get a full group of 6.  My level 55 monk sometimes gets a group but not often.

Blacknose Crackedfang 71st season of The Nameless

JillieMT

I would love a Velious server. That is still, in my opinion, the best expansion ever. Great raiding areas, interesting faction juggling, and plenty of fantastic quests.

The beastlord is the only post-Velious upgrade that I can't live without, hehe! Everything else can get tossed.  :-D
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio