Main Menu

Where to loot my own lowbie equipment?

Started by Prelgor, July 27, 2005, 08:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelgor

Hello!  I've recently signed on to an interesting experiment.  A group of us are starting fresh with new characters on a new server.  The catch is, we have decided to essentially play without using the Bazaar.  Any equipment that we want, we will loot ourselves from kills made personally.  This is obviously nostalgia-induced, "the way it used to be played", but also because it's just more fun to loot upgrades than to buy them in the Bazaar.  Sadly, I am not "old" enough (2.5 years playing EQ) to have the nostalgia or memories of others, hence my question.

Can anyone recommend low-ish level targets for decent upgrades for a wholly untwinked BST?  I definitely plan to hit Kurn's for an Iksar Berserker Club (7/18 is godly, for that level), and, of course, I'm looking into the newbie quest armor, both for my race and the the ghulam armor in Shadeweaver's.  As an aside, the gear to be found in the new tutorial zone is quite nice, considering - I have a 5/23 piercer, I'm hoping to get a rare drop, which can be better than that, and I have a few pieces of No Drop armor with minor stat boosts (1 or 2 to Str or Agi, for example) and AC just slightly better than cloth.  I will also be exploring any other tutorial quests, as they become available, if only to check them out.  As an iksar, I will be looking at the iksar claw quests.  The Reishicyben in Paludal apparently drops a nice HTH weapon (8/26), and I'll see what I can get from the loda kai before that, while doing the Vah Shir shoulder and cloak quests in Shadeweaver's. 

Can anyone recommend other targets that will be solo or small-group accessible before we get to the stage of handling, say, Sol A or Dalnir? 

JillieMT

You can try these seven lowbie armor tasks from PoK. They are good for 10-20 level characters.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3144
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Prelgor

For anyone out there who cares...

The loot from the named in the tutorial is nice.  I have a 7/24 dagger and a 8/28 mace, which is better than anything else I can kill for around level 10.  There are also items with Minor Mana Preservation I (5% off everything you cast) and 10% melee haste (darn!  missed that one.). 

I found some more nice lowbie loot.  The dervishes in West Commonlands and the deserts of Ro can drop a Dervish Cutthroat Ring (AC 1, +2 Dex).  The "an elite gnoll guard" in Blackburrow can drop a Spiked Collar (AC 3, +3 Str).  If you have good Qeynos faction, you can get Bear-Hide boots (AC 5, Extended Enhancement I) from Chanda Miller in Qeynos Hills for a MQ bear pelt and 15 gold.  I'm currently level 13, still plugging along, and having loads of fun, despite having "only" level-appropriate gear.  :) 

Oh, and thanks Jillie.  Those quests give *very* nice rewards for the level! 

Dakat

If you are high enough to fight with your friends in Dawnshroud Peaks yet, those Tribals near GE zone in drop a POLISHED STEEL ULAK that is what I used when I first started playing my beastlord. Its a 9/27 +3ac,str,wis +25hp,mana and its H2H which is a skill good to work on

Prelgor

Thanks for the tip, Dakat!  At the moment, I'm level 20 and nowhere near DSP.  I also have a subconscious aversion to the place. :)  I started as an iksar, doing as much as I can to try out the progressive claw quest, and I'm up to the third stage.  The first two stages required camping a few rare spawns.  The third stage was very easy, just some easy tradeskill combines, except for having to forage some deadbone barley in Field of Bone.  The fourth stage requires several rare drops from the bottom of Dalnir, so that will wait for a while.  At this point, I now have a 9/22 primary-only HtH weapon, and an Iksar Berserker Club (7/18) in my off-hand.  I think my weapons are set for a few levels.  :) 

Nekokirei

Pregl,

have you looked at any of the Collector's Box quests in PoK--each quest results in a no-drop piece of gear with a focus effect and ok stats.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2184

ome of the quests require more levels than you've got, but IIRC, the ring and the veil are both doable with your group friends.

good hunting!
Predator Nekokirei
An Officer and
Feral Lady to
Prophets of War -- Stromm

Prelgor

Good call, Nekokirei! 

The Sarnak blood for the veil is pretty easy to get, especially as an iksar.  Getting the veil requires an invisible run through Droga.  /shudder  Gets the blood pumping!  I'm well past level 9, so I no longer ranger-gate with my gear.  At this point, level 21, I think I'll wait until I get SoW (at 24 now!), to hedge my bets, take a few cloudy potions with me on the run, and just eat the cost of a corpse summons in the guild lobby.  This would have been utterly impractical for a non-gating class above level 9 (and below about, what, 60?) before the corpse summoners. 

The ring is on my to-do list with bright sparkly stars next to it.  The hardest part looks to be getting the HQ cougarskin from Iceclad.  I can go get a cockatrice beak right now, the rockhopper eye is easy, and I already have a few undead froglok tongues (from Innothule; can also get them from low level frogloks in Qeynos sewers). 

Prelgor

My latest camp has been in Beholder's Maze (Gorge of King Xorbb).  I tried camping the evil eyes for either a Polished Bone Hoop (Mana Preservation 1) or a Polished Bone Bracelet (Affliction Efficiency 1).  Being an iksar who cannot yet cast Invisibilty or SoW, I'm scared to run past the wall in Misty Thicket, so I went the long way around through East Karana.  At level 21, the evil eyes are a tough fight.  I took down about six of them without a drop before getting killed after recovering from a lag storm.  Enchanter mobs are *nasty*!  Definitely hit yourself with Sicken before fighting them (the weak long duration DoT breaks mez), but I also kept getting charmed.  Several times my butt was saved because my warder kept on fighting, even after I was neutralized.  Side note - if you are charmed, and your pet kills a mob, the mob poofs, as if killed by an NPC instead of a player.  I'll try again after a few more levels.  Where can I camp some good MR gear?  :) 

Nekokirei

woops! sorry about the veil Preg, it's been a while sincei completed that series for an alt and me memory ain't whatit used to be.

i do remember thinking some of the turn in items were awfully high forthe reward--but the ring should be doable witha group solo it is gonna b e lot touger--if possilbe--for you right now. =(

Predator Nekokirei
An Officer and
Feral Lady to

Tiroon

I think your next best bet to get melee haste would be the GoD quest here. As an iksar you will have faction issues in Ak'Anon but you have a group of friends and the end result is a tradeable item so still worth investigating.

You will need a reasonably skilled skilled baker and a smithed filleting knife but the mobs that drop the items for baking are easy (mammoths in Everfrost and brownies in Steamfont). What is a reasonably skilled baker? Well if you just do fish rolls to get 122 skill in baking your chance to make the hardest combine, the jumjum cake, will be 49%. As an iksar you will have to get the jumjum from Shadow Haven rather than Rivervale since you write that you have not yet formed a hobbit to eat haffrings. :evil:

For some good advice on tradeskilling look into this thread.
Tiroon Firefang
Vah Shir Savage Lord
Stromm

Ignorance killed the cat! Curiosity was framed.

Prelgor

Oooohhh!  So, for a few moments of sheer terror in Barindu, a few cloudy potions, the inevitable corpse summons or three, and some baking skill, I can get a 21% haste item?  I am so there.  :)   Thank you!  The hardest part might be making enough room in my bank so I can just strip nekkid and avoid the expense of the corpse summons, if I get killed early. 

The gnome faction is doable.  I once worked up a troll to decent faction by killing Meldrath and the minotaurs in the Steamfont caves over and over again.  I can't do it at level 21, but someday. 

Oh, Nekokirei, I'm not worried about the invisible run through Droga.  It's easier to do it on a lowbie necro/mag/enc (who can cast invis on themselves), but I haven't ruled it out.  It will be exciting!  I'm compiling lists and just taking things on as I get the get the necessary oomph.  Most of the rest of the guild is hovering around level 13, so I'll be patient.  :) 

Nekokirei

that's the spirit!  btw, you're not on Stromm are you?
Predator Nekokirei
An Officer and
Feral Lady to

Prelgor

Quote from: Nekokirei on August 18, 2005, 07:21:43 PM
that's the spirit!  btw, you're not on Stromm are you?

Sadly, no.  I started an untwinked lowbie on Stromm, mostly to mess around with the new tutorial.  Then a group of people decided to start a whole untwinked guild together, and it was decided to do it on Maelin Starpyre. 

Tiroon

Quote from: Prelgor on August 18, 2005, 06:32:13 PM
Oooohhh!  So, for a few moments of sheer terror in Barindu, a few cloudy potions, the inevitable corpse summons or three, and some baking skill, I can get a 21% haste item?  I am so there.  :)   Thank you!  The hardest part might be making enough room in my bank so I can just strip nekkid and avoid the expense of the corpse summons, if I get killed early. 

Well there is the small matter of the forages in Eastern Wastes but the forage table seems to be small and only high value items on it. Bank space is a big problem if you do tradeskills. I'd recommend doing the run immediately after the next time you lose a duel. 8-)

The gnome faction is doable.  I once worked up a troll to decent faction by killing Meldrath and the minotaurs in the Steamfont caves over and over again.  I can't do it at level 21, but someday. 

There is a another mino camp past the Lfay zone out coming from pok. Those should be easy enough at 21. Even the Hero spawning there should be no problem.
Tiroon Firefang
Vah Shir Savage Lord
Stromm

Ignorance killed the cat! Curiosity was framed.

Prelgor

Quote from: Tiroon on August 19, 2005, 08:58:54 AM
Quote from: Prelgor on August 18, 2005, 06:32:13 PM

There is a another mino camp past the Lfay zone out coming from pok. Those should be easy enough at 21. Even the Hero spawning there should be no problem.

Ah, I forgot about those.  Thanks!  I'll give them a shot, next time I pass that way.  My recollection was that the minotaurs were just noise, compared to the massive faction hits from Meldrath, but maybe the ones near LFay spawn quickly.  It's too bad the kobolds no longer give faction hits, last time I checked.  Darn - another character who can't afford to hunt the gnomes in Sol A.  I was so looking forward to doing that one of these days.   :evil: