Main Menu

New troll warder...

Started by Tastian, September 15, 2005, 12:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tastian

Troll warders had issues for awhile.  The reason they were originally shrunk had to do with geometry issues as well. 

Grbage

I knew about the old graphic problem that caused them to be shrunk. Just had not heard of anything recently.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

trixbro

gotta say nay as well. I picked my troll cause I wanted a gator to follow me around.

trixbro gatoraide

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1181732

Kihawahine

Yay!  I very much like the new warder graphic.  Lots more detail...and my barbarian beastlord friend is soooo jealous! :-D

ShadowBlade3000

I'd like to add more to my opinion and go into a little more detail. You must understand before reading that I really loved my alligator warder, so I mean no offense to those that like the basilisk model.

I, like many other Troll Beastlords, created our character solely for the Alligator. I personally love the old alligator model. It looked cool to me, and I loved how they grinned when they walked. I even gave it a name and was very attached to it.

Logging on without being told in the patch message about the change was fusterating and saddening. Instead of seeing my cute, loveable alligator, I got this ugly 6 legged lizard. I was extremely heartborken and angry, until I read that it was "temporary," at least I hope it would be temporary once they fixed the issue.

If it was a new alligator model, it would be a different story. But our current warders are a different species other than alligator, and basilisks make NO sense to me whatsoever to be a warder for Troll Beastlords. They do not live in swamps and do not seem "animal-like" to me, mostly because they are a mythical creature and I tend to classify mythical creatures and real animals differently. They bear little, if any, resemblance to alligators that we had. Alligators very much fit Trolls because they were swamp animals where the Troll newbie zone was.

Given how attached I was to our old warder, I tried playing my Troll BL, and was ultimatly turned off because of the warder. Gone were the growls and grunts I loved to hear as my gator as he happily bit the mobs while grinning. They were replaced with loud hisses when my new warder casted a proc spell, along with a long stare at the mob. I really am turned off from playing my Troll Beastlord now because I loved my warder that much. I really can't stand looking at the new warder now because I think it looks hideous.

Everyday I am going to /feedback everyday my opinions and hope that somehow we get our alligators back. Given that it was a graphics issue, the point of doing it would be to at least let them know that we miss our alligators a lot. I'm sorry if anyone likes the new model, but maybe they could give us the option of choosing between the 2 warders. If that is possible. In any case, my BL is going to be on a break for now until he gets his alligator back. Be it the old model or a new "alligator" model. I'll take either. I just want an alligator as my warder instead of a 6 legged Basilisk. I miss our alligator a lot, and hope everyday that they will give it back.
Bagzak- L60 Troll BL
I want my alligator back! ;_;

Skratz

Move this if you need to, but here is a quick question for those who voted nay.

If you were creating a new bst today, would you pick troll, or a different class?
~Predator Skratz Nsniff º¿º
75 Beastlord of Vazaelle(Troll Power!)
Now residing in Maelin Starpyre

Brumbkab

I would of been iksar. I debated a long time between iksar and troll.. the gator won me over.

Brumbkab the troll

P.S. I feel the same as you shadow, I play with the sound down and my warder shrunk as small as he will go so I dont have to look at him. 

hakaaba

Does this mean other races might get an upgrade to their pet graphic?  Although id prefer to keep it a kitty, not randomly switch to a mushroom man pet or something lol

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Tastian

The troll warders have had issues for awhile.  They were original perma shrunk basically because of some geometry issues.  They changed it in part to address some of these issues.  Iksars currently have a bug where their pet freezes whenever they proc and the pet stops moving.  It's a real PITA when dealing with runners, kiting or trying to pvp. 

They aren't doing new warder graphics atm or changes all warders, but rather just addressing issues atm.  They've said the troll warder might go back to how it was, and they are still working on the iksar bug so I'm not sure what will happen there.  Will update as I know more.

ShadowBlade3000

Well I hope they fix the problem. I personally loved the old alligator model so I just want that back. I hope they know that a lot of Troll BL's are distraught over our temporary warder.

I appreciate the info Tast. Again, I look forward to, and also hope at the same time, getting my old warder back.
Bagzak- L60 Troll BL

Hanlaana

Quote from: Skratz on September 16, 2005, 04:24:52 PM
Move this if you need to, but here is a quick question for those who voted nay.

If you were creating a new bst today, would you pick troll, or a different class?

I think I would have not have picked troll. The troll and basilisk just don't seem to go together to me.  I probably would have picked Iksar.
Hanlaana Winterbourne
Beastlady of FV

ShadowBlade3000

If the Troll started with a Basilisk, I would've probably gone Iksar as well since they are my 2nd favorite race, and the scaled wolf is cute. I agree with the basilisk not fitting the troll, and it is hideous.
Bagzak- L60 Troll BL

Prelgor

Quote from: Skratz on September 16, 2005, 04:24:52 PM

If I were to start a new beastlord, iksar would be a very tempting choice.  In fact, I did recently start an iksar as an alt on another server.  The Gecko of Doom wasn't the only factor in me choosing a troll, but it definitely contributed.  Moreover, I'm attached to Binky, and I want him back, just the way he was. 

It seems to me that beastlords are somewhat unique in this respect.  Necros and mages are the other major pet classes, but their pets are summoned.  Shadowknight pets are just like necro pets, and the shaman pets are summoned spirits as well.  The beastlord's pet is not summoned, per se, but it is supposed to be our constant buddy.  More than any other class, beastlords have a reason to be attached to their pets.  I doubt these emotional issues would even come up if, say, the necro spectre pet or one of the mage elementals had similar issues and needed a drastic graphical change. 

Let me turn the question around.  If you are a troll who likes the new warders, would you be just as happy with a gator model that looks just as good?  I suspect the "shiny newness" and better graphics help make the new warders more appealing.  I would bet that, if SOE spends the resources to make a nifty looking gator model, we would win you basilisk converts right back.   :wink:

Gorz

Let's get this fixed then. First of all: Does anybody know exactly why our warders where shrunk in the first place? Was it because players got stuck in dungeon entrances when there was a troll BL sitting there with his warder?
In that case the solution would be almost easy: Make it so that only the body of the warder (but not the head or tail) can collide with players, the head and the tail should be marked "no collision" so to speak.

RP wise Gator/Crocodile is the only way to go for Trolls. I am currently happy with the Basilisk because: 1. It is a little bigger than the shrunken gator. 2. It looks cool and 3. It has those neat fx (lashing tongue, footstep-dustcoulds etc.). Of course having a reasonably sized gator would be even better.

Back when they shrank our warders I was heartbroken and had problems keeping up playing Gorz. My solution was to shrink myself twice and that got me over the hump so to speak. However to me this whole warder problem is a HUGE issue. We need that fixed ASAP: Since we do not know what the exact problem was however, it is only possible to throw random thoughts about.
One idea would be the partial collision/partial noncollision of the Gators. Another would be to give Beastlords who level past 60 the PoN Gator model (which hopefully works better than the old model)... I think THAT would rock. Ogres could get the PoStorms Bear at 60, Iksar and Barbs could get respective higher level pet models (never saw a different Scaled Wolf or Wolf so I can't say). Speaking of Iksar: Maybe they could populate the Field of Bone with little Tureptas and give them Turepta warders OR even cooler: Replace the scaled wolf with Scorpions ! How cool would that be?

Maybe we could toss some ideas together here?
Revenge fer Grobb, da Frogs will bleed !

shenker

Yay, I really like not having a gecko looking thing. Since this is temporary though.......Either fix the size of the original warder or give us something different. It can still be a croc of some sort but one that looks better and is not so microscopic.
Shenker

Troll Wildblood on Test Server
My main since Dec 2001 through thick and thin.
I LOVE MY BEAST!

WOW- Shenker 60 Human Priest on Lightbringer. (retired)