Main Menu

More damage Vrs extra proc. ANd Fero 5

Started by Dreead, October 04, 2005, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreead

Well I'm curious as to what would do more dps now with the new DoDh offensive aa's. I have the chance to get Bladed Warstone or another proc for epic 2. Personally I want the 2 damage aug, just cause I would like to hit harder (personal prefreance). But I'm curious as to what would do more dps 2 +1 damage, or 175 proc.

Also is ferocity 5 item worth getting? Or would it be still such a minor dps upgrade that it's not even worth it.

Tastian

Fero V is just 15% more double attacks, so with our rate of 30% after depths AAs that'd mean we get ~4.5% more hits which is more than another full rank of BF.

As the proc aug verse damage aug it'll vary a bit as well.  175DD with WA5 MH would be 3 ppm, or 525 damage per minute.  Which is just under 9 damage per second extra.  My old calcs for point of damage were based on previous DA rate in PoP which put 1 more point of weapon damage at ~3dps, but that varies a bit.  Each point of ele damage is about 0.5 real weapon damage in most cases because of resists and the range of mobs you often fight at the high end.  With new AAs I'm not sure, but it'd be a hard call.  For me I tank a lot still and solo and what not, and when hitting from the front the proc aug doesn't lose anything, but the +damage aug does.

Another point of debate would be aggro.  Since the damage aug just adds to the weapon it wouldn't generate any extra hate, but the proc aug would, so the proc aug would probably giving you ~600 more hate per minute on average for the damage it is doing, while the damage aug wouldn't be.  It's pretty close overall I think, so I'm honestly not sure what I'd go with.  Since you said you were already inclined toward the damage aug for personal preferance I'd probably go that way just for the damage, aggro, and higher extra damage while bursting too.  *shrugs*

Bengali

Well, one thing that I just found out yesterday is that according to the dps calculator, I should get more damage with Hallowed bloodclaw (250 DD proc) in Mainhand and Epic 2.0 in offhand than the other way around.  Now that's not a huge surprise, BUT the calculator also shows that I'd do better damage with a Blade Warstone aug and a 175 DD on the epic in offhand than I would with two 175 point DDs.  That's something I'd like to test more in game, but I suppose the theory as to why that might be true is that procs are drastically reduced for your offhand, while melee damage is much less so in light of sinister strikes and Ambidexterity.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Grimwill

Offhand, damage augs fair better than procs due to lower proc rate in offhand vs. main.

Tastian

The lower proc rate in OH and ambi helps a lot.  Sinister doesn't do anything in terms of a damage aug because it's a flat rate damage bonus based upon the delay of the weapon, so it doesn't impact the OH aug choice at all.

One thing that I kinda mentioned, but that I like is that the +damage aug scales a lot better especially at this level of play. 

Things that help proc aug dmg:

-  Combat effects
-  SCF/FoM AA's

Things that help +damage aug:

-  Cleave
-  Fero
-  Overhaste
-  Outside buffs
-  Disc'n
-  Etc

The +damage aug simply gets more benefit from other things at this level of play.  Similar to how some people finally have/had shinai catch up to ED.  The ED and proc augs give a great flat rate boost to damage, but the ratio type gains coming from the higher +damage aug will be helped by a bard, zerker, feroV for more swings, cleaveV for more crits, disc'n for more damage/crits, etc.  All the while causing less aggro because the +damage aug is simply part of the swing, where as the proc aug is a spell and generates more aggro each and every swing. 

I was a firm +proc person for a very long time, but a lot of recent changes have really shifted the curve and made +damage augs much more attractive.

Kanan

so nice to see ferocity on that list now :)

I'll admit to still being a lil annoyed that, from a pure dps standpoint, if I were to get feroV & cleaveV and keep most of my other raid attributes constant, our 2.0 would end up offhanded, even with the damage aug vs the flayed flesh handwraps.  But then again, I'm a tap freak, so I just want keld's tap hammer and 2.0 ;p
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Bengali

Yeah, I'm relegated to offhanding 2.0 (with a damage aug) except on mobs that are immune to my mainhand procs.  It took some getting used to (and some people still look at me funny for doing it) but it's the best setup in terms of damage for most situations.

Oh and thanks Tast, I should've known sinister strikes wouldn't make a difference for what I was testing.  Duh.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Tastian

Fero always raised our dps "some" lol, but with IBF it's better.  Like I was saying all through beta the thing that's nice about IBF isn't just the boost it gives now, but the synergy of that boost compounding with other melee boosts.  There are some cases such as the damage aug, some weapons, and some situations where our overall dps goes up even more because it allows us to catch up a bit more.

The 2.0 going OH is just one of those things, kinda like the 1.5 going OH and well most other weapons for us falling into that category lol.  *shrugs* Just part of the class I guess.

Beng-  nps lol, you spot me on slips all the time.  Bout time I can return the favor.  Maybe now people will boo and hiss you and strike down upon you with the negative karma~!!  8P

Jili

/e Boo's, Hisses and strikes down with negative Karma upon Bengali!

Tha't fair enough? =)

Pakratz

I think the best option is neither of those, but rather a 125 lifetap aug.  Consider this aug mainhand, with full healing aas, will regen you about 45 per tick to go along with about 6 dps.  At the cost of  3 dps you'll grab quite of bit of in-battle hp on a long fight.