Main Menu

Fero changes?

Started by Tastian, October 12, 2005, 09:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pusur

I cba to read all 12 pages on this subject. Id just like to say;
Making fero a groupbuff wouldnt be a problem.
I heard a rumor that the next expansion will have a lvl increase to 75 or 80.
Most other groupbuffs have always had one singletargetversion first and then groupversion of the same buff 2-3 lvls later. Oak and conviction comes to mind. So say we get an upgraded version of fero at 72 and the groupversion at 75?
Would give us the choice between single and groupbuff.

hakaaba

but fero isnt intended to be a group buff kind of thing.  Its intended to be an extremely limited, extremely powerful melee/slight defensive boost to only a few people per beastlord.

It's the kind of thing that generates utility if it were desirable.

The only problem is that when they gave us an "upgrade" they blindly ignored the rapid reduction in usefulness of pure attack while increasing the amount given by such a small amount that the buff is now virtually useless.

However people fall into the assumption that making the buff more convenient will make it more useful, when in fact only an increase in power (quite a sizable one in fact) would salvage the fero line.

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

pusur

Quotebut fero isnt intended to be a group buff kind of thing.  Its intended to be an extremely limited, extremely powerful melee/slight defensive boost to only a few people per beastlord.

Yes and so was Ferine Avatar to begin with......
Its called Champion now and is a groupbuff :wink:

hakaaba

and it costs what 2500 mana?

jitathab

If you could be arsed to read the whole thread you would have seen this has already been raised and discussed a lot.

hakaaba

i wrote several of the posts discussing it...

i'm just pointing out that theres no simple solution for fero; simply making it a group buff would be ineffective and would most likely be a complete waste of a "spell slot" (aka bsts get x amount of spells per expansion)

pusur

Quote from: PusurI cba to read all 12 pages on this subject.
:-D

Sry if i brought up an already overdiscussed subject :|

Just wanted to say what i had to say.....

And considering that beastlords are already waaaay underpowered it wouldnt be too much to ask if they gave us fero as groupbuff for the same amount of mana as the singlecast one.....(wishful thinking) :mrgreen:

Shamno

Well as it stands now, beastlords have no reason to be in a DPS group over other classes. Zerkers and rogues are no brainers for those reasons, but warriors are filling out slots more often then not anymore. Any change to fero should reflect our rightful role in DPS groups over a class who should be doing less DPS then us.

Now I don't think it needs to be a group wide buff, but rather only castable on group members. That way if they want fero they need to be in our group. It works for bards rather well. The draw back will be of course the other group utility this fills, but with resists now and days it really isn't much of an issue. Spell shieldings, very high resist mods on NPC spells, and etc....the resist portion is only a slight perk for the less resilant members anymore.

I think we also have to face the fact that the mana cost on this DPS upgrade is greater then the mana to DPS our other spells have now, such as the swarm pet. So the mana cost needs to be lowered or the duration lengthened; maybe a bit of both.

Another problem with fero is the same division of power we get. It is so far more useful on a monk or a ranger then it ever will be on us. I suggest a pet recourse effect be added to this to help diminish this issue, cast on us and a recourse hits the pet or useable on any pet class. The effect could be debated i think.

Now I not quite sure where to approach the change need to attack portion of this spell. Attack on this abiltiy is still quite low for us, but on some other classes it is sort of a decent upgrade. Adding additional focus on top of the attack portion, be it proc, lifetap, increase crit, etc. Really not sure....just know the whole double attack thing is worn out and reaching a cap soon for all those but bards and beastlords.

recoil silverclaws

just wondering, if there was any word on if there going to change the new fero at all tast, i know your working on a lot of issue's atm but was just wondering is all.
-Elder Recoil Rahl-
    -- of ctv --
a prexus guild
         and
-Hissar Spits-
   --of twinky alts-r-us--

Oiingo

Limited and badass.  That's all I want.

Talking with monks, rogues and berserkers, they really seem to like the idea of accuracy over the cap while maintaining the cost, targeting and duration.

Doesn't do anything for us, but I'm not sure what the answer is there.  Perhaps a damage bonus mod on the target for all direct damage spells.

Fero Rk I: +10 accuracy over cap, +2% DD modifier
Fero Rk II: +25 accuracy over cap, +5% DD modifier
Fero Rk III: +50 accuracy over cap, +10% DD modifier

I'd think something like this would be easy to code and it's all PC-based and would simply work off a buff check with the only possible server-side modification being a way to have over-cap accuracy.
Predator Oiingo Boiingo (80 beasty) of <Triality> on Maelin Starpyre

Otuol

Are you insane?  That would actuallty make us useful for something.  Beastlords aren't meant to be useful.  :-P

hokarz

isn't +15 accuracy 1% increase to dps so +50 accuracy would be about the same as a 200 increase in attack at over 2k attack, correct?
Savage Lord Hokarz

Kanan

over here, http://www.eqoutrider.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33 the rangers say its a 1% increase in chance to hit, not just dps.

Now, playing with copro/animist's spreadsheet, with my gear, at 70, changing accuracty 10% changed dps 1.99.  Not 1.99%.. just 1.99 dps

1.99/325 (abt where I'm at atm in ideal conditions on that sheet) ~ .612%

1.99/250 (call it tacvi geared beast (bst only weapon & 1.5, fero 2, cleave 3, acc 50, CE 15)) = .995%

bleh.. now for a rogue/zerker/monk etc, the increases would be more.. but probably not that much either.

Man, it sounded like a good idea too =/

Someone please prove me wrong and point out what I did wrong here so the idea works =/

EDIT:

Done some thinking and here's the fruits of my thoughts atm:

Now.. this 1% increase.. obviously the dps return on this changes for everyone, since you will have more hits hitting.  The damage from a single hit isn't getting changed, but more hits are landing, therefore you should see an increase in damage output.  I think what we need to know is what this 1% increase in accuracy is for each of the classes.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Oiingo

OK, change of plans!

Fero Rk. I: stackable 2% damage modifier, +2% spell/dot shielding over cap
Fero Rk. II: stackable 5% damage modifier, +5% spell/dot shielding over cap
Fero Rk. III: stackable 10% damage modifier, +10% spell/dot shielding over cap

The catch: Buff lasts for six minutes base with a two minute recast timer, just like we have now.  After the buff wears off your target, there is a 30 minute cool down buff that prevents them from receiving this buff again until that wears off.  Casting on a player also gives the buff to their pet, which should help propel beastlords and magicians over warriors and bards during parsing and put them back where they belong.

As was pointed out earlier, this should be a short duration, extremily effective buff that helps someone both do more damage while also withstanding it.  That seems to be the ``vision'' for this buff line.  I've also often wondered why it should only be cast on melee when it could be so beneficial to a larger variety of classes.

The only downside I could see is with rangers, as they tend to do a great deal of melee and casting damage so would receive more benefit than most.  As for wizards, beserkers, monks and rogues, they would generally only have it for 6-10 minutes every 40-45 minutes with max extension, which shouldn't alter encounters too much.
Predator Oiingo Boiingo (80 beasty) of <Triality> on Maelin Starpyre

maxawesome

Quote from: Oiingo on October 06, 2006, 03:44:18 PM
OK, change of plans!

Fero Rk. I: stackable 2% damage modifier, +2% spell/dot shielding over cap
Fero Rk. II: stackable 5% damage modifier, +5% spell/dot shielding over cap
Fero Rk. III: stackable 10% damage modifier, +10% spell/dot shielding over cap

The catch: Buff lasts for six minutes base with a two minute recast timer, just like we have now.  After the buff wears off your target, there is a 30 minute cool down buff that prevents them from receiving this buff again until that wears off.  Casting on a player also gives the buff to their pet, which should help propel beastlords and magicians over warriors and bards during parsing and put them back where they belong.

As was pointed out earlier, this should be a short duration, extremily effective buff that helps someone both do more damage while also withstanding it.  That seems to be the ``vision'' for this buff line.  I've also often wondered why it should only be cast on melee when it could be so beneficial to a larger variety of classes.

The only downside I could see is with rangers, as they tend to do a great deal of melee and casting damage so would receive more benefit than most.  As for wizards, beserkers, monks and rogues, they would generally only have it for 6-10 minutes every 40-45 minutes with max extension, which shouldn't alter encounters too much.

Given the other ranked dmg mod spell we have (pet haste), I would guess that Rk. I could be like +3%, +3%, Rk. II would be +4%, +4%, and Rk. III would be +5%, +5%, which honestly seems like a good return if they are truly stackable, and over caps.