Main Menu

exp per hour - not exp per kill

Started by Et^Cetera, October 24, 2005, 04:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Et^Cetera

Not really a rant as such, more of a pet-peeve.

Nearly every post I read talks about exp per kill, and % per kill. It was only when I read Tastians post about parsing that I thought to compare the two subjects.

Now I always rate my hunting grounds 1 of  3 ways.

1) Exp per hour
2) Exp per session
3) Minutes per AA

I just dont think % per kill is accurate as it doesnt figure in downtime (if any) and makes me think its like someone doing a parse with 3 fights as their sample size showing amazing DPS but without showing downtime

The only think I do count in its favour is that a 12k Anguish geared 1%exp is going to be the same as Joe4k_bazaar 1%exp given the same level.

So.. not so much a ROOOOAAARRRR!!!!!!... more a quiet growl.
Cailus EtCetera with her trusty side kick Elllerton
Always lost, somewhere on AB.

Kanan

welp.. for me (and I'll grant I'm a biggish boy ;p) I've tried to portray it in a constant pulls fashion for my solo xp spot over at c1 in fire.  Popping xp aa, i get pretty much 2 full AA in that time frame.  So double that for getting half the xp and that's still 2aa/hr.  Granted sticking around there for over an hr makes my brain start to bleed from boredom, but its doable.

Some of more fun i had recently was just throwing some dps at the birds when another guild came there & were gonna pull them.  They were polite enough to move away from where I pull to (i pull outside c1 in front of birds.  Just my preference & since most groups working the middle dun kill fast nuff to get the ones I pull, its nice:) and then my buddy & I just decided to go beat on the bird for a lil bit for grins.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Tastian

That's a point I've tried to make several times et.

The exp per kill is very misleading because it totally ignores numerous other factors that play in how fast exp goes...

-  Kill time:  How long did it take you to get 3% for that kill?  Could you have killed 4 1%'s in that time?
-  Expense:  Ok 8% AA, that's hot, did you run OOM?  Did you have to med after 1?  after 2? do you have downtime?
-  How many mobs do you have?  I used to have one spot I <3'd camping and the exp per kill was great, but there were only 4 mobs there.  8P  I'd kill 4 mobs, afk for 10 minutes, kill 4 mobs, afk for 10 minutes, etc.  lol 

Lots of other factors, but yeah the "exp per kill" is extremely misleading and I've always tried very hard to put my exp in terms of time, and with details about downtime or sustained.  I've seen some people tell me how they got an AA in 30 minutes, but at the end of it they were OOM.  Yeah, if you are going to burn vet buff and then log for an hour to get back all your mana that can work, but for someone looking to grind for an hour or two+ that just doesn't work out so well.

Phinny

It helps to have both sets of information.  I will occasionally play at work (don't tell my boss) and for situations like that I go all out for a short period of time then med up while I do some computer work.  Get back and go again.  Most times I want to know how I am going to do consistantly over an hour or two of XPing

Phinny

Khauruk

I find % per mob to be more useful.  Gear/AAs is going to have a huge difference on xp per hour, and I know that I can't come close to matching the xp per hour of a higher geared peep in teh same zone.  xp per kill and allakhazam/a brief description of the zone/mobs is better I think.  Let each person judge what they can take.
TURNCOAT!!!!!