Main Menu

Fuck you Yantis!

Started by Whiptail_Warclaw, January 01, 2004, 06:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerath

QuoteIf a gaming website or Everquest matters more to you than anything in real life, namely money or family, then... answer that for yourself

If money matters more to you than honor, loyalty and integrity, then... answer that for yourself.
Kerath A'klawwn - Feral Lord <Stromm>

Atropine_BB

Honor, loyalty and integrity... who exactly do I know here on an anynomous online gaming website to express those principles to?

You have a completely skewed and twisted vision of what honor, loyalty and integrity are.  You are anonymous.  A visitor of a website.  I don't know you.  I don't care about you.  Family?  Those three principles apply.  Friends?  Again those three principles apply.  Anynomous gaming website?  Gimme a break.  I'd sell it if I had it in a second.  Honor, loyalty and integrity...  pfft, you need to go get some REAL friends, or take some time out for your family.  It's sad that you put a website above your family and friends in terms of honor, loyalty and integrity.

If I had the chance to make a profit, I would.  And guess where it would go?  Family and friends.  You should go make some real life friends Kerath, or spend some time with your family.  Your basing principles around a gaming website is just sad.
Elder Atropine Invictus
Beastlord Bard Ranger || Cleric Druid

mac173

Quote from: Atropine_BBWhen SoE purchased EQ from Verant why didn't all of you run from EQ saying "Verant sold us out!!"

Some did. Most did not. However, we played a part in building the value of the commodity that was sold, and were the "value" that was bought. Legally, he had the right to sell. But comparing  this community to a business is comparing apples and oranges. The eqbeastlord community was not formed, or developed, as a moneymaking venture. It was a group of like minded individuals (may I say friends) organizing a recreational activity. As such, profit was not the purpose. We posted, we donated money, time, thoughts and emotions to form the intangible entity that was eqbeastlord.

Tell me Atropoine, if Yantis offered you $5000 for your best friend, for the trust, friendship, shared memories and experiences of years, would you take it?

Perhaps in OAGA's situation you would, but would you really be suprised if you didn't have a best friend anymore?

Atropine_BB

Well, Mac...

Of course I would not trade my best friend for $5000.  Here is the deal...  How can you have a "best friend" on an anynomous gaming website.  The thought is just ridiculous to me.  Have you ever met and hung out with in real life anyone from this website?

Probably not.  That is what this website is to me.  A place to get information.  I don't know any of you, nor do I want to get to know any of you.  You are all anynomous and can be or act however you want on this website.  Here is what I do know...

I'm 29 years old, married and I have a 7 year old boy.  If I was offered $5000 for my anynomous online gaming website, I would take it in a second.  This christmas, my boy asked Santa for an X-Box.  Well he also needed more winter clothes.  Namely a new jacket and new shoes.  He seem to outgrow his entire wardrobe almost yearly.  His mother and I could not afford to buy him these new clothes and an X-Box for Christmas.  There is nothing more I would have wanted in this world than to see his eyes light up when he opened up that present and saw an X-Box and a game or two, in addition to the clothes.  Unfortunately, I had to settle with buying him a Gameboy Advance that came with a game.  However, he got his new jacket, shoes and a couple sweaters.

My wife and I have been planning to take a vacation.  Somewhere nice like Jamaica or Mexico.  We've been planning it for almost 4 years now.  But it seems we can't make it work just yet.  Our boy's education and sports are more important than a vacation.  For $5000 I could afford to take my wife on a fantastic vacation and have money left over to put towards our equity max fund.  Or put up a basketball hoop for our son in the driveway.

Yes, for $5000, I would give up this anonymous gaming community that discusses a virtual game, in a moments notice... without hesitation.  My family is far more important to me than any silly gaming community.  I have a feeling a lot of people are younger and may not understand where I am coming from.  $5000 would go a long way with a young family.  Personally, I would sell a silly website dedicated to a GAME... yes, just a game...  without regret, and without looking back.
Elder Atropine Invictus

Kerath

QuoteHonor, loyalty and integrity... who exactly do I know here on an anynomous online gaming website to express those principles to?

If those principles don't apply just because you are anonymous then you never had them to begin with.  We make decisions every day between following our morals or following the easier way.  Would you steal from a bank to save your father's house?  from a neighbor?  from a friend?  Would you prostitute yourself?  Would you cheat on a test?  help a friend cheat on a test?  How far would you go in hurting innocent people if it comes down to saving your family or friends?

I'm not saying that Oaga made the wrong choice in selling.  I don't have all the facts nor do I know any more than what he has told us and there is no way to know if that is the truth.  I do believe though that by not bringing the issue up to the community he breached our trust, compromised his integrity and sold out his honor.  Maybe all that was justified and maybe it wasn't but for you to summarily dismiss those moral goals just because we might be anonymous is the exact same kind of justification used by that one person that we all know who would lie through his teeth to a girl he didn't know if he thought there was a chance of getting her in bed.  Is it honorable? Is it truthful? Is he trustworthy?

If you believe in those principles then you should be striving for them in all your relationships whether they be with close family or anonymous people on the internet.  Otherwise you are just using them for your own advantage when it suits you.  We all make difficult choices between compromising our personal morals or doing something that might hurt one person while helping another.  What makes a man a man however is careful consideration of the consequences of his actions and the willingness to be open and forthright with all parties involved whenever possible.  Oaga in this case did not act like a "stand up man" but instead was the person taking a bite of the forbidden fruit when it was offered, doing it behind everyone's back and with full knowledge of the effects this would have on the very community that he purported to care about.
Kerath A'klawwn - Feral Lord <Stromm>

Leberger

Quote from: Atropine_BB
Well he also needed more winter clothes.  Namely a new jacket and new shoes.  He seem to outgrow his entire wardrobe almost yearly.  His mother and I could not afford to buy him these new clothes and an X-Box for Christmas.

I'm not trying to flame or start anything, just going to try to understand. If money is that tight, than why play EQ. Yea I know, you have to have some fun in life, but the way you make it sound, is you can barely to buy clothes for your child.

From what your saying family and friends are greater then games or the internet, which I totaly agree. But the way I figure EQ + internet is going to cost at least around $400 a year. $13 a month for EQ and $20 for ISP, and I won't even talk about if you have DSL or cable or buying the EQ game and all the expansions.

$400 buys a lot of clothes

Anyways back to the topic sorta  :wink:

Tonight that piece of crap web site proved to me just how low they will go.

FACT: This is what I posted word for word on there site tonight.

QuoteFor those wanting a link to visit fellow beastlords you can find it here.

http://www.eqbeastlord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8021

If you look at the URL this was a link to thier own site, to a post that had (that's right I said HAD)been there since Sept. 3, 2003. AND WAS STICKED. what was this post, real simple, Katina's Beastlord Guid.

Which with in a couple of hours, both my post and the one linked to was deleted. So yea they proved to me what scum Yantis is, and how a great web site turned into a sewer with a lot of crap floating on top.

So if you want to visit that piece of $@% site, go ahead and live in a F* cotton candy land and trust liers and scum that aren't even worth the air a friggen worm breaths.

Nothing will change on the site. YEA f*ing right
Move over skinny dog cause the fat dog's movin in.
Lebergerjr - 59 - Beastlord - KB

mik

QuoteSo if you want to visit that piece of $@% site, go ahead and live in a F* cotton candy land and trust liers and scum that aren't even worth the air a friggen worm breaths.

Like that statement comes from a non peice of crap floating on the top. So that whole old site if full of liars (yes thats how you spell it) and scum, when just last week they were your "good buddies" and "friends". What honor and loyalty that statement uncluded.

I agree with Atropine. If it comes down to my family or a message board that I alone own and pay for, bye bye message board. For Kerath to say that "honor, loyalty, and integrity" were sacrificed in the sale of the old site is just absurd. It's a gaming site. If you care so much about an EQ site and get all teary eyed when it's sold to someone that you don't like, but  doesnt go offline, I feel for ya man. You need to get out more and interact with "real" people. Oaga showed true "honor,loyalty, and respect" where it matters most, in RL and with his family. Not on the internet.
It's a "Jump to Conclusions Mat"! You see, you have this mat, with different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO!

Ghoat

Time to bust out a Rodney King quote....

Ghoat! The Relentless - Cazic Thule Server           Fat Troll

Atropine_BB

Hmmm lets see... for christmas.

New winter Jacket - $140.00

New waterproof boots - $99.00

3 new sweaters - $19.99 - 29.99 each

Plus stocking stuffers (candy, CD's etc.)  brings the total of what my boy really needed to over $300.00.  Most months we are getting by just fine with our mortgage payments on equity max, our car and insurance payments and regular costs of living.  

The fact of the matter is, after purchasing what he really needed for christmas there simply wasn't enough left over to buy him an X-Box.  However, I did manage to scrape together an extra $100.00 for a Gameboy Advance.  That is over $400.00 for Christmas... for my boy alone.  Not to mention my wifes Christmas gift.  $99.00 is doable, but $199.00 plus tax is a bit much.

Now, as for asking me how I can spend $12.00 a month on a video game?  It is how I choose to spend some of my free time.  Instead of getting drunk, going to football, basketball or baseball games, playing golf, or any other extra-curricular activity, I choose to play Everquest.  How can you assume to tell me that I can't afford to clothe my child because of Everquest.  I was simply pointing out that I didn't have enough money to buy my son exactly what he wanted for Christmas after we got him what he needed.

For people on a fairly tight budget, $5000 is a godsend.  Just think about all I could have done with that money.  I'm not poor, but I'm also not wealthy enough to buy every luxury that a lot of families have or take for granted.  I could have gotten my son the X-Box for Christmas.  I could actually afford to take my wife on the vacation we've been promising eachother for years.  I could afford to put a good chunk of money towards my mortgage on equity max.  

Everquest... I play Everquest because #1 I enjoy playing.  #2 - I can't afford to do other things I would like to do with my time.  For $12.00 a month I get innumerable hours of entertainment.  Believe me, I would much rather play golf on the weekends.  Or go see the 49'ers football games.  The reality of it is... I can't afford to do that right now.  So I have to take the poor mans entertainment with a budget of $12.00 a month.  I have to pay for an internet connection anyway for my son and my wife, so why can't I spend $12.00 a month on entertainment when I can't afford to spend $30.00-40.00 a week on golf or sporting events?
Elder Atropine Invictus

mac173

Quote from: Atropine_BBYes, for $5000, I would give up this anonymous gaming community that discusses a virtual game, in a moments notice... without hesitation.

There is nothing ananymous about it. I know you. Your Atropine_BB. I see your posts and read them, and get to know you. We disagree about this, and many other things. But we still "talk". And argue. And bicker. That sounds like what I do with friends everyday.

The game, the gaming environment, the message board......these things are virtual, unreal. The COMMUNITY is not. The COMMUNITY is a collective of opinions, thoughts, and shared interests. THAT is not virtual. That is real. Whether I speak to you in person, or through a message board does not invalidate the interaction, and all human relationships are based on interaction.

Your opinions on this make me think that your opinions, your thoughts, as expressed in these forums are not true. That you lie in your posts. If the COMMUNITY is unreal, virtual, are we speaking to Atropine_BB, or a virtual entity? Are you real?

Of course you are. Your enthusiatic responce to my post proves it. If this is nothing important, nothing of value, what are you doing here?

Quote from: Atropine_BBHave you ever met and hung out with in real life anyone from this website?

Fact is, a poster on the old site chipped in with some spare parts to upgrade my daughters computer, so she could run EQ, and play on her own account. We play together now ( 10 feet apart! ). Is it silly? Maybe. But i cherish the time we have together, even though its in a game.

The beauty of these message boards; in fact,  the entire "virtual" world on the internet, is that you can interact with people from all over the world. People with shared interests that you could not meet in the real world. I can't afford to go to conventions, or meetings, or any such things. To meet and talk to people that share my interest in EQ, I find them on the internet. The fact that I haven't met you in person dosen't make you any less a person.

WOW, i just read my post. I'm getting longwinded in my old age.

/lecture off

Atropine_BB

I see where you all are coming from.  

Principally, I agree with what some of you are saying.  All I'm trying to get across here, is that my loyalties lie with my family and friends first.  Yes, in a sense we do get to know eachother.  But, we get to know eachother as an online personality.  I try not to share my personal life in my posts like I did here.  I shared because I was trying to make a point about what family means to a man.  My family comes before any website or gaming community.  Period.

If I had the chance to make an extra $5000 for my family by selling a website owned and operated by myself, I would do it in an instant.  That $5000 isn't going to my greed... it is going to my family.

I think a lot of people posting here may not know how difficult it is for anyone to support a family.  I have a feeling that a lot of people posting here are being supported by their families.  Have some respect for those that support their family, and the choices they make in doing so.

So, yes... OAGA could have gone about it in a different way.  But he didn't, and I don't blame him for what he did.  He chose his family over you.  I would too.
Elder Atropine Invictus

Ghoat

QuoteHe chose his family over you. I would too.

That's just because you don't know me ;)

Ghoat! The Relentless - Cazic Thule Server           Fat Troll

Thrashum Gud

QuoteSo, yes... OAGA could have gone about it in a different way. But he didn't, and I don't blame him for what he did. He chose his family over you. I would too.

I do blame him for what he did.  EQbeastlords was split asunder because of the way he elected to handle this.  I bear OAGA no ill will for taking care of his family (if that is truly what happened) but the total and complete lack of respect shown to this community in the process is not acceptable.

If you truly believe otherwise then I have to wonder why you are here rather than there.

mac173

Atropine, I'll skip the quotes and just respond.

I agree that many on this board may not know the difficulties of supporting a family. Or the realitys of life.

I'm 46, married for 21 years, and have a 16 year old daughter.  My wife lost her job 5 month's ago, and can't work anymore. I got the first warning notice from the mortgage company last month.

If I owned this site, I'd sell it in a heartbeat to save my house.

I didn't mean to say that what OAGA did was wrong for him, I meant to say that what WE did in moving was also not wrong for us. OAGA knew it would fracture the community, thats why he kept the sale secret. It was a miscalculation, but an honest one.  

I'm not mad at OAGA, I'm disappointed that the community has been broken up. I blame Yantis, because I can't rant at fate, and I don't like what he, and others like him, have done to the game. Yes, it is just a game, but it is about the only form of entertainment I can afford anymore.

Atropine_BB

Thrashum, I'm here because this is where all the new most up to date information and posts regarding Beastlords as a class are going to be.  The Beastlord information that I'm going to need is here on this website now... not on the old eqbeastlord.com.  Hence I am here.

Yantis is scum who violates the EULA and has been instrumental in ruining the EQ economy.  I'm not defending him or his business.  All I'm doing here is defending OAGA's decision to sell the website.  This is primarily because had I been in a similar position, I would have done the same for my family.
Elder Atropine Invictus