Main Menu

Pulling using the pet....

Started by Zorthaz, January 12, 2004, 02:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scalewulf

I keep trying to convince people that "More mobs = better pull"...
...some are harder sells than others.  

:wink:

Felidae

Yup Scalewulf, I bet the dead people are the hardest to convince.

Trahma

The really good groups pull 2 to 3 mobs at once, the BL drops pet onto the inc swarm to catch the two that were prox agroed, and goes to work slowing (the good BL has 2 slows loaded to get everything slowed to some extent faster even with resists)

The CC shuts down the mobs on the pet and any that agro over onto the BL, while the tank and other DPS work their mojo on the first target.  Cleric keeps people breathing while the good BL has a finger ready to go on mend companion.

Voila, hard mission done in 50-60 minutes.

Normal mission is basically the same, but here the BL might as well pull, starting off with a slowed mob, grab the room full of mobs at once but otherwise follow the same basic tactic - or just charge into the room if you are particularly tank heavy.

Normal mission done in 20-30 minutes.

If you have no CC at all, dont do hard, but on normal just do the 2-3 pulls, no CC means you must have an extra person to play backup tank.

Oh - it helps to have the 200 odd AAs too.

Naturally, for every well played, dearly loved, carefully built toon you recruit for your group, there is an ebayed fool or PLed 'hollow' toon just waiting to suck up your points without giving back a fair contribution.  You will spot this when what should be a cake walk turns into 120 minutes of hell.  Luckilly, as a good BL, you can carry a party through a normal adventure as long as at least someone else is on the ball with healing.

And - WTF is up with pallies that not only wont heal ever during a mission, but dont even feel like stunning?  Hello - I didn't get you in the group just cause you wear plate - warriors wear plate way better than you, but there werent any on line, so use some of that mana I am pumping out every 15 minutes.

Pojodan

I've started to make a habit out of 'learning' groups that are scared of multi-pulls in LDoN that it's actually much more efficient/fun than the old pacify/FD/single pulling method.

LDoN is actually perfect for this since trying to do this in any other circumstance would likely yield me a spot on someone's SL just after the group breaks up.  In LDoN you're sort of forced to go along with what happens in order to avoid eatting a failure and getting no points and it's a fairly well known fact that even a crappy group can usually finish in 90 minutes (So long as it's not an assasinate or rescue, those require good groups to actually finish most of the time)

So, when Mr. Tank decides to take over pulling, or Mr. Monk is spending 5 minutes per pull, and either is griping about the number of MoBs clustered together I usually just jump in and start slowing...  Quite often someone will scream 'ZONE!', but I'll just keep slowing, parking at least one with my warder and seperating any others from the one Mr. Tank decieded to start whacking.  Most often some of the folks will see what's going on and starting rooting/mezing/snaring and the paniced ones will see that no one else is running and before you know it everything's dead.

Only once has this resulted in me being scolded and told to not do that again, the rest of the time the previous puller just sort of lets me continue without a word.

One of my favorite scenes was in Tak in one room where the room had two different routes to take.  Mr. Tank pulls from one direction so we fight it at the door and migrate into that room, then Mr. Tank pulls from the OTHER door, gets 4, and promptly dies.  'ZONE!' he screams as I'm slowing, druid's rooting, myself, Kitty, and ranger are tanking...  In not much more time than a normal pull for this group all four are dead without Mr. Tank there.....  Mr. Tank runs back, zones in, and picks up his stuff, going off on how we're gonna have to be extra careful in that room since we'll get a lot.  And even though everyone tells him we already killed everything in that room he still insists we all stand back and get ready to pacify/root/etc... I do wonder what the look on his face was when he saw the room was now empty.

Scalewulf

LOL - Felidae

I'm the puller, pull with slow, pet park, slow next, slow next, slow next...

...the only people that die, which doesn't happen often, are the people that are stupid enough to go after a mob that has yet to be slowed.  

I think I got it down pretty well, I have my choice of whom I want with me when I log on.   :wink:

You start to get believers the one time you get 5 or 6 and have them all slowed in the time a shammy would have 3 slowed before biting the dust.  Once they're all slowed, toss a paragon and go to work.  Can just about  be done with your eye's closed after that.

Chasom

Quote3. As far as I can tell, here is how it works:
-----Park pet out of attack/assist/aggro range.
-----Send pet in until it hits the mob in question.
-----As soon as possible after the pet's first hit, /pet hold the pet.
The key thing is to be FD while doing this.  Pets will aggro the mob but because the necro is "dead" the other mobs won't assist.

Banuk

Quote from: AneyaMy SK friend claims that it works for SK pets because the pet is green to the mob being pulled. The other mobs won't assist in killing green pets. We could test this by summoning a lower lvl pet but then our pet would be totaly useless for DPS and pet mezzing.

An SK here.

that's the ticket. Using a pet that is green is how you pull singles constantly/consistently. As an SK/necro it's not so big of a deal to lose pet DPS(esp as an SK =)). If the pet is green to the mobs, you'll get singles everytime. Depending on 'what' youre pulling, buff your pet appropriately or it will dead and pull the room anyway.

Make sure to /guard it behind the actual group so the mob aggros you/another party member and doesn't kill the pet from your/someones inaction with the mob. Recasting/buffing pets is the sux.

Felidae

I don't mind multi mob pulls at all.  But, as noted, many groups don't want to work that way, and I've had bad results trying to "enlighten" unwilling pick up groups on this.

Haggatha

'Ah, this is interesting. Its very similar to a trick I used to use ages ago, in the early days of the FV server (and later, on Kayne Bayle). This is when the Warrens were hunted a lot - long before the days of the Beastlords. Pit Fighters were a bit of a pain - level 14ish, and tough as a truck, for the levels. Particularly since everyone was untwinked. They were next to impossible to split as well, being set up in pairs. The only way to split them, was to grab a little kobold runt (way green at 12-15 or so). Get the little sucker to attacking you, then edge toward the pit fighter you wanted. Eventually the big old tough pit fighter would run to assist his little pal - leaving the other pit fighter behind. You could then pull him up to kill him at leisure, then polish off the little kobold runt. This is just a trip down nostalgia lane, and has no real relation to the conversation, except to show that green assist/aggro has been around a looooong time.

Also, its very similar to  what Fansy (the PvP bard) exploited in his famous rivervale slaughter/griefing on that PVP server. Venerable Haggatha Moles Troll Savage Lord FV')

Kinash

I am always pulling, have been doing so since my 50's. I don't know if it's the zones I am fighting in, but I can almost always single pull a mobs with it's friends standing right next to them. How? I find that if I cast any of the Ice spells will pull the mobs without agroing anything else. Once the mob is far enough from it's friends I will send in my Warder. The real trick is if the mob is a caster. Then I have to just keep hitting Back so the Warder doesn't agro the friends. Funny thing is the with the lvl 62 Warder I can send him in to attack and the surrounding mobs will usually not agro unless I get close! I sometimes just send him around the zone killing :)
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: KinashI am always pulling, have been doing so since my 50's. I don't know if it's the zones I am fighting in, but I can almost always single pull a mobs with it's friends standing right next to them. How? I find that if I cast any of the Ice spells will pull the mobs without agroing anything else. [\quote]

Really depends on the zone and the mob.

But to try and end the misinformation regarding which spell to cast for least aggro, all spells result in the same aggro results.  Ice nuke, poison DoT, cancel magic, slow, whatever.

Vaddin

I was in an LDON group with a Necromancer pulling the other day. I had always heard about the pet pulling techniquie, but I had never seen it used before this mission.

I don't have complete information about how to do this, but here is what I noticed and infer:
1. The necromancer was level 65 and had pet hold.
2. The necromancer was using a skeleton pet. I believe that this means it was a Luclin (spell level 59 or less) pet, as all the high end pets have the spectre graphic. I believe this also means that the pet does not have any type of fancy proc, it's just a melee type.
3. As far as I can tell, here is how it works:
-----Park pet out of attack/assist/aggro range.
-----Send pet in until it hits the mob in question.
-----As soon as possible after the pet's first hit, /pet hold the pet.

I'll expand on how this works for a necro. I do not have the pet AA's as a beastlord so I am not sure what level of BL pet this will work with. You will have to play around with the pets to figure that out.   :)

1. You need to have the pet hold AA.
2. You need suspend minon 2 AA.
3. Summon and buff pet, then suspend it.
4. Summon the level 39 necro pet. (from what I have seen ONLY the level 39 pet will work for this)
5. Have pet follow you or pet guard you. Do not have the pet guard here. The reason for this is the pet will walk back to the spot you have it guarding rather than run back to you.
6. Send pet to attack the mob.
7. Soon as it hits the mob hit pet hold and pet back off. The pet will run back to you with the mob following it.
8.  Soon as it gets back to you, cast suspend minon to recall suspended pet and hit pet get lost. The level 39 pet will suicide and your suspended pet will come out and attack the mob.

The pet will not agro any mobs in the area UNLESS the mob you are pulling has a pet of its own. If the mob has a pet, the pet attacking your pet WILL transfer agro to the other creatures in the area. The way around this is to have the pet pull all of the creatures in the area around the caster mob with the pet. Once all of those are dead, you can safely pull the mob that has a pet.

BTW, this is a great way to break and solo Drusilla in HS to complete the spirit wracked cords quest.

EDIT...Yes this might be an exploit...don't know for sure. I'm just explaining how it works :)
Vaddin
Fennin Ro

Kinash

QuoteBut to try and end the misinformation regarding which spell to cast for least aggro, all spells result in the same aggro results. Ice nuke, poison DoT, cancel magic, slow, whatever.

I am not entirely sure that is true. Unless the same exact spell can have a different aggro effect dependant on the level of the caster (which may be true). I know that the aggro effect of sells are not consistant. I will often take guildies off and try and train them to single pull Grimlings in GF's Platforms. Often it will take them an hour to find the right spell to not pull the whole zone to them. Whereas I can single pull each and every mob without ever aggroing anything else. I had a Ranger try out almost a dozen spells before he found the one sell that allowed a single pull... (he had to put away his damn bow as the bow aggroed every Grimling in sight!)
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: Kinash
QuoteBut to try and end the misinformation regarding which spell to cast for least aggro, all spells result in the same aggro results. Ice nuke, poison DoT, cancel magic, slow, whatever.

I am not entirely sure that is true.
I'll repeat myself once:  it is.

Quote from: Kinash
Unless the same exact spell can have a different aggro effect dependant on the level of the caster (which may be true).
This is also true.  Same with proximity aggro.  Level is a major factor.  Ever wonder why, as a newbie, every orc attacked you when you walked into their camp but when they are all quite green to you, you can brush their teeth and clip their nose hairs and they just stand there?  How PLers will have their 65 toon pull green mobs singly for their PLees?  A little observation goes a long way ...