Main Menu

Guide to Pet Pulling

Started by Sorien, February 10, 2006, 08:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorien

Didn't see this in the library, so wanted to put something down.  Here is what I have gathered from pet pulling. 

-The way it works with Melee NPC'S (What I have gathered over time as pet puller)...

1) You send in green pet to attack intended pull.
2) Intended pull aggro's on your green pet and says to his buddies. Greenie here, no need for help.
3) You back off pet & intended pull comes after pet.
4) Once intended pull gets close enough to you (You get in his melee range), the pull will always default to the pet's master -- YOu.
4.a) If the intended pull switches to you and he is outside of his buddies assist radius, the mob is pulled single.
4.b) If the intended pull switches to you and he is NOT outside of his buddies assist radius, the mob says -- 'Oh crap buddies!! Got a live one here!!!' & all of his friends aggro on you.
4.c) This works the same for when the MOB kills your pet. If the intended pull kills your pet (OMG, not the PET!) while he is outside of his buddies assist radius, the intended pull will come single.
4.d) If the intended pull kills your pet while he is inside of his buddies assist radius, the intended pull will bring his buddies.

The way it works with any Caster NPC... A little different here, because the caster has a wider range to default aggro to you, which is basically the maximum range of his spells. (Unless you are out of line of sight)

1) You target the intended pull.
2) You get out of line of sight of the intended pull
-or if you can't get out of line of sight-
2.a) You guard pet at camp site &
2.b) You move the group far far back from camp spot (this distance is greater than the intended pulls casting radius)
1) You send in green pet to attack intended pull.
2) Intended pull aggro's on your green pet and says to his buddies. Greenie here, no need for help.
3) You back off pet, tell pet to follow, & intended pull comes after or casts on pet.
4) Once intended pull sees or gets close enough to you (Within range of his spells), the pull will always default to the pet's master -- YOu.
4.a) If the intended pull switches to you and he is outside of his buddies assist radius, the mob is pulled single.
4.b) If the intended pull switches to you and he is NOT outside of his buddies assist radius, the mob says -- 'Oh crap buddies!! Got a live one here!!!' & all of his friends aggro on you.
4.c) This works the same for when the MOB kills your pet. If the intended pull kills your pet while he is outside of his buddies assist radius, the intended pull will come single.
4.d) If the intended pull kills your pet while he is inside of his buddies assist radius, the intended pull will bring his buddies.

Hope you understand that gibberish, but that is how pet pull is accomplished.

Other tricks & tips I have found that go good with pet pulling...

-Double Shrink yourself/have someone double shrink yourself down to enable your super see through wall vision while standing up against the wall ability.
-Get your single indoor SoW spell from L.Guk LDoN'S if you are going to do any dungeon pulling.
-Get your 64 Rune spell from N.Ro Tak LDoN'S.  It will allow the pet better survivability agains hard hitting mobs, as the Rune is not an 'Amount HP Rune', but a 'Amount Hits Rune'.  Basically, the Rune goes away after a certain number of hits, not after 100 HP worth of damage is dealt.  Like I said.  Good for the big hitters.

Let me know what you think or add some info if you like. :)

Essant

Good stuff.  Only thing I can add is basically if you are grouped with a cleric with BDA or a bard with DA song and Pet Affinity .. you can single pull just about any mob in the game as long as it doesnt have hard linked agro to something else.  The challenging part is really convincing your monk raid leader to let you try it =)

Only really do it in a pinch .. last time I had a 6 man group at Redwave and Shadowy Student was up .. and no real decent puller class.  Shadowy kinda complicates things with social agro in that area but I pretty much floored my entire group by teaming up with the cleric and yanking it right out of the room single.
Elder Essant Le'Fur
70 Vah Shir Beastlord of the Rathe
Brotherhood of the Spider
My Stuff!

Nusa

"Green pet" in this instance means green to the mobs being pulled.

Vah Shir sneak can be used to reduce your own aggro radius if pulling room is tight.

Mostly I leave the pet pulling red mobs in raids to necro or SK classes, since they get to try again if they screw up.....but I know how.

Sorien

Quote from: Nusa on February 10, 2006, 09:18:27 AM
Vah Shir sneak can be used to reduce your own aggro radius if pulling room is tight.

Hah!  I never thought of using that.  Me and a buddy spent a night trying to figure out how I could get the mob's in SolRo to split, since their aggro radius is bigger than my pet attack radius.  Awesome, thanks, and I will try that next time I am called to try and split them!

Tardar

You can pet pull while invised too

Sharrien

I remember using that trick to pull the named kobold for the Qeynos Badge of Honor all the way out of the caves past 30 or so adds.  Pet attack, then invis and as long as you avoided getting hit by him and unseen by see-invis mobs we got him single.

Will try invis and sneak next time I'm pet pulling.  Had a hard time with it in 69.4 last time I tried cause my poor green warder was getting stunned by the initial flurry of attacks and died at the feet of the target which aggroed the whole room.  Was having better luck with a mage pet since it could nuke from outside melee range.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre

Kanan

In most of DoD, the level 60 spell pet seems to be green to the mobs & sufficient.. and the few xtra hps has gotten it to me in the red before
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Essant

Quote from: Kanan on February 10, 2006, 03:15:20 PM
In most of DoD, the level 60 spell pet seems to be green to the mobs & sufficient.. and the few xtra hps has gotten it to me in the red before

60 pet con's 47 right?  62 con's 60 .. the rule is if the pet con is 20 levels below the mob's con level, *and* any mobs that might be in your targets potential frenzy radius, the pet is *green*.  So, if you want to yank out a level 80 raid mob surrounded by a couple other level 80 raid mobs, you can get away with the 62 pet actually.  If you want to yank out a level 80 raid mob surrounded by level 70 mobs, then you would have to step it down to the spell level 60 pet. etc.
Elder Essant Le'Fur
70 Vah Shir Beastlord of the Rathe
Brotherhood of the Spider
My Stuff!

Nekokirei

Nice guide Sorrien thanks!  Most of that I knew but only from scouring the boards and pestering folks with questions.   :-D

After 2 years of playing, I'm still a little lost on determining mob level ranges and picking the right warder to pull.  Too low, and warder goes *poof* in a brilliant display of fur/scales along with LOADING PLEASE WAIT..., too high and LOADING PLEASE WAIT...

On the one hand/paw, it's the wipe of a group, on the other, it's just me.  Wiping me out isn't a big deal, wiping a group--especially a pick-up--is never a good thing.

Anyone have some rules of thumb--for those without thumbs, any digit will do, or feel free to rip the thumb off a handy mob--for figuring out what'll work?
Predator Nekokirei
An Officer and
Feral Lady to
Prophets of War -- Stromm

FesterFleabaggs

Thanks! I really needed this.  :-D
Fester Fleabaggs - 65 Feral Lord
Corrine WinterSolstice - 63 Naturewalker (2 box)
Drozt De'soot - 55 Wizard
Gairith Mourneblade - 56 Paladin (Retired)
Stiy - 51 Monk (Corpsedragger)
Azrothe - 34 Necro
Haileey Commet - 53 Cleric (2 box)

Khauruk

QuoteAfter 2 years of playing, I'm still a little lost on determining mob level ranges and picking the right warder to pull.  Too low, and warder goes *poof*

www.allakhazam.com 's bestiary for your zone, combined with the pet tables on here.  Not always 100%, but often.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Nekokirei

Thanks Khauruk, but my issue is where is the, um, range if you will.  For instance, I know a lvl 38 toon and lower--and I presume the same for mobs--con green to me at 65, but what level range would con green to a lvl 55-61 mob?

I've played around with it a bit, and for the most part can guestimate--was just wondering if anyone had a better rule of thumb is all out. =)
Predator Nekokirei
An Officer and
Feral Lady to
Prophets of War -- Stromm

Khauruk

Okay - here's the formula that I think you'd use...

((0.66 x mob level) - 3) should be green, or at least w/in a level or so.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Sikem

Lately I have begun pulling with my lvl 62 pet and have not been getting adds.  Pet runs to targetted mob and hits it, grabbing aggro and then runs back to me with the one mob, even though other mobs are within aggro range of the target.  So, have they changed the way pets aggro?  Or, is it with higher content that I will need to use a green con pet?

I know I have used this method in Nurga and Dulak (Oceancrasher mobs are still dark blue to me).

Doomringer

I have a couple other useful tools to add to the first post, which is very good BTW. If you are in a group with other HP/AC buffs available, use them. Conviction will stick to a green pet and so will your 1.5 and 2.0 clicky Wunshi and B3. That is over 3K more hp than if you self buffed. The real challenge to pet pulling is keeping the little thing alive. More HP's equals more hits to live.

Another issue that will get your little friend waxed is pathing. Especially DODH. it seems all those zones are horrible for pathing. One way I have found to reduce this issue is to stay close to your pet during the pull and the haul back to the group. The warder runs closer to a straight path than if you sent him to the mob and took off running back to the group and then called the warder back from halfway across the zone. ALSO BY STAYING CLOSER TO YOUR WARDER HE WILL RUN A STRAIGHTER/QUICKER PATH BACK TO YOU WHILE THE MOB WILL GET HUNG UP ON ALL THE FLAWS IN THE ZONE PATHING thus creating some separation for you to set up some pre-slows or whatever. I know it sounds strange but it really works. Take the pepsi challenge and let me know what you think.

Sorry about the caps. They were not intended to highlight anything. My capslock went off and I didn't feel like retyping it : )
Doomringer Loneclaw
Feral Lord Vah Shir
Firiona Vie
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=925159