Main Menu

Guide to Pet Pulling

Started by Sorien, February 10, 2006, 08:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skanda

Quote from: Doomringer on March 31, 2006, 03:08:55 AM
The real challenge to pet pulling is keeping the little thing alive. More HP's equals more hits to live.

The Feral Guard (Pet rune) line can also go a long way in keeping your pet alive depending on atk speed of the mob.

Pakratz

the biggest things you can do to keep greeny alive  are 1) pet rune, and 2) speed enhancement (sow/shrew).  HP & rune dont mean much if mob keeps beating on the puppy all the way back to you.

Doomringer

I agree but I was adding to what was already in the original post : )
Doomringer Loneclaw
Feral Lord Vah Shir
Firiona Vie
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=925159

Tigrah

I've been asked to pet pull before when our normal puller was... out of comission, but I have had to tell them every time that I don't know how. Personally I won't be trying either till i get the suspend minion line to where it allows me to keep my pet wi buffs.
Savagespirit Tigrah Battlebeast of The Rathe.  85,

Whillowawhisp. Druid, currently 40

Archfiend Gravrrobrr Tombraidrr my crazed Drakkin SK

Tirienth Spiritcaster My unintentionally retired Shamy

Fear the mighty ball of yarn, for I shall chase it, and leave chaos in my wake.

Tardar

Realistically you need to have /pet hold too.  It's not impossible without it, but no fun either.

Griksh

Here is what i throw on my 54 warder:
SoW/Shrew
Lev (helps avoid some pathing issues)
Vicky
Focus
SV/brells
Feral Guard
Fetter of Spirits (small chance of him procing on initial attack so that the mob comes in snared allowing warder to run away cleanly is worth it)
Growl of the pather (extra 1500hp is second biggest HP buff he can get, plus the 150 hp regen is a help if he does take damage
Spirit of Oroshar (again a chance to proc on initial attack to provide an additional 1 hit rune is worth a chance, secondly he may already have prisim skin from the last fight)

Also to help pet pull:
Replenish Companion - I would also recommend getting replenish companion fully maxed out. Using AA's to heal warder won't transfer agro on to you, so if your warder gets into trouble, drop Replenish to give him some more time to get back to you. Fully hastened it takes 7 minutes to refresh but it is better than pulling with lots of adds cause your warder died.

Pet hold - a must have for control of the warder, no bst should attempt to pull without it.

Timing - The most successful pet pulls are all down to timing, being able to pull pet off after initial hit, but before the mob gets time to hit warder is difficult, but doable.

Inphared

This thread will become pretty pointless once TSS is released.

Lucky us!

Timberghost

Quote from: Sorien on February 10, 2006, 08:01:10 AM
Didn't see this in the library, so wanted to put something down.  Here is what I have gathered from pet pulling. 

-The way it works with Melee NPC'S (What I have gathered over time as pet puller)...

1) You send in green pet to attack intended pull.
2) Intended pull aggro's on your green pet and says to his buddies. Greenie here, no need for help.
3) You back off pet & intended pull comes after pet.

Sad to say that green pet pulling is now dead, finished and with a stake through it's heart.  SoE in their wisdom decided that when they Nerfed Fading Memories for the bards, they didn't want Pet Pulling to replace it on tough targets, so they whacked pet pulling even worse.  If you're not a monk or a bard (or an sk or necro) then SoE doesn't want you to be able to pull.  Period.

/mourn

beats me how they decided that something that has been in the game since Omens of War came out is now an exploit  :-P

It doesn't have a huge impact in raiding content, because there are always real pullers there.  What it does is whack the hell out of our ability to XP solo or in casual groups that don't have a real puller.  I hope all the pet classes get together and beat up on them to change it back, but don't hold your breath waiting.  We got whacked with a big ol nerf bat this time.

hokarz

seems to me that pet pulling with a green pet was since LDoN...took them long enough to fix it, regardless.
Savage Lord Hokarz

Khauruk

Quote from: Timberghost on September 21, 2006, 12:30:44 AM

It doesn't have a huge impact in raiding content....  We got whacked with a big ol nerf bat this time.
[/quote]

Wrong, and wrong.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Timberghost

Quote from: Khauruk on September 21, 2006, 12:36:19 PM

It doesn't have a huge impact in raiding content....  We got whacked with a big ol nerf bat this time.

Wrong, and wrong.
[/quote]

More details please.  No problem with you disagreeing just not sure why.

In most raiding content there are monks and bards who are just better and faster pullers.  Other than some exploits people do to cheat by making mobs warp onto them without their bodyguards, I can't see green pet pulling being nerfed having a huge impact on raids.  What am I missing here?

I'm not sure why you disagree that we got whacked with a big ol nerf bat.  I used to use green pet pulling to solo, but can't any more so soloing just became harder.  There are some casual group targets where green pulling was great for breaking up a camp for more conventional pulls if a real puller wasn't around in group.  Can't do that any more.

If you think beasties are pissed, you ought to look at the Mag and SK class boards.  Mag's have a heck of a time soloing now and SKs are asking what's the point of having a pet at all if it has puny DPS and can't be used to pull.

Quote from: hokarz on September 21, 2006, 05:14:26 AM
seems to me that pet pulling with a green pet was since LDoN...took them long enough to fix it, regardless.

I'm not sure why this was a fix, since it's been an accepted part of the game for years, with never a peep about it being an exploit until this last release.  No point arguing with SoE, they're not gonna change it, but it does kinda suck.

Inphared

The only impact I can see pet pulling having on raids would be something like Shyra. And even then, only a Necro or SK could really do it. I've never been asked to, or heard of, a Beastlord pet pulling on a raid.

Quote from: Timberghost on September 21, 2006, 06:04:36 PM
I'm not sure why you disagree that we got whacked with a big ol nerf bat.  I used to use green pet pulling to solo, but can't any more so soloing just became harder.  There are some casual group targets where green pulling was great for breaking up a camp for more conventional pulls if a real puller wasn't around in group.  Can't do that any more.

We didn't get whacked with a "big ol nerf bat." Pet pulling, as it was, actually sucked for us. The spells took too long to cast, and it was completely unreliable -- if the pet died, we were screwed. If it didn't, good for you, but more often than not (for me), it did. If you had to use pet pulling to solo stuff, I would suggest moving on to other solo targets. I could find plenty of solo places where I could pull everything single for valid XP. As for the casual setting, all that needs to happen is you get a puller. Plain and simple.

**EDIT**

Misread some posts, fixed it.

Timberghost

You do know that you're agreeing with me, right?

In raids, there's always a real puller there, just like I said so not impact in raids.  The only impact is solo and in casual groups without a real puller.

Yes, people can pet pull matriarch shyra, but why bother.  We use a monk and a bard and it's fast and easy.

Inphared

The only subject I'm agreeing with you on is that Pet Pulling didn't exist for raids.

We got whacked with a big ol nerf bat this time.

This, however, I am not agreeing with you on.

Quote from: Inphared on September 21, 2006, 06:16:42 PM
We didn't get whacked with a "big ol nerf bat."

There it is once, and here it is again: We didn't get whacked with a "big ol nerf bat."

Khauruk

Timber - Shyra was definitely the most commonly abused pet pulling mob, but there are others.  Was pet pulling something done constantly?  No, it wasn't.  But, being able to trivialize a progression encounter like that, and turn it into a farm raid for Time-level guilds has a huge impact.  And for Inphared saying only a necro/SK could do it, wrong.  The guild I was in always had a mage do that, and mage pulling trivialized much content.

It's not so much that pet pullling was fast/worthwhile for general raid content, but that it trivialized some encounters that would be **far** out of reach for many guilds.

I think if it wasn't for Mage's fire pets, this probably would have continued to be ignored.  But, the furor simply rose to a "fever pitch," and raised enough hell to make it worth the dev's time to fix along w/ tick pulling.

As far as soloing is concerned...well, if I need to pet pull, I won't bother soloing there /shrug...just my style.  Are some trophy kills/camps harder now?  Yeah...but, oh well.  As much as I liked the 'godmode' feeling of pet pullling, it needed to go.
TURNCOAT!!!!!