Main Menu

"********`s Warder ceases protecting ********

Started by Savigor, March 15, 2006, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savigor

hello all ive come to my first question, before i made my vahshir i dabbled with a Troll whom i got to level 43 before i decided i wasnt happy with the xp penalty and ..lol ....lack of pants.... anyways... while soloing in CoM i was getting low on health and all of a sudden my hp loss seemed to be reduced by quite alot. instantly upon killing the golem i got this message "Pantsless`s Warder ceases protecting Pantsless" can anyone tell me what happened there, and if our pet has a way of taking a % of the damage even if im in melee range with the MoB aswell can this be triggered with a command or is it just a random thing?

TenceiCei

Yes your warder has the ability to absorb portions of the damage you are taking if low HP.  Like the activated ability of Warriors called /shield, which lots of the current crop of warriors do not use.  Just remember your warder needs to be close to you for this ability to activate.  Your warder can't be behind the mob.  Nice feature having a "living Shield"  :-D

Savigor

Thanks for the quick reply.. is this shield ability an auto triggered feature of our pets ... or can it be manually triggered with a command aswell?

Shieara

I wish it could be manually triggered cause that would own.

It can sometimes happen and sometimes not.  Seems to work better if you are close to your pet is all I can tell you.   I haven't seen it in levels  :-(

Kanan

I SAW IT A COUPLA WEEKS AGO!!!!1!one!

actually, truly and honestly, that was the first time I had ever noticed it happen too ;p

Granted, it didn't save me as the boss mob proceeded to finish annihilating me ;p
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Tastian

Yeah, it's random and pretty restricted.  Improving the functionality and controllability of pet shielding is one of the easiest ways they could add some utility to pets at this point.  With how my channels were filtered I don't think I ever saw a pet shield message, but I have come across it a few times while parsing.  *shrugs*

Chickennuggets

How hard do you think the coding would be for an AA: 2 levels one for self and another for a target, over a set time point after activating it guarantees the warder will shield you, or your target when activated (Advanced pet shielding?) if within a range of 100 or so... maybe make it last a minute?  They could of course add the duration increasing AAs after and the re-use decreasing.  Just an idea.
Chickennugets  http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1226640
Lvl 70 Beastlord
Steel and Honor
Saryn server

Tastian

One thing I've learned over the years is to never guess how the code in EQ works lol.  Some of the simplest changes imo have been some of the hardest.  The game is old, code and coders have changed a lot, it's just hard to say. 

However, I don't think another pet AA is the answer.  I don't see any reason why the functionality that already exists can't simply be expanded a bit to make all pets more useful.  I'd like to be able to choose a target by doing something like /shield chicken and then if chicken falls below a certain hp mark the pet just starts shielding them.  It could help cover the beastlord while slowing, maybe the enc when mez'n, even a cleric a bit.   It's not a huge effect, but it would atleast be something and it'd be noticeable too.  Even if it just stayed like the warrior version that is activateable it'd be better than it is now.  *shrugs*

Chickennuggets

I agree with you Tast, but I've noticed that they don't typically like to look back on old skills, and abilties and make benificial changes that often at no cost to us.  Instead of giving us DA they gave us AAs... yadda yadda yadda.  Maybe they could look at it and change it, but we will have to buy the next expansion.  Litle synical this morning, sorry.
Chickennugets  http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1226640
Lvl 70 Beastlord
Steel and Honor
Saryn server