Main Menu

Swapping between sessions using alt-tab

Started by Araden, March 30, 2006, 06:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Araden

I used to only be able to handle 2 sessions of EQ on my computer (1gig ram was all) and so I did not bother with any extra programs such as winEQ.  I just used alt-tab to switch between sessions.  I've now upgraded my computers video card and memory and I ran some tests and can now 4 box on the same computer.

Unfortunately alt-tab still only switches between 2 sessions even if I have 4 running.  Anyone know if there is a workaround to this, or am I going to have to use winEQ?

Chickennuggets

The way it used to work was that alt tab would switch back and forth between two instances... but if you held alt while tabbing you could cycle through as many as you had.   Not sure if it still works this way or not though to be honest, worth a try though.
Chickennugets  http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1226640
Lvl 70 Beastlord
Steel and Honor
Saryn server

Kanan

I've always cycled through the half-dozen things I have up on my screen on all my computers via alt tab.  The one time I made my computer curse me and all my line by loading up a 3rd instance of EQ, i was able to get from screen #1 to screen #3 by hitting alt-tag twice.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Hinthi

If you run 4 sessions on one computer I would really seriously consider using WinEQ.  Set up the keys so you can Alt + 1 for your first session and so on.  Otherwise if things go bad and you Alt + tab the wrong number of times you have the potential to really  mess yourself up.
Luclin
Cantus Fidelis
Vanquisher Jearom
Wildblood Hinthi
Prelate Claimon
Grand Arcanist Xerksen

Araden

Chickennuggets

I onyl went as many as three.  Beast, healer and nuker... but I got used to how many tab hits to get to each one I needed pretty quick, four could get confusing quickly though.  Plus I think my computer would actually laugh outloud at me if I ever tried loading a fourth.
Chickennugets  http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1226640
Lvl 70 Beastlord
Steel and Honor
Saryn server

Gazzuk

When boxing more than 3 toons (sometimes 6 or so) I use a Nostromo to easily switch between instances and perform certain functions, such as healing, or turning attack off, etc. Might want to look into that once you get your alt+tab fixed, and get WinEQ2.0 pro, you won't regret it

Sensh

K probably a noob question but where do you get Wineq from?  Anyone able to link the site.  Thanks.

kharthai

Quote from: Sensh on May 11, 2006, 04:28:25 PM
K probably a noob question but where do you get Wineq from?  Anyone able to link the site.  Thanks.

http://www.lavishsoft.com/wineq2/

Araden

Just an update.  Alt-tab will switch me between two instances.  alt-tab-tab will get me to the one it's not cycling back and forth with when I run 3.  Have not messed around with 4 with it.

I did purchase wineq 2.0 pro.  Have not screwed around with it though yet due to how busy I am IRL atm.  At the moment I suspect that I won't really start to screw with screen displays with it until I get a bigger than my current 17" monitor.

I bought a Nostromo N52 speedpad, have not hooked it up yet though.  Finals in 2 weeks and I'm going on vacation (a NO EQ vacation too hehe) after that for a couple weeks, and then I'll be returning off vacation to 2 summer courses I'm taking, so odds are I wont' screw around with things much for the next month at minimum.

Thanks for replies, I'm looking forward to checking out how well I can get the speedpad working for me.