Main Menu

WTF is the matter with people

Started by Atropine_BB, January 13, 2004, 11:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atropine_BB

So I'm hunting 4 arms in ME with my wife's cleric for shits and giggles.  I'd like to pick up an AX belt and maybe some gems of the void.  Anyway, she pacified the mobs and I pulled with slow.  It is slow going, but nice to get away from overcrowded zones, and nice to spend some alone time with my wife in EQ.

Well, we're there for a little over an hour when some ranger comes into the zone and starts /ooc Looking to loot a rotting AX belt!  After a few of those with no response from anyone in the zone, he starts /ooc CAMP CHECK!

Okay... Camp check... I /ooc 4 Arms at Akheva Zone.  About 10 seconds later I get a tell from the ranger saying something like, hey dude can I loot an AX belt if one drops.

I respond by saying, I'm here looking for one too, but if one drops after I get mine, you can come loot it.

No response...

Okay cool, I go back to killing 4 arms.

10 mins later, a train of coteri and skeletons rampage through our camp.  Luckily my wife and I were able to get to the zone before we got decimated by the sheer amount of mobs that were there...  I didn't even see anyone pull that train.

Okay we zone back in to ME, and go back to killing 4 arms.  Trained again without warning, this time we both die.  Okay we're both bound in PoK, so we make the run back to ME after my and I grab a KEI.  We get back to find the ranger at our camp spot with a group of his friends.  We loot our bodies and ask for our camp spot back.

They reply that they got here and nobody was there, so the camp was theirs.  We tell them that we were trained, and our corpses were obviously there, and we just rezzed and looted them.  Basically they told us to beat it because they wouldn't share.  It was a lvl 48 ranger two lvl 65 and two red anynomous group members.  

Anyway, we had about given up because it was starting to get late and we didn't want to fight with these people.  I can't prove it was them who trained us because I didn't actually see anyone when the train hit.  But it just seems kinda suspicious to me that all of a sudden, my wife and I are trained twice.  We survive the first train, then die on the second.  Then, when we get back the camp, it is taken by the same lvl 48 ranger looking for an AX belt with a few high level friends.

What the hell is the matter with people in this game?
Elder Atropine Invictus
Beastlord Bard Ranger || Cleric Druid

Jaeren

Welcome to EQ, land of people that love to cause grief.. land of the idiots.. land of the terminally stupid.. and occasionally I hear the land of sane, nice people. Too bad that last type seems tobe a rare spawn :P

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Zorthar

There are too many jackasses and idiots in this game, but dont let it get you down, there are plenty of nice people too.

TheOriginalGronker

What is the matter with people in the game?  They are people in RL and know they have anonymity.

Btw, whoever pulls first gets dibs if you want to compete against them.  They can try to KS you but if you want to elevate this sort of thing to a /petition then get ready with logs and tasty SS's.  Since you were there for gems and a belt, you could have just focussed on the Xi that wander near there for gems too.  And with them camped at the AR zone, don't forget its all fine to zone any 'bad pulls' there ... let them know as you run by of course.  :wink:

Aneya

Anonymity is not fool proof in EQ. You can still do a /guildstatus on someone in zone that is anonymous to find out if they are a member of a guild or not.

You can also do /who to find out who is in zone at the time of the trains then do a screen capture or log dump to collect information for a later petition.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: AneyaAnonymity is not fool proof in EQ. You can still do a /guildstatus on someone in zone that is anonymous to find out if they are a member of a guild or not.

You can also do /who to find out who is in zone at the time of the trains then do a screen capture or log dump to collect information for a later petition.

What I meant by anonymity is that you don't know that Sosando is really John Smith living at 222 Tudor Terrace in Kalamazoo, TX, USA and thus when he trains you to steal your camp, you go over there and punch him in the nose.

Time and time again, guilds will stick up for their members not matter how butt-headish their members behave, much like some mothers will stand up for their serial-killer children, to the point of being disturbing.

mac173

Assholes will be assholes, in RL as well as in game. This kind of thing happens all the time, and mostly us "nice guys" tend to assume the best in people. Mostly, they let us down.
The /ooc's between you and the ranger pretty much prove he trained you, and at the very least would prove to a GM that he knew you were camped there, and had to know you would be back for your corpse.  

Sounds like a /petition to me.

Aneya

I bring up the Anonimous bit because it provides you with some information. I was refering to the original poster mentioning that the 2 65s where playing /anon. If the 65s are unguilded it has certain implications. If they are part of a reputable guild you may be able to complain to an officer. If they are part of a guild of ill repute, enougth petitions can get the guild disbanded etc.

There are some shady guild out there that have been warned that if they ever train another player, raid or what ever, they are history.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Aggy

I have had similar problems with camps in the past...and a few led to rather heated arguments....after which I usually realize taht I was getting all would up over some arsehole and a GAME.

Nowadays I jsut put them on ignore and walk away - it isn't worth getting all riled up over, even if it IS irritating.

Sutan

I had someone in BoT decide his group should have the named we were fighting.  His group stood back far enough not to aggro while he trained about 8-12 mobs on us.  Somehow, while I was running for the zone, I ran right into the middle of his group and died, along with his whole group.   :P

GurBur

Well that does suck.  I was wondering as I was reading the story if it would be beneficial to have a forum where stories such as this could be posted.  Thinking here is that if the name of the player, server, and situtation of what happened was posted people would be able to watch out for these individuals in game.  This would allow others to avoid them and might lead to some accountabilty for ones self.  I know you said you couldn't be for sure it was him, but I would hazard to say it was probably him.  Malicious intent shouldn't go un-noticed.  If there was record of people performing such acts in game maybe they would think twice before doing such things.

Just a thought.  Maybe not even worth worrying about though. :?

ShaitynAB

My old guild over on Nameless once had a Hall of Shame section where people could post stories of bad experiences they have had with other players/guilds.  We removed it within a week when some other's began making "grief posts" about other players just in an attempt to smear their name.  

Unfortunately in our society sometimes being accused of doing something wrong is tatamount to actually having done it whether you are proven innocent later or not.  It just seemed to be more of a hassle than it was worth and there was a lot of potential to cause a lot more damage than it could possibly prevent/repair.
Shaityn Stormweaver
65 Ogre Feral Lord
The Insane-Antonius Bayle
My Magelo
The Beastlords Den-Home of Everquest Beastlords

GurBur

After thinking about it a little more it would probably be a nightmare to deal with.  I'm guessing the rants serve the purpose and allow you to vent.  After all it is just a game right. :)

Sorry didn't mean to highjack your rant Atropine. :oops:

Knaw

Well, for The Tribunal, we have a sticky post in the flame section of the message board named 'pieces of monky shit", where notorious trainers, scammers and other assorted POMS are listed. Since you usually get flamed yourself by some people who live on the flameboard it prevents most postings like 'XY stole my orc pawns' and usually only leaves the 'deserving' scum. :)
Knaw, the peachy Feral Lady.
Legendary Companions
The Tribunal

Fozzik

Quote from: AneyaIf the 65s are unguilded it has certain implications.

I'm level 65 with ~60aa and I'm unguilded. What exactly does that imply?
Not everyone who is high level and unguilded is a bad player or person. I hear this a lot, and it kind of bothers me. If I choose to be unguilded, please don't hold it agaist me on the face of it without getting to know me in some fashion. If you chose not to group with me or associate with me just due to the fact that there is no guild title after my name, that's your loss...  :(
And to add to the insult, there are guilded players who are absolute idiots and the worst types of people. Not all, but some. I really hope you aren't selecting who you associate with solely on their guild status... you'll still run into plenty of very bad players that way.

fozz
Fozzik - Feral Lord, Sol Ro