Main Menu

Need 3 box advice...

Started by Baruuk_FV, June 13, 2006, 03:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruuk_FV

Hello folks.  I've been a big fan of the site and actually an EQ player for 6 years.  I did a lot of 3 boxing several years ago with an SK, SHM, CLR combo and did fine - but this was prior to the last 4 expansions.  Now that I've returned to EQ, I'm looking to form a new 3 box team, as I have found it to be a rewarding experience.  I am looking at hopefully doing DoN missions, monster missions,  with the ability to do named and an occasional boss from time to time.  With that goal in mind, I started an SK as my tank, as I enjoy the class its benefits (FD, good agro management, plate class, etc.).  I know the key elements in most 3 box teams is tank, healer and slower.  Having said this, the question comes down to the last two classes - leaving me with the folloiwng options:

SK, SHM, CLR (again) - Works fine but somewhat low DPS from what I've seen.  Easy to box shaman and cleric.  Cleric class is seriously the most boring one I've ever played - but excellent healing options and backup healing with shaman.

SK, BST, CLR - Better DPS I'm guessing than the above option - or am I wrong?  The only issue is boxing 2 melees, which I can handle IF it is enough DPS to justify the trouble.  My real question with this combo is, can a Beastlord at lvl 60+ handle slowing the big mobs?  I'm sure BST does fine in missions, normal exp grinds, etc but I'm wondering how much trouble slowing I'd have in boss situations.  I also like this combo because I love Beastlords! :)  I had a 54 beastlord some time ago and he was a lot of fun.  Also allows me to play 2 characters as "mains" per say instead of 2 as support characters (ie - shaman and cleric would be support toons). 

SK, BST, DRU - Is this even wise?  Druid is far more fun to me than cleric, no doubt.  However, with my goals, I have serious concerns about a druid main healer - no HoTs, and no rez.  Teleport and utlity are the advantage. 

BST, NEC, DRU (or CLR) - I hesitate mentioning it, as I'd really like to stay with my SK as tank, since I like the class so much and know SKs are good tanks for RSS, MPG, big bosses, etc.  I know some higher level beastlords many AAs have accomplished similar feats, but I'm not certain my play style will afford me the investment to make a BST the main tank.  However, the idea of this combo does sound fun - because it's different.  Not too hard to box probably, but just unsure as to the limit of what is doable - since no plate tank.

If you wouldn't mind giving me your opinions, I'd be appreciative.  My SK is currently 18 and my BST is currently 25.  I havent started my 3rd character yet.

By the way, at what level can you start DoN missions?  I was hoping to start some Monster Missions at least soon with my 3 box team - just not sure where to find them.

Thank you.

Baruuk
Firiona Vie

Hinthi

You could consider going SK, CLR, ENC.  Then you would just need to add dps to your group if you wanted.  Everything else would be covered.

In my book if you are going to go with 3+ toons CLR is a good route to go for your healer because it gives you the best heals and rez.
Luclin
Cantus Fidelis
Vanquisher Jearom
Wildblood Hinthi
Prelate Claimon
Grand Arcanist Xerksen

Chasom

I regularly 2-box a SK and shammy.  Recently, I've been duoing PRS and Girplan Shardtender camp in RSS for the AC augs.  I would go with either SK/SHM/CLR or SK/SHM/DRU.  Druid would bring more utility and DPS to the table than the cleric, but cleric can rez and buff a bit more.

Baruuk_FV

Good points guys.  Thanks.  I like the idea of SK, SHM, DRU as well - never considered that.  That would give me more healing and I wouldn't have to play cleric, which I simply don't find very fun.  Druid porting would make the 3 box experience easier and the other druid benefits would be nice.  I guess eventually if I decided to go CLR, I could probably use the Druid account to get one up to speed pretty quickly.  Any other opinions are welcome.

Taiglin

My three box is the last combo you mention - to include choice of druid or cleric. That said the cleric and necro at this point are lvl 62 and I have to box a toon behind a KVM. In that regard the cleric is easier as healing is so much more mana efficient + I am not overly wont to try to use that mana for DPS as I am with the Druid

I grew up as a Bst/Dru combo so will say that a Bst tank isn't overly bad as a tank and I have taken out my share of named mobs, different sorts of content, etc. Throw in more DPS from another toon and all the better. My rule of thumb really was if the Dru heals couldn't keep me on my feet I probably was in the wrong area anyway in terms of xp gained over time unless I was trying to camp a specific mob/thing. I guess a caveat to that statement is back when the level limit was 65 a casual Bst (as I am) really would have a hard time breaking ~6k hp buffed so your baseline Druid heals proportionally could keep up. This has slacked off a bit (though would improve if my Dru had more AAs) with higher HP gear and levels but is probably more pronounced if you have a Dru try to MH a plate tank. I would also say a Bst's ability to tank (or anyone's really) depends in part on several environmental variables like how long the fight lasts, how hard the mobs hit for, etc. There is an equally progressed, mix of gear (baz, DoD, PoR, quest, etc), AA, etc ranger in my guild who has ~same buffed hp as I; he has ~400 more AC which has been just enough for him to get over the hump of a mob that I wasn't quite able to tank (same cleric, same group).

Anyway, not sure I really said anything in all of that. Took several breaks writing it as I am at work so not sure it will even read coherently lol.

When the progression server goes live I was thinking of doing a SK/Shm/Dru. Will see how it goes but given the state of gear availible it wont be straight comparison.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Bulge

Do not forget that Shammies get a very nice HoT once they reach level 65.Together with Druid healing you should be fine on the healing department. I myself am doubting between a Paladin or Sk as Main, with a Druid as second and Shammy/Enc/BL as third box. The SK sounds like more fun because of his pet, FD and dots/taps, but the Pally does bring some nice buffs to the table since I will not be having a cleric. I do not like to  get my buffs in PoK so what my group can bring themselves is what I take to the field.

The SK sounds like a bit more DPS, and he can both pet and FD pull if need be, whereas the pally only has the rather unreliable and level limited Paci to his disposal. The pally on the other hand seems to be the better choice when you need to peel an add of your Druid or 3rd box, with Stun or a quick heal. Anyway, you can't go wrong with a SK/Sha/Dru trio, imo.
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.