Main Menu

Warder and Agnar

Started by Lorudce, January 14, 2004, 02:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorudce

While doing Agnar last night I noticed something strange wtih my warder.  When the giants which add would pop, I would /pet hold and go to the giant accross the room.  My warder would faithfully follow me no matter what.  Then, with the new mob targeted I would hit /pet attack.  Several times my warder would end up attacking Agnar again.  I targeted the warder and did assist and he was on Agnar.  No matter what I did, I couldn't get him to attack the right mob.  Pet hold worked in that he stopped attacking everytime, but he wouldn't attack the right mob.   I couldn't watch my warder and fight the adds so my warder ended up sitting out those fights.

Any ideas on this?  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a bug?

Nonposter

I noticed a similar problem right after I got pet hold. What I figured out was pet hold does not wipe the pet's hate list like pet back off does, so your pet keeps the same mob "targeted".

What I did to fix it was to make a hotkey with pet hold, followed by a pause, and then added a pet back off command. No problems with pet running off to the wrong mob after I started doing it that way.
- nonposter

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: LorudceWhile doing Agnar last night I noticed something strange wtih my warder.  When the giants which add would pop, I would /pet hold and go to the giant accross the room.  My warder would faithfully follow me no matter what.  Then, with the new mob targeted I would hit /pet attack.  Several times my warder would end up attacking Agnar again.  I targeted the warder and did assist and he was on Agnar.  No matter what I did, I couldn't get him to attack the right mob.  Pet hold worked in that he stopped attacking everytime, but he wouldn't attack the right mob.   I couldn't watch my warder and fight the adds so my warder ended up sitting out those fights.

Any ideas on this?  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a bug?

You might want to find a detailed discussion about what /pet hold actually does and compare that to what /pet back off does - they have much different functionality (there used to be one on the old board but I'm not gonna touch that one ...).

Basically, /pet hold stops the pet from acting on his/her/its hate list (i.e. attacking the mob on top of it), and /pet back off clears its hate list.  Add to this that pets are just like mobs wrt their hate lists and you'll see why your pet went after Agnarr.

Lorudce

AHA!  I knew someone could point it out.

Thanks I missed that one, or didn't pay a lot of attention since pet hold is new to me.

/em searches for his hotkeys

Soriab

/pet hold
/pet back off

Holding will stop the pet

Back Off will cler the hate list.

Remember that your pet will attack anything thats hit you when you tell him to attack after doing that. So if you get hit by Agnar's AE then hit it one more time when your OOR of it to wipe that from the hate also.

Perelandra Eldil

Another way to help this situation is to change your Pet attack button. Make a macro that does /pet back off, /pet attack. This button will effectively switch your pet's target.
Perelandra Eldil - Arch Convoker
Gelil - Prophet
Druzzil Ro

bugman

here's a cut and paste reprint of something i wrote on my guild's message board for other beastlords. yes its long and yes im a nerd for thinking about things far too much.

to help with pet managment in raid situations ill post my pet command hotkeys i use. im not saying they're right or best. a friend used to make me go to CT occasionally and pets there break mez, over and over, so i had to learn how to get pet not to break mez and not to agro on things it shouldnt. it helps for raids because the way my hotkeys are set up my pets hate list is wiped so nothing funny happens after the first mob of several is killed. it also helps alot in repositioning pets, which should be done, as your job babysitting pet is never finished once you /pet attack.

i have a standard attack hotkey so wont go into it.

my back off hotkey is /pet hold, to get my pet immediately disengaged from whatever its doing. and then /pet back off, to wipe its hate list. one problem i noticed in places like ct where pet break mez is if you just hit pet hold, and then /pet attack, sometimes if your pet still has high agro towards a different mob, and even mezzed, it will start for the target you indicated and then change and go for the old target it still hates. its also good for places like VT where you'll have several mobs and one will be aoeing that will be getting on your pets hate list and making it do stupid things. that hotkey looks like this:

/pet hold
(used to have a small pause here but dont think it matters)
/pet back off

i also have a follow hotkey that has the same theory.

/pet hold
/pet back off
/pet follow

the most important hotkey i have and use often to the annoyance of others is my assist hotkey.

/assist soandso
/pause 10
/pet back off
/pause 10
/pet attack

firstly i change the first pause according to how much lag there is etc (in ideal conditions i sometimes do away with that first pause completely) as the assist command can sometimes be lag delayed. i also will change the second pause depending on how much repositioning im anticipating. on some raids like VT and in ldon hwere im repositioning often ill put a longer pause so my pet has more time to come to me (assuming im on the right side of push which i always should be) and then reattack from the new and proper position. sow or shrew is very helpfull for this.

this is helpfull in alot of situations as you can reposition pet and make sure it goes on proper target if you're offtanking or slowing (you'll have to retarget but you should be smarter then your pet). this hotkey setup with backoff command integrated into it will also wipe a pets hate list so its not only on the proper target, but not wanting to chomp on other targets once the first is down. again in VT is the biggest case of this being needed as you'll have many mobs in camp, one aoeing, and after each aoe if i dont reassist my pet to wipe its hate list it'll be on the aoe mob after the initial target is dead. and of course pets are dumb so if you start attacking the next target and tell it to simply attack it it wont and will stay on the aoe target.

again i learned this in CT (where pets will break mez) with the lizards that aoe slow. mid fight a lizard add would aoe slow, my pet wouldnt respond, all adds would get mezed, first target would be killed and my pet would run to the aoe mob and break mez. now in most situations this isnt a problem as pets rarely break mez, but in alot of situations there is offtanking and its just as annoying and potentially dangerous to have your pet acting on its own hate list and charging after mobs it shouldnt be.
~Bugman - Venril Sathir