Main Menu

TSS Dots

Started by Discordant, September 21, 2006, 03:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discordant

These were in the process of review when beta ended and the game launched.  I would like against to draw attention to their drawbacks, as stated by Tastian in the beta forum:

1) Cast time - the cast time of these spells are one of the major reasons they are lacking in DPS.  They need to be adjusted to the cast time of our nukes.

2) Resists - Diregriffon's is very resisted from what I've seen in TSS.  It is a waste of mana in its current state if the resists are not fixed.

3) DPS - this was adjusted quite a bit before the expansion went live, but did not do enough to dispell the cast time/resists problem.

Any other comments?

hakaaba

I agree.  I'd place dot fixes second in priority spells-wise to fero fixes.

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Tastian

-  Spell slots:  To use dots that "situationally" perform better we give up having spells that perform better the majority of the time.  We don't always have warning before a "favorable" dot situation would show up, so those momments get lost as we'd be better off using other spells that perform better more often and give up that small gain in efficency at those times where dots would have been better.

-  Hidden costs:  All the things that make dots worse in real use than on paper for us.  To me this includes loss of melee dps from casting time, loss of dps due to crit dot AAs not being nearly as good or functional for beastlords as nuke crit AAs, focus effect itemization, and even fight durations in many cases.

I really do fear that old school dots of this type are just done for us.  The changes, although simple, would be major.  A resist mod, much better mana efficency, etc. would be required to actually mem them a reasonable amount of time.  The dots would just look broken on paper much like old knight 1h used to when people didn't understand the situation.  Especially with other changes we've gotten though the dots just need more and more to keep up and a simple +damage, -mana won't do it.  *shrugs*

Kanan

I played with diregriffon a lil bit last night and was very unimpressed.  I do totally lack any poison foci, det effect extension, and only have 1 level into crit affliction (I was despairing of what else to buy at that point).

This said, I think it would take an efficiency that the devs would be unwilling to give us due to the margin it would need to be over/in comparison to the king dotting classes.  This will probably be the last time I ever really mem that dot, since cold foci are far simpler to obtain and are on frankly better items for bsts.  The use of dots is so incredibly minimal.  Only use the disease dots have had for long old time has been when killing rooted mobs, since it won't break root.  That's about it.  And I would use that in about 1 situation that we do about once/week, so upgrading them at all = total waste of time.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Pakratz

In typical cookie-cutter thinking, I understand why they would give us upgraded dots.  However, if they really listened to ppl who actually play, they would realize that these new spells will not be memmed at all by the vast majority of players.  Might as well give us a blank parchment to take up a spot in our spell book.

With a big resist mod, they might be worth looking at in some situations.  As it is, it's just a disappointment that this "counts" as something given to us when we could have had something useful.

What we could have had instead....
A ranger buddy linked a new spell he got that cures disease, poison and CURSE in 1 spell.  I think it's appropriate for rangers to have such a thing, but it's just as appropriate for us.  We've been asking for curse cure for a long time.

Nusa

The dot did make me more useful in a kiting group, but its absolutely a situational tool. I also got my throwing up about 40 points in that session.

mogtoth1

only time i ever mem our dots is somewher where the mobs have huge cold resist like downstairs in RSS. these dots from TSS are a waste of space and had to have been included by someone who does not play a BL. As it stands we have no offensive spells worth having until we get our new warder, with the minor exception of new sv for a small amount of extra ATK.
Tails high and walk away with pride

Mogtoth Venomclaw
75 Beastlord
Clan nan Dreolan - Prexus

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1087128

Kanan

it's got add'l attack? ;p jk, I know it does.. I only cared abt the hp upgrade ;p

Vidyne

Tried a 69.1 hard....      dirgriffon resisted 70% or more of the time.
Chimera Blood resisted about 40% of the time.
30-45% resist on all other dots.

Tastian

Getting massive resists on both dots wherever I go.  I am trying to collect a wide array of parses in different zones, but atm my overall resist rate across PoP, TSS, and some PoR is over 50%.  8( 

If some other people want to simply type "/log on" and then zip up their logs and send them to me I'd gladly try to work their data into mine.  The claims seem crazy, but they are thus far true and to have the data to support it would be nice.

Kanan

I'll get you something soon.  guess time to clean out the other log file again anyways ;p

Discordant

I'm not sure if a hotfix went in last night, but Diregriffon's hasn't been resisted ONCE, in two hours of exping in Frostcrypt and the disease dot has only been resisted twice.

Rhoam

Well mine is still resisted about 70% of the time on light blue mobs even. Its just not worth buying the spells atm , in fast i didnt buy the 72 disease dot.  If they dont change this I think we should be refunded the price of these spells. They cost a ton and I cant see trying to use this with the number of resists, its just a huge waste of mana.

hokarz

loaded up Diregriffon and chimera blood and tried dot'ing the spiders in 69.1... 15 casts 12 resists. Loaded up  malaria and plague and it was the exact opposite. Disease dots stuck over 90% of the time. The resist was a rare event using disease. Maybe we are suppose to use our dots situationally?
Savage Lord Hokarz

Khauruk

Aren't all spiders in EQ now supposed to be highly poison resistant?  I seem to recall reading that somewhere w/ the mob hp/damage revamp from a few months ago.
TURNCOAT!!!!!