Main Menu

Steeltrap Jaws

Started by Timberghost, September 25, 2006, 06:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberghost

OK I'm missing something.....

Why would we use a pet proc for slows, other than to get way more slow casts?

I can just picture having someone ask me if a mob was slowed and having to say "I dunno ask the tiger"  :-D

I certainly see the value in having more shots at a hard to slow mob, but I just can't see ever using this to replace Sha's Legacy.  Where at least I know for sure right away on success or failure.

Steeltrap Jaws 70% slow,  -60 vs magic, 24 disease counters and lasts 1 minute.
vs
Sha's Legacy 65% slow, -30 vs magic, 24 disease counters and lasts 1 1/2 minutes.
Sha's Revenge 65% slow, no resist mod, 16 disease counters and lasts 3 1/2 minutes

Sha's Legacy and Sha's Revenge are on different recast timers so I can load both and within a couple of casts one or the other has hit and I get a success message.

Why exactly would we want to use a minimally better pet proc where we can't say when the mob is slowed? :?

I mean if that's gonna be our very best slow at level 75, errrr thanks, I guess.

What am I missing?

Constaq

i messed with it today.. You can set up a audio trigger for pet slow  "Is bitten by steeltrap jaws" It procs lots. 

Nullef

It disapears from the pet's buff window when it lands.
It has its uses and is a fine addition to the line of utility spells we get...works great when solo'n or in grp...no reason to use on raids.
But the one thing that upsets me about it, is that it overwrites and blocks fetter of spirits...I spent alot of aa to max that and now if i use this new proc i cant use fetter and fetter is a snare, not a slow, so why is it being blocked? They need to fix that or refund us the aa's
Nullef Fier of Stromm
75th Season of Fleas
1600+ aa

Skanda

At first I though I'd never use it but after messing with it a bit it's started to grow on me. Something like this allows us to slow two target at the same time if you're the group slower. It's also good in groups where you'd rather not pull agro form the main tank since you're not the one getting slow agro. I haven't been able to try it yet against highly reisitant mobs like the Lightning callers in MPG/Anguish but since it starts out at twice the resist mod as our best slow it's probably an easier way to go to get them slowed if you don't happen to have a debuffer around.

And as was mentioned above just set up an Audio trigger so you can tell when it landed. The real problem I have with the spell right now is you can't tell when it faded. If they could fix it so that we could see that then I would be quite happy with it.

QuoteI spent alot of aa to max that and now if i use this new proc i cant use fetter and fetter is a snare, not a slow, so why is it being blocked?

It doesn't stack because they don't want to give our pets unbalancing utility. This way we have to chose if we'd rather snare or slow mobs via the pet. This is also what a ton of us asked for in beta as originally it wasn't stacking with the damage proc line of pet spells. While I'm fairly sure that was a bug we were pretty much unanimous about how we'd rather it not stack with Fetter vs Oroshar type buffs. I'm not too suprised personally that they don't want it to stack. This gives us three different lines of procs we can put on the pet, or damage line, epic line and a third utility line. I wouldn't be suprised if in the future you see even more utility pet procs that won't stack with either Fetter or Steeltrap.

jitathab

Single target group xp fights last under a minute. You get 4 casts for less mana with a greater modifier.
On multi-mob pulls you can now slow 2 simultanesously, warder offtank slow or MT assist slow while you run around slowing the others.
Heck if your a slow junkie you can load 3 slows and slow 3 mobs in 6 seconds.

On raids it *might* be useful against non-ramping mobs to pull with warder, to proc slow. Hope you got a good MT though. The warder will die against a lot of mobs but might be useful situations.

Sharrien

Would like to try this on Council of Nine when I get the spell.  Yesterday we could not get a slow or debuff to land on the Avatar at all.  Tried shammy, chanter, beast and necro, nothing.  Got our asses kicked.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre

Rarrum

-60 is only rank 1 also... rank 2 is -80 and rank 3 is -100.

I got it last night finally.. and I really like it.  My favorite part:
I slow a mob as it's inc with Sha's Legacy.
3 seconds later chanter overrides my slow.
3 seconds later my pet overrides their slow.
Muaha... revenge at last!

-----

My only problem with it, is it seems like it sometimes fades without actually proccing.  Sometimes it'll go off like 4 times from a single cast.. sometimes 0 (0 as in I don't see the "Rarrum's Warder begins to cast a spell <Steeltrap Jaws Strke>").  I'm guessing there may be a bug where, since 2 procs can't go off on the same attack, if this happens to "proc" at the same time as epic or something, then we just lose this one.  I need to go back through logs to get some chunks with concrete examples of this though.

iamweaver

QuoteSteeltrap Jaws 70% slow, ... Sha's Legacy 65% slow...Why exactly would we want to use a minimally better pet proc...
One point.  MOB DPS after Sha's Legacy/Revenge is 35% (mitigated).  MOB DPS after Steeltrap Jaws is 30% (mitigated).  It depends on the amount of mitigation; still I think that nearly 20% less DPS from a MOB is better than minimal, especially given its resist mods as listed in Lucy. There are MOBs out there that I can cast slow at all day and never get it to land :).  It's a situational tool, and a good one, IMO.
Wildblood Lupic Wulfsib:  Member of Memento Reejeryn, The Seventh Hammer (Lanys T'Vyl)
Sugar Daddy: Berrew, Archon of Brell Serilis

Constaq

Sharrien   Cant land a slow on avitar untill at least 94% or lower but usaly buy 90%   I dont know if it works or just seems to work beter but Roar of Thunder then Slow at around 94% alwasy lands a slow. Then to be reslowed buy a shammy and they get all smug.. bleh

sarjent

I've got mixed feelings about this spell.  I'd prefer the damn thing just stayed on the warder for 10 min.  Not being able to see when its faded is a pita too.  Mainly, i'd forget to recast it when it procs so ...

iamweaver

As someone already mentioned here, Audio Triggers for the win.  I use them to ding when slow lands (anyone's slow), blat when slow fades, buzz when Invis starts to wear out, etc.  There is a lot of information to parse, especially when you are old and decrepit like me  :-D, and audible reminders of vital events just makes things much simpler.
Wildblood Lupic Wulfsib:  Member of Memento Reejeryn, The Seventh Hammer (Lanys T'Vyl)
Sugar Daddy: Berrew, Archon of Brell Serilis

Tastian

Audio triggers can actually help out a lot.  A trigger can be set to notify you when slow lands.  However, another possible option is to set the audio trigger for when steeltrap lands to a 1 minute long silence followed by sound.  This way the audio trigger is actually going to notify when it fades, and not when it lands.  Or perhaps even an audio file with a sound, 1 minute silence, then another sound.  *shrugs* 

recoil silverclaws

as far as ive seen it dosent fade once it lands because ive been able to slow a few diffrent mobs at once with one single cast of steeltrap.

cast steeltrap with 2 mobs on inc with /pet focus on, sic pet on one mob watch for the emot then sic pet on mob #2 asap before it fades most that time you can get both slowed with one cast if you watch for the procs. 4 procs ...4 chances to slow one mob or more then one if you move the pet around.
-Elder Recoil Rahl-
    -- of ctv --
a prexus guild
         and
-Hissar Spits-
   --of twinky alts-r-us--

hakaaba

can someone with an audio program make us a sound, 1 minute, sound file? :p

Preferably 2 different sounds.

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Fightclubx

Quote from: Rarrum on September 25, 2006, 03:52:56 PM
-60 is only rank 1 also... rank 2 is -80 and rank 3 is -100.

I got it last night finally.. and I really like it.  My favorite part:
I slow a mob as it's inc with Sha's Legacy.
3 seconds later chanter overrides my slow.
3 seconds later my pet overrides their slow.
Muaha... revenge at last![
/b]

-----

My only problem with it, is it seems like it sometimes fades without actually proccing.  Sometimes it'll go off like 4 times from a single cast.. sometimes 0 (0 as in I don't see the "Rarrum's Warder begins to cast a spell <Steeltrap Jaws Strke>").  I'm guessing there may be a bug where, since 2 procs can't go off on the same attack, if this happens to "proc" at the same time as epic or something, then we just lose this one.  I need to go back through logs to get some chunks with concrete examples of this though.

ROFL ! so true ><