Main Menu

Huh?! (Aka, what just happened to the forums)

Started by Jaeren, October 03, 2006, 01:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaeren

I'm trying out a few new themes in prep for the new layouts for the website and forums. Right now the default theme for the forums is set to what may be my first choice for the new layouts, the lighter colored one. The current plan is to offer at least 2 choices for both the website and the forums, one light and one dark since I remember well the discussions about some people being annoyed with having a bright cheerful page :p

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Boister

Boister, 75 Beastlord, Nameless
Boister

Epee

Sanois

Telocsilver

I like the colours and the layout is clean.  The only complaint I have is the side bar with my info / search / stats creates a lot of empty space as you get further down in the thread.  On the browser window I use, aporximatley 1/4 of the page is empty, with the discussion looking crammed inside the other 3/4.

Rawrzor

I like this new look a lot, but I would have to say that links in threads do not stand out very well from the normal black text.  Since the links are also not underlined, it makes it very hard to pick them out (at least on my laptop monitor... ymmv).
Rawrzor
72 Beastlord, Bristlebane Server
Co-Leader of Meiyo

Magelo | EQPlayers.com | Blog

Jaeren

Yeah, this is still the very basic design. Going to change the graphic at the top to something beastlord-ish. Will change the links that are fairly hard to see and the design will be integrated with the website very closely so the stuff along the left side will be changed and have links to epic information, leveling, etc.

Also, the bar along the left and be collapsed to read a wider thread with the arrow on the top left side, which extends the viewable area.

WoW - Medivh (Retired):

hakaaba

Whoa, it looks...the same?

Maybe i'm just cool and had it set to the skin you chose already :p

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Jaeren

No you have your accoutn set use the Apollo theme which is the old one. Change your profile settings under Look and Layout Preferences to sue the forum default :)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):

Kivuli

It burns us! Not a bad change, but I still prefer the Helios look.

hakaaba

the search bar on the left is very bad.  it makes everything require horizontal scrolling :(

Nusa

I hated it until I realized I could turn off the left bar entirely by clicking the downarrow at the top. Now it's back to what I expect to see. Of course, if I didn't actually have http://forums.beastlords.org/index.php?action=unread as my browser bookmark (I open threads in tabs, rather than serially), I'd be whining about having to open the bar to do that.

Jaeren

Most of the old styles are still there, I did take out a few due to them being really out of date and giving me a crapload of errors.

As far as the search bar, unless you are using a really low resolution, the page will resize and still should show everything except for signatures like yours which are quite large pictures.

WoW - Medivh (Retired):

hakaaba

seems like with the apollo skin everyone gets a non-existant image below their title.  Mine's http://forums.beastlords.org/Themes/apollo/images/btn-aanimist.gif (which is not actually an image) for example.