Main Menu

Agro issue - Spiked Sleet

Started by mogtoth1, October 16, 2006, 08:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fightclubx

no hate is transfered to you from pet, but any PC takes hate over a pet when he gets into aggro range, the hate still stays on the pet. they changed this long time ago cus pets were consistantly out aggroing everyone and dying. mages were happy about that.

if there's more then 1 person in aggro range and pet has the most aggro out of all of them, the mob hits the "closest" person doesnt matter if a person standing a few inches further away has more aggro,

it never happens to me with my guild tanks cus they rock, but in pickup groups sometimes its fun to see pet get the most aggro and mobs will spin on whoever is closest (rogues and such) and start trying to own them till the tank can out aggro my pet

:mrgreen:

Kanan

Quote from: Rawrzor on October 18, 2006, 03:14:02 PM
QuotePets do not transfer all their agro to the owners.  I'm betting it is a single point of agro that is transferred upon the death of a pet

For the most part, I agree with what you're saying.  However, how do you explain the fact that if fluffy is beating on something and you approach the mob, the mob turns and starts hitting you (the common way to save your pet from dying)?  To me this would imply that your pet has given you some position on the mob's hate list.

That is a hard coded part of EQ that, given a choice between beating on a pet or a PC that are in its immediate melee range, it will always go after the PC, period.  Other part of that is to make sure that you can't just sit there, afk on a spawn point, and have your buffed to the gills pet do all your tanking for you.  It can still do the dpsing for you, but you do still have to put up with the risk of you dying from being beaten upon.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Nusa

No, that's just part of the coded rules that NPC's shall always hit PC's that are within melee range before pets of any kind. Notice that applys even if someone else with zero aggro approaches your pet's mob (assuming the mob is KOS to them). So it doesn't matter how much aggro a pet has if you're in range. However, the pet's aggro is illustrated when you back out of melee and the mob does not follow.

neight

Quote from: dainfrol on October 17, 2006, 06:12:31 PM
If you are in Melee range of the mob, your pet's agro generated will be transfered to you.

If this were true, we'd have been banned from using pets on raids long ago.
Neight Wulfe <Requiem>
75 Barbarian Beastlord
The Tribunal

Tigrah

what the heck is everone's problem with getting agro? I love agro heh.
Savagespirit Tigrah Battlebeast of The Rathe.  85,

Whillowawhisp. Druid, currently 40

Archfiend Gravrrobrr Tombraidrr my crazed Drakkin SK

Tirienth Spiritcaster My unintentionally retired Shamy

Fear the mighty ball of yarn, for I shall chase it, and leave chaos in my wake.

Kanan

turning the mob on enrage onto the raid

dying and having to get rebuffed again bcs that 5k hitter just got more pissed at you than the tank

There are lotsa reasons to want to control your agro.  I have agro issues a lot, especially in xp groups where I don't usually give the tank a lot of time to build up agro, unlike a raid.  There are times I don't mind it so much, especially when clearing trash & such, but when we're beating on a boss for a decent amount of time and he then turns on me... yeah, I get annoyed ;p  Predictability is important eg if I turn on attack at this point, do this set of BE followed by 2 nukes, after 1 min, I should be approx at this point in the death agro chain. 

Urim

Quotewhat the heck is everone's problem with getting agro? I love agro heh

Most of us talking about how we dislike agro are a bit further along in progression than you and raid mobs that hit quite hard. Having agro on mobs that can hit upwards of 15k per swing ... NOT GOOD!

And much like what Kanan posted, when raid is going great and you just happen to pull agro as the mob enrages ... your not going to have many melees happy with you.
Maelin Starpyre
[80 Arch Animist] Urim the Library Guardian (Iksar) <Crimson Tempest>

'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity'

Jkal_Shihar

Pretty much what Kanan and Urim already said.

I hate aggro, think its from my days as a ranger having flashbacks LOL. But, I have noticed I am generating more aggro as of late now. I barely nuke, mostly conserve mana for BE pet.

I was even grouped with our guilds top tank. Before TSS, I had to fight to get aggro. Now I just step in and mob doesnt know who to hate more. *shrug*
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Kanan

Now, I do believe a significant portion of this agro generation is due to our increased DA rate from the skill, but I do think that it is streaky/spikier than normal.

We have a new learning curve again on our agro, due to the increase DA skill gives us (think back to getting IBF in DoD.  My curve was fairly significant)

Tastian

"Pet procs have a hate mod added to them and since the agro can't go to the pet when there are PC's in agro range, where does that hate mod go to?"

Hate goes to the warder, the way aggro works in EQ isn't a flat "who's #1, hit them" system.  As some have mentioned there is special code so that no matter how much aggro a pet has built up, it won't take with a PC in range, regardless of the PCs aggro.  In the case of extra hate on warder procs the hate is still added to the warder, but that doesn't actually matter in a lot of cases.

The issue of pet aggro transfer was always easy to test with a second party.  Just find a mob, send pet, have it hold aggro, have other person do generate some aggro as well(nuke it, dot it...), and then when the pet dies the mob will go for the other person, not for you.  If even 10% of our warders aggro were getting added to us at this point we'd know right away because lots of beastlords would be going splat almost instantly.  The amount of aggro our warders generate is pretty insane.  *shrugs*

Khauruk

Quote from: Kanan on October 19, 2006, 03:18:38 PM
turning the mob on enrage onto the raid

I love doing this/people who do this.  Nothing's more fun than watching the insanity :)
TURNCOAT!!!!!

laissez

we have a warrior in our guild who likes to aoe taunt on enrage, to bad for her i put up a 2hb and go defensive on enrage.
Elder   Laissez Fairez
75 Beastlord Luclin Server

Nusa

People who deliberately grab aggro from the tank should be allowed to keep it. It tends to cure the problem.

Timberghost

lol these peeps learn fast.  We had one genius who wouldn't let the puller bring mobs all the way into camp.  He'd charge out and end up moving everyone out of position.  Finally the raid leader said to just let him tank it along <splat>.  End of problem.

Pretty much same with peeps who really want agro.  See what happens to them with mobs that FD the tanks.  Tank gets FDed, they are top of the hate list and <Splat>.  Again, end of problem.

Taiglin

It is hard coded that a mob will turn to PCs vs pets in all situations assuming there is a toon in melee range.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]