Main Menu

Aura of Spirit vs. Paragon of Spirit

Started by hakaaba, November 06, 2006, 11:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hakaaba

The progression servers being at the point they are now offers an interesting opportunity to directly compare real data on luclin and current hp/mana pools against the numbers for paragon and aura of spirit.

Since EQplayers provides limited data, for the purposes of this comparison, i'm defining the "median" max level player as the player of max level (60 or 75) closest to the 55th place in the top 100.  This should be roughly representative of the stats of an average max level since most of the max levels are listed in the top 100, with a slight weight to compensate for those who arent and the fact that hp values arent uniformly distributed (theyre more concentrated at the low end).

For the median comparision i selected wizards for mana and warriors for hp and to use data from Xegony (which i randomly selected from the set of 21 standard servers) compared to the Combine (which has cleared VT and therefore has more representative max luclin numbers).

From EQplayers:

The Combine (limited to luclin):
Max overall hp: 5,773 (Chriton, warrior)
Max overall mana: 4,175 (Mehr, cleric) tied with (Vinto, shaman)
Median warrior hp: 3,409 (Inego)
Median wizard mana: 3,050 (Temporal)

Current:

Serverwide:
Max overall hp: 20,029 (Goodurden, warrior)
Max overall mana:15,952 (Nandari, wizard)

Xegany:
Median warrior hp: 14,309 (Dreach)
Median wizard mana: 10,316 (Durja)

*note that these are intended to be representative for those of the MAX LEVEL only and all are unbuffed.

Aura rank 3 hp: 400
Aura rank 3 mana: 140

*its irrelavent whether you look at per-tick, total gains, or total gains over time since the duration and recast have remained static.
These values are per-tick.

Conclusions:

(all percentages are percent of the previous value.  e.g. 100 -> 300 = 300%)

Median hp and mana pools increased to 419.7% and 338.2% of their previous values
Max hp and mana pools increased to 346.9% and 382.1% respectively

These gains can be directly compared to the gains in the paragon line: 200% and 175% respectively.

On the average, hp pools have increased well over twice as fast (210%) as upgrades to the paragon line, while the highest end has seen increases of just shy of double (198%) the rate of paragon upgrades.

Similar results can be seen in the mana values, where the median player has over 1.5 times (169%) relative to the paragon upgrades and high end mana pools have increased more than double as fast (218%).

Clearly, the paragon line's upgrades have not kept pace with the increasing size of health and mana pools.  The *most generous* comparison indicates that paragon is lagging by a factor of 170%.

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

jitathab

You didnt factor in the relative diminishing return on AA invested :) i.e. each increase is costing more and giving less.

hakaaba

Well, that is the case for almost all AA abilities.  Luclin defensive was 5 times as powerful as pop defensive which was 5 times more powerful than omens defensive, all for the same price or more.  Rolling thunder is exactly half the gain per aa as plain roar.

In any case, i think the primary argument should be to make the line more powerful.  Because i doubt very many of us would be satisfied if they just halved the aa cost of perfection and aura, leaving the pitiful gains were currently getting.

Buzak

aye would have to agree here.. the cost of AAs is more or less irrelevant.
this is a very nice chance to look at how its value decimatet through the years from actualy being a usable AE heal to only a more or less ignorable mana boost.
would love to see this get uptodate

Buzak Ubertroll & fluffy ubergater

hakaaba

Could it be any clearer?

What can i say? i was bored :p

recoil silverclaws

/cheer for hakaaba

very nice chart and info on this hopefuly they will see this and maybe do something to ajust it to be more useful.
-Elder Recoil Rahl-
    -- of ctv --
a prexus guild
         and
-Hissar Spits-
   --of twinky alts-r-us--

Vidyne

Aura rank 3 hp: 400
Aura rank 3 mana: 140

This would make you happy then?  :)
Aura rank 3 hp: 900~
Aura rank 3 mana: 300~

And at most we might.....might get this...
Aura rank 3 hp: 550
Aura rank 3 mana: 185

Someone posted elsewhere, I cant remember that compared to clarity and regen lines, that para was being upgraded correctly, its just HP and mana have boomed so much over the years.

And I think if you are talking about percents...  if you say to, its 400%, but if you say by, its 300%

3500hp then 14000hp
Thats a 300% increase
It's 400% of the original, or it increased to 400%, but its a 300% increase.
100% of 3500 is 3500
100% increase from 3500 is 7000
erm shrug maybe its a play on words.

hakaaba

I did that comparison, too.  And even compared to strictly the clarity line, aura needed to be upgraded a little.  But that comparison doesn't even take into account that overall regen has scaled alot faster than the clarity line, too.

Pakratz

Great job putting together the numbers Hak.  Think we all agree Paragon has declined over the years.  Before the OOC regen, I'd say this was a big issue for us, but now...not so much really.  I wouldnt even make it top 10.  Mana regen in group situations is really diluted now, often I don't bother asking for oak and/or c7 anymore!  On raids, even a fat boost to paragon would make a small impact on small number of raids.  I used to primarily use Paragon to hasten wipe downtime.  Now thats completely mute.

The point im making is I dont see paragon having the potential for being much of a utility.  We crave utility and I think our efforts would be better spent pushing something that would have a significant impact in raids and/or grouping, rather than bolster a rather useless ability.  There's been suggestions made, I'd like to see us pick one and all get behind it, making it our #1 priority and push push push.

Shamno

I wouldn't say AoS is worthless, just not what it could be or what paragon or perfection use to be.

It still has some power and viability. *shrug*

Those who also say mana regen is worthless since OOC as well now and days are so far short I have no idea how you can assume such. The whole theories of part of groups just sitting out and unloading when they FM and switching around are bull. Any form of mana regen still has quite a bit of power in it.

Less need for downtime is still greater then what happens during downtime. Those with higher mana regens will always push farther in content then those with little to no mana regen.

Kanan

Latest runs on Daosheen are still running over 20 mins from engage to kill.

With all the extra healing required on this, there is 0 opportunity for OOC regen.  This is an example of a situation where the para line would be great.  It don't help that, while skilled, our gap b/w our top 2 or 3 clerics and most of the other is tremendous in mana pool & equipment. So para seems to actually have some impact upon them.

Esp on raids, while the OOC regen can be nice, its still of main usage after wipe recovery, when everyone is going to be sitting around for 5 mins anyways, going to restroom, fixing a snack/drink etc.  In groups, it can be effective for someone to effectively sit out a mob or two to med back up to full, but it can't work on raids ("oops, I'm oom. AFK from the healing rotation for 6 mins"... yeah, right).  So there is some need for all mana regen still, especially on fights that last more than 4 or 5 mins (I believe that's where wizards have pinned down their limit of effective sustained dps.)
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

iamweaver

PoS/AoS is a form of mana regen. Every other Mana Regen ability in EQ has gone up proportionally by the same amount.  Chanter crack, Direwild,SE, Bard song. Even  Necro MW/MF has increased because SoE widened its scope by allowing it on all mobs, though its power remains the same. It sure looks to me as if the Mana Regen/Mana pool decrease is deliberate across the board.  In fact, I am surprised that our PoS AA line has increased as much as it has :).  If you went back to your graph and add in other classes data - you would get this:

As long as Paragon is a group ability, I think we will be tied to the Mana Regen curve, so we would have to suggest something different
Wildblood Lupic Wulfsib:  Member of Memento Reejeryn, The Seventh Hammer (Lanys T'Vyl)
Sugar Daddy: Berrew, Archon of Brell Serilis

Denti

That graph is misleading by a lot, you take a one per fifteen minute ability against a constant regen. You have to compare it on even footing and recalculate PoS regen to regen over 15 minutes. If you do you will notice that your PoS graph will start out at 0.4 and grow to to 0.933. If you want to compare it with mgbable buffs you have to take it at once per 72 minutes which is even worse (0.11 to 0.194).

Fact is that PoS is not a manaregen buff, it is more a mana (and health) HoT and probably should be more compared with the total amount of HoT available at its release and now.

hakaaba

I made that comparison already in another thread, but you're ignoring alot of facts such as theres alot of new sources of mana regen that werent there in luclin.  Not to mention, scaling of a burst mana ability is arguably unrelated to scaling of constant mana regen abilities.

iamweaver

Denti, I was referring to the slope of the line alone, not its height.  Notice my comments were directed to changes in value, not values themselves.  Whether you adjust PoS to be mana/tick or not, the slope remains the same.  What's worse, your math is horrid. 140 mana/tick * 7 ticks with spell extension AAs = 6.1 MR (and in fact, giving us quadruple AoS makes us the 2nd-best Mana-regen class in the game besides Necros, with no detrimental side effects). Your other argument is invalid. All HoTs have scaled the same since luclin as well, with the exception of cleric HoTs, which have increased a bit faster, and our HoT has a MoT componant where devs historically told us that mana regen is "a concern".

Hakaaba, I have two questions: I can only think of 2 new sources of mana regen: "Mobile KEI" potions, and OOC regen; what other ones have I forgotten? Also, what is your argument that burst mana is different from constant mana regen? Certainly, burst mana regen is potentially more powerful, but surely that makes it less likely to be improved, not more?  If you just use it in tactically poor situations, the worst you can do (assuming you don't deliberately cast it when you are FM :)) is give you mana at an average rate of 6.1 mana/tick between casts, so the least that the devs will compare our regen to is that standard, which is MR+6.  Its current level of usefulness is, IMO, basically stackable group Maelin's Methodical Mind, with minor tactical utility for healing/mana-boosting your group.

Quadrupling its effectiveness in all respects suddenly makes it considerably more powerful (and of shorter duration) than cleric AA HoTs (1600*7 vs 550*12), so that is unlikely to happen on the HP side, as well.

Unless AoS becomes more limited (to make it different from, but NOT greater than, normal party mana regen), or comes with some kind of detrimental side-effect on the caster, I think that we are stuck with it as it is :(.
Wildblood Lupic Wulfsib:  Member of Memento Reejeryn, The Seventh Hammer (Lanys T'Vyl)
Sugar Daddy: Berrew, Archon of Brell Serilis