Main Menu

Reworking our pets

Started by Braedan_VZ, August 13, 2007, 01:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braedan_VZ

Everyone hates change and everyone else hates doing the necessary work to make the changes lol but here's a an idea that might have been thrown out there before.

Considering mages don't want our pet tanking and god knows we don't our pets tanking either I always thought that from the inception of the dod pets that it was the way our pets should have been worked all along.

Who else thinks that our pets would be better being replaced w/ the dod version w/ vastly upgraded dps to deal w/ the loss of our always there pets.  Lets be honest we all have a love/hate relationship with them at best as it is.

I feel sk pets should be along the same route but thats a whole other thread on a whole other forum. ;)

Khauruk

Quote from: Braedan_VZ on August 13, 2007, 01:59:17 AM
Considering mages don't want our pet tanking and god knows we don't our pets tanking either
It's not that mages don't want our pet tanking, they just don't want them tanking better than their air/earth pet.  Many beastlords also do use their pet to tank or offtank at all levels of the game.  Fewer at higher levels, but I've seen several people lacking defensives/dps that use their pets to tank at high levels while they work up some AAs.  At lower levels, I used my pet for several lengthy stretches where it simply took hits better than I could.  I also will still use it for offtanking some when I solo now...esp. w/ pet mend AAs and doom timer heals.

I always thought that from the inception of the dod pets that it was the way our pets should have been worked all along.

Who else thinks that our pets would be better being replaced w/ the dod version w/ vastly upgraded dps to deal w/ the loss of our always there pets.  Some problems that I foresee cropping up from this:
*  Loss of pet stuns (I find them very useful against affected mobs, and I don't see soe giving us autosummoned/buffed pets w/ that ability).
*  Mana use - however they make them, I can't see them taking an 'appropriate' (in our eyes) amount of mana to summon...esp. for long chain pulling groups or endurance raid fights.
*  Buffs - they won't receive the nice pet affinity buffs (not that it's a huge difference, but it's nice)
*  Many AAs are made obsolete by this change, if implemented
*  Sony wants pet classes to need to work to make their pets live/be optimal for the situation.  They don't want the entire thing to be 'fire and forget.'

And those are just the first few.

Lets be honest we all have a love/hate relationship with them at best as it is.
My pet has never really bothered me, frankly.  But, maybe I'm an aberration /shrug

I feel sk pets should be along the same route but thats a whole other thread on a whole other forum. ;)

So yeah...you can put me in the other column.  I love the BE/BaTM pet concept, and would love to see that be continued...perhaps have a few tricks up it's sleeve eventually even.  But, we'd lose out on a lot of what makes us who 'we are' imo.

TURNCOAT!!!!!

Shieara

I personally would not like to go this route with our pets.  Neither does my Fluffy!

Daigyon

I don't want my constant companion turned into a temporary companion.   Something needs to be done yes, but not that.

There is no knowledge that is not power.
Daigyon
75 Beastlord of Blades of Wrath
Fennin Ro.

dainfrol

the first thing I do when I log in is summon "Fang."   The only time I ever hated my pet was durring the early months of TSS when push seamed to be insane in those zones.  I ended up balancing his push with mine and the Monk's, so that was no longer a problem, and now it's even less of a problem.

If we were to change our pets to BE/BatM style, that would make the AMV event even more difficult.  I don't know if everyone does the "pet group" thing, but on the Focus of Vanril (sp?) we put a full group of real pet classes on it and had our pets trying to stun the orb so it doesn't summon adds.  I'm sure some of you can come up with other events that the stun component of pets is a major boon, but I'm just in Anguish, so I don't know too much more than that.

I still have not gotten even my BE pet, and I've only just completed my 4th mission for Combine so I don't know about BatM pet either.
WildbloodXikahtizuDragonblood - 75 - Beastlord - Luclin (Veeshan)

kindarring2

Problem with BE is that you do not have full control over them. Shoot how many times have I casted it at wrong time gotten 4 to spawn and we have to pull dps back and they are still on them or mob starts running(hatchet) and my Be pet is running after him lol. Only makes RL mad.

I would like to see us be able to control these pets more but if not I would still use them, I love the DPS.

Too be honest I do not think much needs to be changed with our pets, mine seams to do well with the upgrades/aa's/spells we get. I would like to see more pet focus items drop tho lol. (did refang 100 times, guild got 3 belts). No arms yet to drop in AG raids hehe.
Gimpbstlord  dam i need to update

Kindo dam i need to update

Blarp

pets revamp is needed but making out pets Gimper= BAD JOOJOO  they need to be a littrle more dps with new Vid mods and i'm happy

Braedan_VZ

Some it depends on how we view our pets. While it's nice to be able to do something diff like call a pet he's nothing more than a glorified dot thats buggy in alot of places. While I agree that the aa's like pet hold and suspend made them less problematic the problems are still there.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to create a dismiss ability if it was need to quickly stop them from dpsing and I'm also sure it wouldn't be hard to creaty multiple kinds and give them diff abilities that balance other. A pet that procs an upgraded slow thats lasts 25 secs and replaces current slow w/o dropping its buff, a pet that stuns etc just ideas of course, Higher HP lower dps pets for raids, Higher DPS lower HP pets for grps etc.

Anything can be coded. Just takes work and some originality.

I seriously think our pets would be more useful in Shaman hands.  I never see high level shamans use the pets they're able to summon why? Because its a joke. At higher levels we use them as a dot while they would use them for the purpose they were made. To tank.

Khauruk

Quote from: Braedan_VZ on August 14, 2007, 11:33:23 PMI never see high level shamans use the pets they're able to summon why?

Really?  I see them using their pets constantly.  The dps gain from panther hitting their pet is pretty huge...I can only remember one shammy I've grouped w/ in recent memory who wasn't using his pet. (even solo...it's not uncommon for shammies to still tank-solo things vs. root/rot).
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Spiritclaw

I use my pet all the time while I solo in WoS.  He offtanks adds just fine.  He kills 1 dragorn while I kill another.  Pop off a doom heal and he is just fine.
Spiritclaw Sadiablo
80 Beastlord
AB Server