Main Menu

Equip help needed (Crystallized Glass Staff vs. Anthemion Wardstaff)

Started by Sindaar, September 24, 2007, 09:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindaar

With my current gear (magelo below) I was wondering whether the Anthemion Wardstaff could actually be called an upgrade?
Seeing as I'd be losing 4% spell shielding, detr mana preserv and would be gaining block 4 instead.
Also seeing as block 4 is available on the bracer from Snowtail/Ghost, I'm not so sure it's worth spending dkp...am I wrong?

My guild is currently working on Redfang (best attempt 23% or so I think, wipe occuring on 4th respawn of Redfang) and got Ghost down to 11% or so last try (a few weeks back)...

Thanks in advance,

Elder Mubu Bearlubba
Animal fur collection
Venerable Akilax Jamness
Blessed Armor

Nusa

You've presented the pros and cons nicely, and obviously you don't have to actually decide until one of them drops. But it's pretty much your call. As for worth the dkp, that depends on how reasonable your dkp system is. In mine, I could get the Wardstaff for next to nothing, because it's BST only, I don't care if the other few bsts get it first, and I'm perfectly aware it will rot a LOT after the first few. The Ghost bracer is be another matter -- that's usable by three classes.

Khauruk

Block IV is huge niceness...I'd get it asap.

I would:

Pick up Wardstaff asap, as it's one of the nicer class only items in game atm, even if it is somewhat dated.  If there's long fights atm that you're saving mana on, use BE vs. BATM.  If you want the detr. mana pres on it, try to find an ogre tailor on Prexus, and go w/ the Last Blood route.

Get an aug w/ nice Spell Shielding on it.  Aug the wardstaff w/ that, bandolier in as necessary when the SS is really worthwhile.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Sindaar

Thanks so far for the input :)
Some additional information to our dkp system.
Our dkp system works as follows: 3pts for being on time, then 6pts per hour and 1pt if you're there at the end
Min bid is always 20pts (so approx 3hours of raiding).
Yesterday (before my first post) the Wardstaff dropped and I didnt bid on it, another beastlord then got it for the minimum bid..
I then got into a little discussion as to why I didnt bid seeing as I had more than enough points for whatever may drop later on (Currently at 1110pts).
New drops usually go for somewhere between 150-250.
CoA stuff mainly for 50-125.

Seeing as we've almost got Redfang down and Ghost/Snowtail soon as well I Imagine, I'd like to have enough dkp to get RF belt, Tonfa, Forg. Art. Mesh Boots/Helm, Dodge 4 Ring from Ghost/Snowtail and bracer with block 4/vamp. heal also from Ghost/Snowtail..

So I'll need quite a few points to get them as they drop, so I really try to avoid spending points which don't bring an overall improvement.

Cheers,
Mubu
Elder Mubu Bearlubba
Animal fur collection
Venerable Akilax Jamness
Blessed Armor

Rabekiz

Heh don't get your hopes up for a Tonfa or leather helm, the RNG hates leather classes ... over 20 Redfang kills and neither item has dropped. You might want to eye the cogblaster anyways, its a better weapon (thought theres more classes to compete with over it).

Khauruk

Quote from: Rabekiz on September 25, 2007, 11:36:41 AM
Heh don't get your hopes up for a Tonfa or leather helm, the RNG hates leather classes ... over 20 Redfang kills and neither item has dropped. You might want to eye the cogblaster anyways, its a better weapon (thought theres more classes to compete with over it).

Assuming our damage tables and our double attack skills go up with SoF (they usually do w/ lvl increases), Coggy may not be more dps...at 75, it's already very close.  I'd assume it'll be slightly less at 80.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Pakratz

The original post is an excellent question.   Personally I had a Block 3 item so the Wardstaff was never worth it to me, even if it was free.  In fact I'm still using the glass staff to this day. The RNG can do funny things, for our guild, in about 20 kills so far the tonfa has dropped 6 times I think, the helm once and the Wardstaff once.  The dogs have dropped the wrist item with Block 4 on it twice in about 8 kills.

It looks like you're really on top of things, being careful about spending only on real upgrades, etc.