Main Menu

Knights who can't keep aggro

Started by Argach, January 20, 2004, 02:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noriko

Quote from: Atropine_BBAny knight class that is unable to keep aggro is just plain being lazy.

I agree.

But then, we BL can take aggro from almost any one at will.  Of all the tanks and pullers I've worked with, I can say only a handful have absolute aggro control over me.  While most are competent, some of the newer knight tanks are still relying on damage and proc to hold aggro.  Those are the ones that need to learn.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=774007">Noriko . http://www.celestialrising.com">Celestial Rising . http://pub228.ezboard.com/bxevserverboards">Xev . http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1593">BST65.80/Xv h++ 3khp 3km ft13 r9 G++<3 e++ o+ T+++ L++ H+++@ f g b- t++>++++ D- !X

Aggy

I played a paladin to level 65 + ~100 AA, raiding adventuring, grinding...although my BL is now my main.
:)

2 things to note:

1) to whoever thinks they can tank better as a BL then a paladin: that's a silly thing to say. Paladins should have 200-300 more AC than a similarly equipped BL, and a TON more HP.  They also have the advantage of having the ability to STUN for agro.  Unless you are a super twinked BL AND you are with an under-equipped paladin, the pally should be tanking.

2) any paladin who can't hold agro is either a) lazy or b) doesn't know how to play the class.

Tanking as a paladin is trivial...boring, in fact.  Boring enough that I now play a BL...

Aggy

Another point about paladins who are pulling and tanking:  they should be using a stun to pull AND hitting the mob with a duration stun (not a 0.0 duration - which they are prolly using to pull with) as the mob comes to camp.  Using two stuns like this will lock agro even if the slower slows or tashes before the mob gets to camp.

I'll say it again: agro management for a paladin is so trivial that it is BORING - no excuse for all the slackers I see out there that call themselves paladins.
:(

BloodCelt

When grouped with Shadowknights, I really have problems on aggro    But with Paladins and Warriors, I have to really carefully watch myself or I'll get the ping pong game going.    I always pre-slow to get more aggro before the chanter slaps on the big slow, but usualy give the tank a couple of turns to build hate.

Over all, its not usualy too bad of a problem though since I always have a bard and chanter in group if things get too wild.

BC
[FONT COLOR=yellow]
Ironcelt McClain - Feral Lord - <The Mercenary Syndicate> The Rathe Server

Banuk

Bows have flight time. An SK with a prenerf CoS with no see invis mobs around can break camps this way(fairly rare but it happens). Aside from that, it's fun to pick on rangers.

Sorien

Hands down, at least I know... A pally should be able to keep aggro through the whole thing no matter what a BST throws at it.  The guys wasn't doing his job at all.  I usually inform (through tells) the tank of his lack of ability to tank and give him some helpful hints.  If he does not acknowledge my tells, I simply call him out in the group.  If he doesn not respond to that, I either disband (cause I have no wish to die over someones stupidity) or kick him (If I'm leader of course).  I have even gone so far as to ask for leadership solely to kick the person.  I then graciously give leadership back.  

The worst instance of this was when we were grouped in Kaesora with an SK.  He thought it advantageous to simply let his pet attack while others (cleric, wizard, ME) were getting beat on.  Ohh, you shoulda hear the yellin in that group.  

/g TANK PLEASE??
no response
/g HELLO TANK!!!!!!
no response
/g TANK WOULD YOU KINDLY DO YOUR JOB INSTEAD OF SITTING THERE LIKE A USELESS EXP SPOUNGE!!!!!
he starts to tank hehe

He tanked (sorta) through the rest of the group.  Was a little rough around the edges.  I finally left when he decided not to continue to beat on the MOB after it turned tail and ran.  In which case, the MOB ran right back into the library and bought about 10 of his friends out.  I left only after I gave him a piece of my mind.

BloodCelt

Quote from: BloodCeltWhen grouped with Shadowknights, I really have problems on aggro    

really should have been rarely
[FONT COLOR=yellow]
Ironcelt McClain - Feral Lord - <The Mercenary Syndicate> The Rathe Server

Cerberus

I have a 51 sk as main if I am there as tank getting agro from me is a hard thing to do. When in a group as DPS I must be careful in playing not to take agro from main tank. There is no reason for a pally/sk to loose agro if they are trying to keep it.
O' Great Keeper of the Mystical Rubber mouse.

Katnipfend - 45 - Beastlord

Kinmax

I have a 65 Paly and my 65 BST.  I two box them often, sometimes in the same group but also in seperate groups at the same time.

Using the stuns, taunt, and heals I dont loose agro often if at all.  However, if my BST is not in the same group as my paly and the tank is not paying attention my BST gets agro while slowing,

Its up to the tank to keep the agro.  I hate to see some slowers waiting till the mob is at 60% to slow.  Most exp mobs need to be slowed right off the bat to make the spell worth casting.
Kinmax McGuniess
65 Beastlord
Prexus Shard

Dakat

It's also dependant on the gear the paladin in your group has.  If he is weilding a wormslayer instead of his epic or is wearing Fine Steel instead of Time gear is a good indication.

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: DakatIt's also dependant on the gear the paladin in your group has.  If he is weilding a wormslayer instead of his epic or is wearing Fine Steel instead of Time gear is a good indication.

:P  Yeah the wUrmslayer guy probably knows how to play the game since this is obviously his main and he's gone thru to 65 without twink gear, taking so much more time to do so.  The guy with the time gear is bored out of his skull and thinks he's "all that", but likely just 'tagged along' thru PoP after buying his toon - "which key is for taunt and which is for stun?".  :P

Dumpty

Quoteif we'd wanted to restrict our own aggro we'd gotten a real warrior.
I'd have to disagree somewhat, since the warrior revamp i have less issues "stealing aggro" from them than a knight.
Dumpty <Old Continent>
Wildblood of Xev

TerjynPovar

Then you are either playing with some amazing Warriors or some bad Knights.  Knights still have better lockdown than Warriors do, although it is much better than it was.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

Daarr

QuoteIf he is weilding a wormslayer instead of his epic

Epic is a bad example. I don't even remember the last time I saw somebody using the Paladin epic. It's just for show nowadays. I would worry about anyone actually using it in battle.
Daarr
Shards of Time
Saryrn Server

Aggy

Quote from: DakatIt's also dependant on the gear the paladin in your group has.  If he is weilding a wormslayer instead of his epic or is wearing Fine Steel instead of Time gear is a good indication.

Actually this isn't true for Knights: I experimented quite a bit in guild groups with Paladin agro at 65 and found that I could actually hold agro in a high DPS group without ever turning on my ATK.

(The alternate explanation for the above "experiment" would be that the player behind the keyboard (eg: ME) got so tired that he FORGOT to turn attack on....and still noticed that he could hold agro in a ranger/rogue/wizzie dps group by tossing in a few extra low-mana-cost stuns - - YOU decide what you want to believe!!)
:)

I'm here to tell you that maintaining agro as a paladin in a group is so trivial that it gets BORING.

How boring?
I don't play my 65 palaidn with nearly a hundred AA anymore...I was BORED.

Sure there are exceptions: it took effort to maintain agro whe there was a time-euqipped rogue in my group...or if the wizard was TRYING to get agro...but in 99% of the "normal" group situations paladin agro is trivial.