Main Menu

Just a thought on Peerless Penchant...

Started by Thurman, January 10, 2008, 12:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurman

Just had an idea for this spell.  Its recourse effect is only marginally useful at best.  A 16 minute group haste that takes a lot of mana isn't very practical  and still does nothing to set us apart from Shamans.  I think it would be cool and useful to make the recourse effect a 5 or 10% over-haste that stacks on top of chanter or shaman haste.  I wouldn't see this as game breaking or anything, but would still give BL's a specialized use in groups that people would like.  Just a thought.

Icekracker

Either add mods like that to Peerless Penchant's recourse or just extend the recourse to a *reasonable* timer ( heaven forbid if that makes us "overpowered"  :evil: ).

It's bad when I have to tell groupmates and guildmates to add the recourse to their buff block list to save the extra buff slot. If that's the case, they should just remove the recourse entirely and save us the hassle.
Icekracker - 80 Beastlord of Bertoxxulous

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1378435

Spiritclaw

Tried during beta, and since going live, to get the duration extended.  Prath's response to Hums e-mails/pms was to just recast it when it wore off.  Unfortunately, I think they are going to leave it as is.  I have sent in feedback and PMs (which hasn't been responded to) explaining why it needs to be longer.  But then, sounds like Prath isn't listening to anybody who plays a beast concerning Peerless Penchant.  I personally use it as long as it is up, then just us my regular single target haste because it lasts longer for far less mana.
Spiritclaw Sadiablo
80 Beastlord
AB Server

sicshift

in a group situation that has 3 or more that need haste i use it and ooc med for a tic or so...better than standing there casting long ass celerity 3 or 4 times. that said, ive only been in that situation once or twice. it still boggles me why they wont just give us group celerity

Kanan

I tell everyone who asks about Peerless Penchant to block it and /feedback it.

One guildie is having some issue with blocking it, since I still only have rk1 of it, and they'd blocked rk2.

Since the potions became better than our cast haste spells, I've only clicked my tunic when I run out of haste potions to hand out.

I think I've mem'd haste once since I got the haste clicky tunic like 3 years ago.. and that was on a nekkid run/rez thing, before potions were available.

The recourse on Peerless Penchant is a total waste of code.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Adruger

While I wish the recourse was longer, say at least 30 minutes, so it wouldn't conflict with potions, I really don't mind this spell.  I just keep it memorized and recast it every 16 minutes, at least then I know the group has haste.  Honestly I use it even when I am solo, just because its convienent. 

I tell people to block it if they do not like it.  Or just click it off depending on the situation.  There are a lot of pointless spells out there, this one has its uses, if people chose to use the older spell for duration that's fine.  I do this just because its easier and quicker.  As I am commonly the puller/tank in early morning groups I tend to go for the least downtime.

Spiritclaw

What's really funny is the group haste also lands on the pet.  I actually put it on pet block spell so that i wouldn't get the message that it wore off and make me think i needed to recast it on pet
Spiritclaw Sadiablo
80 Beastlord
AB Server

Bumkus

So what is the consensus of this Spell.

I hear most people complaining about the duration.

Is it safe to say that just having the duration (say at Rnk II) match the underlying buff would "fix" this spell?

Inphared

Not entirely.

For one, I don't like being able to control when I buff people. I accidentally recasted pet haste during a raid and buffed the pulling monk in my group. I was promptly floored.

For two, I don't like that whenever I have to haste my group and I don't want to do singles, it throws off my pet buff timers. Jeswin is already shorter than Penchant, so whenever I redo Penchant the gap between the buff timers is even larger.

They just need to give us the regular spell with a 30 minute base duration.

Nusa

I tried it for a while, but now I simply don't use it in raids. The previous pet haste will have to do. The extra costs and the risks of the unwanted group buff are just not worth the benefits for me.

So no, increasing the recourse haste duration would not "fix" the spell, although it would make it more useful in GROUP situations. In raid situations, it's UNWANTED AND DESPISED!

Denti

In group/solo/duo situations i just use potions, at 9-10.5pp a pop its better than peerless for sure. In a group i just hand out potions whenever someone asks for it.

On raids i never had an issue with recasting since i just did it just prior a fight when clearing was finished, however i can see easily how that can wipe a raid.

sicshift

Not to be a rebel cuz I too would rather just have group celerity, but wouldn't that have the same "aggro" issue as casting penchant? Other than duration, you still have to be sure nobody has aggro when you cast

Bumkus

I had not thought about the issues with recasting during raid.  But wouldn't some of these issues go away if we only had to buffs once every hour to hour and a half?  This is a big difference than trying to recast every 12-15 minutes.

Oh, and I would love if Jeswin duration matched Perless.  It is a headache keeping track of 2 diffrent timers on these.

Rabekiz

Quote from: Bumkus on February 12, 2008, 06:38:19 PM
I had not thought about the issues with recasting during raid.  But wouldn't some of these issues go away if we only had to buffs once every hour to hour and a half?  This is a big difference than trying to recast every 12-15 minutes.

Increasing the duration of the recourse will have negligible impact on raiding beastlords unless you have zero enchanters. I use this spell all the time in a group setting but only because I dont like wasting bag space for pots, I'm too lazy to click my PoP tunic 5 times (10 seconds a click), and I have over 16K mana so its barely a drain.

Lets be honest in this discussion, the aggro transfer it causes during raids isnt an item worthy of discussion ... every group buff has the same problem. Our real beef continues to be that haste potions are superior and despite being a hybrid of a shammy, this is one of the few buff lines that failed keep pace with the normal upgrade paradigm without a real good reason being put forward by the devs (of course our cure line is the same way but dont get me started on that). They tried 2 innovative ways to introduce a new slow and a new haste, both have failed miserably.

Inphared

Quote from: Rabekiz on February 13, 2008, 01:41:32 PM
Lets be honest in this discussion, the aggro transfer it causes during raids isnt an item worthy of discussion ... every group buff has the same problem.

That's exactly the point though - it shouldn't be an issue at all. It doesn't need to be tied to our pet haste, period.

Everything else I agree with though.