Main Menu

Which focus?

Started by Gharrik, April 25, 2008, 11:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gharrik

I finally bought the SoF mega expansion pack, so I sold my LoN booster pack and I've got a truckload of plat.  I figure I should grab a pet focus item before I blow it all.  My question is, do I go with the Sweeper, for Minion of Eternity, or just get one of the MUCH cheaper options with Minion of Darkness?  Either way I get the pet regen, and I never intend to play pet cleric, so I'm tempted to get the cheaper item and some other gooides.  But is the better focus worth triple the price??

facemassher

make sure the max lvl on which ever you get will work for your pet some of the foci cap out before sof pets

Vidyne

I think ritual is the lowest that will work on SoF pets.
Darkness will not work on 62 and 64 pets

Otherwise, the difference between eternity(won't work on SoF pets), and Darkness(won't work on SoF pets) is not huge.  It is a little more max hit and a little more HP for the pet, Both add 2 levels to the pet, and the level is one of the biggest thing a pet focus does.

The regen bonus for pet focus is not as important anymore, as pets get ooc regen now, 10% of their base HP per tick I believe.
This means the 250/tick or 300/tick regen bonus(that was darkness i think for the 64 or 68 pet, when not in combat), is overshadowed by ooc.

Gharrik

Thought I'd heard you could use the regen with /pet hold to offtank nasty stuff.  Eh, either way, sounds like I'll go for the lower focus and save a ton on money.  Thanks for the input. :)

Vidyne

In the olden days, you could /pet hold with pet tanking a mob and the regen would kick in "as long as the pet is not attacking"
Nowadays, the regen only kicks in(for pet focus I think), if "the pet is not #1 on the aggro list"(tanking)
OoC regen I think kicks in for the pet(10% base HP/tick) when no combat, pretty sure same as it does for players, although we don't get 10% a tick.

Gharrik

Ah, I see.  So the pet focus is now really just to increase the dog's level, plus a little extra damage and hitpoints.  Definitely not worth the price I see the Sweeper going for.  I'll hold out for the lower level focus.  But it really doesn't work on the 62 and 64 pets?  That sucks.  Drowned man's hair is req lvl 55, rec lvl 60.  That's false advertising. :)

Jilu

I bought the SoF expansion as well and didnt notice any LoN cards. Is this an item you have to claim in EQ?

On another note. I currently have the Enchanted Harpy Blade (which has Minion of Darkness) and at my current level of 61 I have not noticed any diffence in my pet. I guess I will just have to bank it until I get a few more levels. I didnt even notice what it was when it was first given to me by a friend.

Vidyne

minion of darkness won't focus any pet except the 68, 70, and 73 pet, regarding beastlords.

Gharrik

Quote from: Jilu on April 28, 2008, 07:49:47 PM
I bought the SoF expansion as well and didnt notice any LoN cards. Is this an item you have to claim in EQ?
It's in the /claim menu, called Bounty of Faydwer.  Sold mine in /barter for 40k, so you might get even more if you're patient.