Main Menu

What am I doing wrong?

Started by Sourpus, May 06, 2008, 04:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sourpus

I am trying to run two copies of EQ, in separate directories (I copied my patched Dir to a new one), made sure the .exe files pointed to the correct dirs.  Run one, no problem, go to open the other and I get an error when I hit the play button.

I assume something is pointing to the session I have open already and causing a conflict, crashing the second out.

Any ideas?

kindarring2

Do you have eqwindows? if not may want to go to eqwindows.com i think.
Gimpbstlord  dam i need to update

Kindo dam i need to update

hokarz

I play both my sessions from the same directory and never have a problem, except with autofollow.
Savage Lord Hokarz

Vuncar

I also run both instances out of the single default directory (using one monitor).  Load times are increased a bit when I zone both toons simultaneously, but aside from that I have little difficulty.   I also use WinEQ2, which allows me to set foreground and background FPS independently, and yeah that really screws with autofollow heh.

Nusa

What error, specifically? The play button on the patcher, or the play button on the server page?

Tiroon

Just covering basics here: Do you have 2 accounts or are you trying to log in twice with the same account? You need two accounts to play two sessions at the same time.

Other than this I cannot see anything wrong from your description.
Tiroon Firefang
Vah Shir Savage Lord
Stromm

Ignorance killed the cat! Curiosity was framed.

Jaah

When I box I simply run the patcher, once it's done running, run it again and viola both my accounts are in.  No EQwindows, 1 copy of EQ installed on my laptop.

Sourpus

I was simply getting a window pop up saying "An error occurred with testeqgame.exe ".  Nothing specific at all.  This was after I would hit the play button. 

I wound up downloading EQ Win 2.0 Lite and have no issue 2 boxing now.  Btw, yes, I am on 2 different accts. 

Thanks all for the replies.  I was getting a bit frustrated knowing that 2 diff dir SHOULD definitely work, but not able to figure out why. 

TabarQuell

I pop up two instances of EQ when i box (Bst/Mnk or Bst/Dru, depending on what i'm doing)

It normally works just fine for me unless i've been running two instances for a long time (several days, or several hours of intense gameplay).

If i do run it for too long, and close one of the instances (or one crashes...), it sometimes will not let me re-open the second one. It will crash right after i hit play, telling me Illegal operation or a C++ Runtime Error.

The problem is fixed when i reset the computer though, so perhaps your system is becoming (or already is) overloaded and cannot handle running two EQ instances at once (without winEQ or the like)
Steamslayer Tabar Amastacia
Quellious Server
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/700199

Sarkaukar

Quote from: Sourpus on May 07, 2008, 10:11:46 PM
I was simply getting a window pop up saying "An error occurred with testeqgame.exe ".  Nothing specific at all.  This was after I would hit the play button. 

I wound up downloading EQ Win 2.0 Lite and have no issue 2 boxing now.  Btw, yes, I am on 2 different accts. 

Thanks all for the replies.  I was getting a bit frustrated knowing that 2 diff dir SHOULD definitely work, but not able to figure out why. 

In case someone runs across this.  The error is normally due to video mode resolution in your eqclient.ini being different from your desktop, esp if Windowedmode=false instead of true.

Follow the instructions below if an error pops up after hitting the Play button on the patcher.

Open up your eqclient.ini, located in the main Everquest folder, delete everything there and insert the following lines, changing the Videomode settings to match your desktop's current resolution, keeping both W/H and WW/WH the same (I only used different numbers so that the lines would stand out).

Also, if you run the Options (or optioneditor.exe) to select/deselect models, afterwards you may need to edit the VideoMode settings since that Options Editor does not show all the available resolutions.

[Defaults]
WindowedMode=TRUE

[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=1024
Width=1024
Height=768
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=60

nedoirah

One more thing to use is the viewport command if you have video issues. /viewport xx xx xx xx changes the viewable screen size. The first xx is the distance in pixels from the left. The second xx is the distance form the top. The third xx is the viewable screen size in width and the fourth xx is the height of the screen. This makes the viewable screen smaller and places a black border around the viewable screen. I use it when I'm boxing on my main comp to reduce the lag and vid memory usage. I was surprised how much smoother my eq ran after i did that. My viewport command is /viewport 128 0 1024 800. This gives me a viewable interface of 1024 by 800 while leaving a nice black border for all my windows like chat and such to go around it. :)