Main Menu

Pet Model Idea

Started by Eflynn, May 27, 2008, 03:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eflynn

I posted this in the EQ Beastlord class forum, then figured more people would read it over here ... so:

I've always thought that each race should have a few different pet models to choose from, it could be by spell level (lvl 60 pet is a scaled wolf, lvl 70 pet is a basilisk) or model could vary by summon effect (lvl 60 pet is normally a scaled wolf, with MoE is a spider, with RS focus is a basilisk).  But this would still limit pet "costumization" so I was thinking of another way:

What if beasties could (either by way of AA, spells, or quested clickies) get illusions to cast on our warders.  This would satisfy those who hate their pet models without tickin off those that like them.

Some of these illusions could have an additional PROC (possibly that wouldn't stack with Hobble and Lockfang) that would have another "utility type" PROC - like a debuff (stat - would statisfy upgrade to our Cripple line or saves - adding to our utility and making it easier to land slow and DoTs), a DoT proc (we got it for a clickie already on the TSS BP), an AE proc (afterall, shammies got some AE DoTs why can't we get one in the form of a pet proc equal to one of their lower level ones), a PROC that benefits us (I don't know how hard it would be to make a recourse type effect to hit us, if that's beyond what can be done give another recourse to our pets, like a HoT) or have a simple ATK, Crit, or Double Attack component on it.  Each line could have a different model associated with it.  Maybe a Snake for the DoT line, or a spider for the AE line.

The PROC is just a bonus idea to help round out the spells that have been long forgotten (we used to get old shammie spells in addition to some specific beastie ones, the last few expansions there haven't been any.  The point of this thread is to introduce the illusion concept more than to get us an additional utility PROC.  So what do you think?  I'd love to get rid of the scaled wolf - the model is as old as Kunark and has been broken since beastlords were created.  I'd love to be able to change the way my pet looks whenever I feel like it.

Each illusion could be teired: spells or clickies with only the illusion could be quested at lower levels (afterall it's only changing the look of the warder), with some special models reserved for a high level drop or quest.  Then if the illusion included a PROC component it could be either an AA, higher level spell, or a quest that had a high level requirement to even get it.

I personally like the quest idea (afterall it is EverQUEST), they could be tailored so that it could be soloed, with a bit of difficulty, by a beastie of that level.  So with the illusion you get a sense of pride and accomplishment.  Within the "quest" idea - the illusions that have a PROC component would need a group to finish which could scale with the importance of the PROC.

I'll post screenshot ideas of illusions and possible PROCs that I think would go with them.  Please give some feedback on this idea and post some models you'd like to see - as well as any PROCs that would help our class fulfill it's role.  Maybe something could come of this.

kharthai

Neat idea.  I think necros get a pet illusion spell already (zombie?), so I imagine it would be possible, though having separate ones for each race might be a bit of a stretch.  I'd say that a werewolf pet illusion spell would make sense, if werewolf weren't so overused already.

Gharrik

I like it, and it could actually fly since necros get the exact same kind of spell for the exact same reason (many hate a particular pet model).

Rather than an AA or whatever though, I think it would be cool to have quested spells/abilities from areas around each beastlord home town.  I'm a barbarian, so I'm thinking somewhere out on the tundra there could be an NPC (Tundra Jack?) giving a quest for a polar bear pet.

Mostly though, I'd like new pet models.  The animals in newer zones are so much cooler than the current warder models.  Wish a warder model upgrade would finally come through.  Same for mages too.  The earth pet is freakin awesome, but it's like the designer ran out of ideas and cookie-cuttered the others. :(