Main Menu

What spell set to use to max DPS

Started by Wolventail, June 21, 2008, 06:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolventail

I'm new to raiding and have searched the forums about maximizing DPS so I was wondering what kind of Spells sets people use, it sounds mostly like 4 to 5 nukes loaded at a time, but any help on what my 10 spell set should consist of will help immensely.

Also for general soloing/grouping I'd like to know what people are using in their line up as well.

Thanks,
Wolventail

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1388225

Raetherin

Typically, on raids i load up my slow, then Howl, then 4 or 5 nukes then a growl and a heal (myself) and fero. I dont bother with a pet heal, (if the AA heal cant keep him up then i just make a new one). Since our posion nukes became linked (sux) I find that using growl alot really pumps out the dps. As for grouping, I use the same setup. Soloing will see me bring in a pet heal, but otherwise my spell sets dont change all that much. Hope this helps mate.
Raetherin - 70 - Beastlord - The Nameless

Rilelil

My standard raid spell set is  2 cold nukes since  it will lock out the third ice nuke would be locked due to spell linking and then one poison nuke. Then i keep SE and fero up for the occasional request then my heal  puma  pet heal bark  and pet rune since it can be knocked off mid fight and tends to help with  pet health.  I do switch out for slow on pet run during clears and what not  but usually the shaman have slows well in hand. Gropup set up I take puma out and  sub in slow there and use the last spell slot as a utility slot.

Nusa

Raetherin, you must not have played lately. Two ice nukes and one poison nuke are all you are gonna get to work. You can mem more, but the extras are linked into uselessness now. But yes, before that I had four nukes memmed most of the time.

My standard lineup these days is:
Slow
Poison Nuke
Ice Nuke
Ice Nuke
Howl pet
Invis/utility/Ferocity (65 version...upgrades aren't worth the mana)
SE/utility/2nd slow(when primary slower)
Player heal
Delayed Pet heal (together with AA heals is usually all I need for pet...but in a pinch the player heal could be used on pet too)
Growl of Panther (69 spell has same damage bonus as Puma for a lot less mana...I consider Puma very situational)

I use spell invis for general use, but keep invis potions on potion bar for when I need invis fast, if invis is failing in a bad spot, or if it's not memmed.

Kanan

/chuckle.. mine's similar.

For stuff where I"m slowing its:
Poison nuke
SE
HatM
Promised Mending
Growl
Slow
Minohtens (hmm.. think I need to check my focus and mebbe load daria's)
Bulwark of TriQaras
Cold nuke #1
Poison dot

For raids, since our guild has 1 copy of SE rk2, i don't bother loading it
Poison nuke
Falrazim's Gnashing
Hatm
promised
growl (i r lazy and honestly dunno what else to bother memming here, since I don't slow on raids)
Cold nuke #1
Targeted Heal (see above comment ;p)
Bulwark
Cold nuke #2
Poison dot #2

On a long fight, I think I may get 2, 3 casts of each of the dots off.  I'm tempted to test if lower level versions will make mana resurgence fire like mana flare did and just load up a nice cheap lower level dot to get that mana some better usage.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

sylventhe

Default Setup is:

1. Vicious Ferocity (for the most part a waste of mana, but whatever)
2. Spiked Sleet Rk III
3. Minhoten's Mending
4. Sha's Legacy
5. Jagged Torrent
6. Bite of the Borrower
7. Spirit of Silverwing
8. Peerless Penchant
9. Howl at the Moon
10. Growl of the Puma (though I use Panther for flat-out-dps)

If I wanted to go full-on-balls-to-the-wall, I'd probably do these swaps:
1. Fever Surge
2. Spiked Sleet Rk III
3. Minhoten's Mending
4. Falrazim's Gnashing
5. Jagged Torrent
6. Bite of the Borrower
7. Spirit of Silverwing
8. Diregriffon's Bite
9. Howl at the Moon
10. Growl of the Panther

The real problem here is casting times.  Spiked Sleet, Jagged Torrent, and Bite of the Borrower all cast in 0.5 second, which means you won't miss melee swings to cast them.  Fever Surge, Falrazim's Gnashing, and Diregriffon's Bite all cast in 3 seconds (1.5 in reality), which means you will miss melee swings unless you're using very high delay weapons (like delay 32 or higher).  Now I realize our swing timers don't get reset when we cast, and we'll swing at the very next available opportunity, but that delay costs us DPS.

Keep in mind you're going to be burning mana like crazy with a setup like this.  So if you're expecting a 15-minute slugfest, I'd recommend something more sustainable.  For a 2-3 minute fight, though, this setup will do pretty well for itself, I imagine.  Also, land your DoTs before you disc so they are going while you're in Bestial / Empathic Fury, and they wear off after your offensive disc has faded and not during it.  You want to maximize your melee swings during your time under disc.

Damim

I use:

Minhoten's Mending
Growl
Howl
Fero
Sha's Legacy
Pet heal (the one that removes detrimental effects)
Incapacitate
Jagged Torrent
Spiked Sleet
Bite of the Borrower

The pet heal and incapacitate are my "hot swap" slots for buffing or whatever else I may need to mem on the fly, the rest is up full time.

Adruger

Group/Solo

Daria's Mending
Jagged Torrent
Bite of the Borrower
Spiked Sleet
Sha's Legacy
Sha's Revenge
Howl
Peerless Penchant
Promised Recovery
Invis/Hot Swap