Main Menu

Dial up call notification software..where at?

Started by Panthur, January 06, 2009, 06:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panthur

Anyone know where I can find this for the PC? I am stuck with dial-up and i need to know when someone is calling me if i am on line.

I used to have this feature yearsand yearsago, but now i can't remember where or what it was or where from anymore.

Thanks.

Inphared

You can find a good service here:

www.buy-cable-internet.com

Khauruk

TURNCOAT!!!!!

Inphared

I thought (at minimum) cable internet was a requirement for living  :-(

Khauruk

Last placed I lived at (only a few miles away), neither cable nor dsl is available.  Cable never will be there, and DSL might be within a few *years.*  Hence me not raiding for several years :).  I don't disagree, but for most of the geographic country, it's not an option.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Grbage

Many places, mainly in rural areas, are still stuck with dial up as an only option. I don't consider satellite a good option myself as it is rather spendy.

Last place I lived where I had dial up I didn't need any software to tell me there was a call. I would go LD every single time.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Nusa

Many years ago, back before broadband was common, my solution was simply to get a second phone line solely for computer use.

In this day and age, I just use my cell phone for talking to humans and my land-line is for computer use. (My land-line is currently broadband cable, but that's a detail. I no longer need a land-line phone.)

Khauruk

Mine maxed out at 26.4kbps (usually 19.2), and I needed to walk to the end of my driveway to use a cell phone.  Most of the area had no reception.  Many areas don't have those either.

And yeah...satellite sucks.  $$$$ + laggy.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

AbyssalMage

Im going to ask this and I already regret typing it....

What is your lag with Dial-Up?  I currently use Satelite (shared with 3 other houses) and I avg. 1500 Ping (from the lag meter that tells you your connection streangth and lag, F11).  Which translates into about a 2 sec delay and a 1-3 minute zone every time I zone.  Also, when every I try to mem a spell set I have to "select" that spell set 2x.  Once to un-mem any spell I may have mem'd and again to mem the spell set.  Granted I don't go LD due to lots of action on screen so I do have that to consider.

So whats your lag, zone times, LD occurance, and any other trivial information you don't mind sharing.

Thanks.

P.S. Living in the country does suck when the cable line runs 500 ft from your house but your "too far from the city" as the cable guys says to recieve service!
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Nusa

Makes sense....signal travel time via satellite would be over 500 ms alone, plus equipment delays and landline speeds from the satellite ISP's location to Sony.

Been too long since even had a dial-up modem installed to answer directly. And the answer would depend partly on the quality of your local phone lines and what baud rate you can connect at. But I do have two guildies who play dial-up from Hawaii...they even 2 and 3 box sometimes.

Khauruk

That sounds about right for satellite honestly (from what I know about it).  High throughput, but high lag.  Can you still increase packet size?  That might help some.

My dialup was on an ~400ms ping typically.  I also needed to do the double mem for spellsets, and had the very long zone times.  I could 2-box but needed to be careful about zoning the toons (couldn't zone them at the same time), and it took up to 5 minutes sometimes.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Grbage

When I had dial up it was a 26.4 connection which resulted in roughly 400ms ping, same as Khauruk. Zone times were 3-5 minutes but I never had to do double duty for spell sets. During raids I could function but needed to mainly use keyboard commands instead of the mouse, the lag made clicking a button to hard.

I couldn't imagine dial up now, some of those zones must give dial up modems a heart attack (FoS).
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv