Main Menu

Breaking point for CPU/GPU on EQ?

Started by Vidyne, May 08, 2009, 04:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidyne

Developed a theory for this, but not sure if it would be accurate.

3dmark is a benchmarking application for gamers to use on their systems.  I'm not as interested in the benchmark though as that it should... in theory since it has a cpu test and a graphics test, put a heavy load on the system.  Heavy work load translates to heat.

Idle:
CPU = 37c
7600GT = 46c
Chipset = 47c

3dMark
CPU = 53-54c
7600GT = 56-58c
Chipset = 53c

Everquest (I went to the globby, and some of the laggiest places for me(Kurn's tower, Field of Scale, though I haven't tested a raid yet)
CPU = 52 - 53c
7600GT = 48-49c
Chipset = 50-51c

Just looking at the numbers, it would appear to me... that the video card during EQ, isn't doing alot.  That it really isn't "stressing" itself.
It would appear on the other hand that the CPU is.  Therefore at the moment, I've decided the CPU is the weakest link.

AbyssalMage

Interesting.  Wouldn't of thought that the CPU would be over worked and overheating.
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Khauruk

I like your test.  EQ definitely appears to be maxing out your cpu.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Nusa

I still say your CPU should be plenty for the non-graphics portion of EQ...up until last year I was running EQ on an Athlon 64 3000 with a 6600.

I don't suppose you've done something silly like limiting or turning off hardware acceleration on your graphics card and forgotten to undo it?

You could look in your <eq directory>/logs/eq.dbg file to get a clue whether your dispay card is getting errors starting up in EQ, or reverting to software rendering for some reason.

Vidyne

You have to take into account one thing.  EQ IS playable on this system, and it still performs well in 90% of situations/zones.

Only Field of Scale, Kurn's Tower, Guild lobby, and any raid of 40+ give it problems.  I'm probably ok using it for another year if I had to, but being it will be turning 4 yr old next year, and that it sounds like a server in a server room..... I wanted to get a new computer anyway and a new case.  The computer is full of old standards...  AGP, SATA 1.5, Socket 939, 20pin power, DDR400.  It can grow no more :)

But seeing that the video isn't used alot in EQ, I "may" save 40$ and go for a 9500gt(DDR2, 128bit bus, weaker core) instead of a 9600GT(GDDR3, 256bit bus, strong core).  However I think i'll spend 100$ extra to get the more powerful E8400 processor.

If I avoid 3 zones, and raiding... this system still plays EQ fine and has no shortfalls.  It's just annoying to have choppy/studdering in those zones.
I'm merely wanting to remedy those 3 zones and raiding, and secure a computer for another 3-4 years of EQ.

Khauruk

I'm going to wait another year to upgrade...Windows7 being live, USB3.0, and cheaper Nehalem processors (and whatever vid card) will look tempting then w/ 8gb of ram.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Nusa

Ok, I went and played around in Field of Scale while watching both CPU loading and graphics loading (I run dual monitors on separate graphics cards, so that's easy for me to do). I do notice the CPU load changing significantly based on the number of NPC's on the screen. It's not the zone itself...face an area with only a few NPC's in it and it's pretty normal. But look at the armies and you notice it. In the worst views, I estimate I had over 150 raptors, skeletons, humanoids, drakes, and dragons visible on the screen. So yes, there's a real CPU component to all those movable bodies, be it collision detection or rendering. I sit corrected.

bobokatt1970

I found over the years that drive access is an issue as well. I run my EQ from a separate physical hardrvie than my OS is installed on.  That in itself helped tremendously from having everything on one drive.  RAM also, like others have said makes a huge difference. Even if you stick to a 32bit OS, having 4 GB of RAM is NOT going to hurt yah. You might only see or address 3.2 GB but it's better than 2.

Video cards to play a part up to a point.  I was playing on a computer that had a built in card and it was aweful. Upgraded to an ATI x1900 xt and it was total bliss. Then after a few years I upgraded to a GTX 8800 and never really noticed much of an improvement even though the 8800 GTX runs rings around the x1900 in other games or benchmarks.