Main Menu

Breaking point for CPU/GPU on EQ?

Started by Vidyne, May 08, 2009, 04:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidyne

Athlon 64 3700 (2.2ghz) and 7600GT are getting a little slow on EQ in raids/overpopulated zones these days.  17-28dps in SoD kurn's tower with 5 people in zone, 8-11fps in guild lobby, 12-18fps in most raids.  The issue seems to be mostly luclin models or models in general, but possibly also new zone textures.
I get 65fps + in guild hall, less if there are more people in it.  I get 100+fps in the great divide when its empty.

I've been reading reviews on E5200 and it seems like it should be fine and I won't need to up it to a E8400 for EQ, but EQ seems to defy normal logic for computers these days.

Basically wondering if I can skimp on the Proc or Graphics for EQ, or I need both a E8400 and a 9600GT to run EQ well for a few more years and not get less than 30fps except in lobby.  The E5200 is much much cheaper than the E8400 while a 8600GT or 9500GT isn't a lot cheaper than a 9600GT.

Anyone have any of these processors/cards that could comment on how well they handle eq?
Does EQ really stress the processor so that even a 8600GT or 9500GT video card will be fine as long as the CPU is strong, video don't matter?
I'm just looking to get 30+ fps in all situations(raiding/new zones) except guild lobby for a few years. 

Nusa

I'm not up on the power vs numbering on video cards lately, other than noting years ago that higher numbered model numbers are not necessarily more powerful cards...that's marketing people trying to fool you half the time.

To answer the question one way: EQ is not a processor heavy game, by modern standards. The amount of system memory and the quality of the graphics card have a much bigger impact than the CPU power itself. Your Athlon should be fine for EQ.

To answer the question another way: EQ isn't a twitch game, updates from the network come at a fairly slow rate...FPS, once past an acceptable number, is epeen-waggling rather than a useful metric. What you're noticing is the CHANGE in FPS based on what's rendered. Go into options->Display->Advanced and set the MAX FPS slider to a reasonable number like 20 and see how you like it. Past that, your performance is going to be based on how many bells and whistles you insist on having turned on (things like shadows are really big offenders). If you gotta have every whistlle, then buy a high-end graphics card. If you're willing to turn off a lot and reduce your clip plane, you could still run EQ on a 10-year old graphics card.

Vidyne

Everything is set to low or off, except for having luclin models loaded.
All spell/env/player particles are off
Advanced Lighting is off
Floral is off
Shadows are off

Guild lobby FPS =20 with no luclin models and all settings off/low,  50% clip pane
Guild lobby FPS = 10 with luclin models on, and all settings off/low, 50% clip pane.

All I'm trying to do is run EQ with luclin models on, and maintain 26-30 fps in all situations except GLobby.

7600GT is the medium range card, just before you get to the "hardcore gaming cards".  Nvidia's numbering mechanic goes something like this:
First number in the card = generation of card
Second number in the card = Type of card(lower = business/weak/small/quiet,  higher = gamer/strong/large/loud

So seeing as I can't lower my settings anymore, this is just not working :)
All the slider does is cap the FPS so it can't go past a certain point, this helps in zones that I don't lag in by keeping the GPU cooler I guess. 

With everything turned off(except for shaders and H/W vertex, and luclin models), I"m getting these numbers.  So just the rendering of the zones and other places and npcs is too much for this computer.
I know any computer I buy will beat this one, I just want to spend money where it matters most.  If the 7600GT isn't the one being the problem, and its the 2gb DDR PC3200 ram or the Athlon 3700 2.2ghz, I want to spend more money on the processor there instead of buying say... a 9800GT or GTX260 to play EQ.

Khauruk

I'd start looking at what other processes are running, and other memory offenders - that system should be doing alright w/ EQ...at least with one instance.  Multi-boxing would be hard though.

Something's eating up your processor cycles.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Inphared

You only have 2 gigs of ram?

Are you on a 32-bit Operating System? If you're on a 64-bit OS, upgrade to at least four gigabytes.

Vidyne

Windows XP 32bit

Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2ghz
Gigabyte K8NSC-939
2gb Kingston 3-3-3 CAS, 1024mb PC3200 400mhz
AGP 7600GT 256mb
WD 7200rpm SATA1.5 16mb cache 250gb
integrated NIC
Sound Blaster Audigy(7yr old)
430W Antec TruepowerII

MemTest = 2 passes, 0 errors

Task manager:
Eqgame.exe using 750mb - 900mb of memory and Virtual memory
Firefox.exe uses 50mb-130mb of memory and virtual memory
svchost.exe and explorer.exe use 15-30mb of memory/virtual memory
ashserv.exe uses 5mb of memory, 28mb of Virtual memory
Everything else is below 10mb both
Nothing uses the CPU that I can see on task manager except EQ

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Tiny Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

I will also run speedfan and Fraps during EQ.
That's current processes atm, Avast is disabled from active scanning.

Basically...

Can this run EQ with luclin models on, and achieve 30fps except in globby, with no shadows, no particles, no bells and whistles besides models:

Intel Pentium Dual Core Wolfdale 45nm E5200 2.5ghz 2mb L2 cache, SSE4 disabled, no virtualization
4gb gskill or kingston DDR2 800mhz
WD or Seagate 320gb - 640gb 7200rpm 16 or 32mb cache
nvidia 9500GT or nvidia 8600GT
Integrated sound/NIC
500W or 600W power

or will I need something like this:
Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale 45nm E8400 3.0ghz 6mb L2 cache, SSE4, virtualization(not that I think either of those matters for EQ)
4gb gskill or kingston DDR2 probably 1066mhz
WD or Seagate 320-640gb
Nvidia 9600GT
Integrated sound/NIC
600W power

Current system will eventually go because:
It's starting to show signs of slowness outside EQ
I want multiple cores for multitasking
It has a load of old standards/interfaces that are obsolete rendering it not upgradeable
The case doesn't shield noise well and its as loud as a server

Temps are 45-47C Idle, 53C load on the 7600GT
38-42C idle and 51-55C load on the CPU
47C idle and 57C load on the northbridge
Yes I've cleaned out the case of dust bunnies, once/month.

Yes, AMD cool n quiet is disabled, just in case you asked :)

Inphared

Quote from: Vidyne on May 09, 2009, 01:45:02 PM
I will also run speedfan and Fraps during EQ.

That's your biggest culprit. If you're actually filming whilst playing EQ, your FPS is going to get raped.

If you just want an FPS counter, download WinEQ 2.

Vidyne

not filming to my knowledge, just using it for FPS readout.

Khauruk

The second system with the higher L2 cache etc will provide a longer use-cycle and overall better processor performance by far, but either should be able to do what you're looking for easily.  I would however look at motherboards that can support 64bit operating systems and higher amounts of memory (as a forward-looking thing).
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Quallo

How much RAM is in your current computer? In my experience, RAM has been a bottleneck for EQ.

For comparison, I run the same CPU but OC'd to 2.5Ghz, 2gb ram, and a 512mb 8800GT. I don't have SoD so I can't say what my FPS is there, but I rarely lag anywhere, even when 2 boxing.

There is one program I HIGHLY recommend that makes EQ play much nicer (as the name suggests).
Go to http://www.lavishsoft.com and download WinEQ2. It lets you alt tab and do other things while EQ is running. It works MUCH better than the Alt+Enter feature EQ has.
71 Beastlord - Saryrn

Vidyne

2gb, same as you, except you likely have PCI-E and possibly DDR2 memory.

Basically don't know if its the DDR 400mhz,  2.2ghz Athlon 3700, or 7600GT agp 256mb that's holding it back.

If you could get a E5200 2.5ghz and 9600GT or E8400 with a 9500GT, which would you get?  ie...  is it more important to spend money on the vid card or the processor?  I'm pretty sure the answer is the processor, but given the above user claims with a processor similar to mine, just slightly overclocked....  i'm wondering.

Fraps isn't the culprit, same stuttering/fps lag with it  or without it.
Any upgrade will play "better" than my current system, because it will upgrade ram, gpu, and cpu.  I just want to know what eq presses on the most.  Whether its worth dumping money to move from a E5200(value/mid cpu) to a E8400/E8500(one of the stronger dual cores) or a quad core(lower clock and eq don't fully utilize multiple cores, so 99% sure dual > quad).  Or to dump money in a powerful vid card over a mid vid card..  9500GT(light gamer), 9600GT(medium gamer), 9800GTX(heavy gamer), for that generation.

AbyssalMage

--Your RAM is low, need to goto 3 Gig's for the newer zones.  EQ isn't RAM friedly.  Luclin Graphics eats 512 by itself leaving you with 1.5 RAM.  I remember EQ eating another 256 just playing EQ (on my old system) so thats not leaving you alot just for EQ in the newer zones.
--Would turn everything off in the backgroup (FRAPS and stuff) and turn them back on individually.  Something is eating your memory (besides EQ).
--Other than RAM, your system spec's on EQ are great.

P.S. EQ patches may have screwed up my first statement.  With all the patching they did awhile ago with graphic cards, not really sure how munch RAM EQ eats anymore.  I know they have made improvements so it could all be false now.
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Inphared

Quote from: AbyssalMage on May 11, 2009, 10:32:46 AM
--Your RAM is low, need to goto 3 Gig's for the newer zones.

Before you take this token of advice, be advised that 32-bit Operating Systems (usually) cannot make use of anything more than two gigabytes of RAM. You will need a 64-bit OS to make anything above 2 worth anything.

Grimwill

Quote from: Vidyne on May 08, 2009, 11:47:29 PM
Everything is set to low or off, except for having luclin models loaded.
All spell/env/player particles are off
Advanced Lighting is off
Floral is off
Shadows are off

Guild lobby FPS =20 with no luclin models and all settings off/low,  50% clip pane
Guild lobby FPS = 10 with luclin models on, and all settings off/low, 50% clip pane.

All I'm trying to do is run EQ with luclin models on, and maintain 26-30 fps in all situations except GLobby.

7600GT is the medium range card, just before you get to the "hardcore gaming cards".  Nvidia's numbering mechanic goes something like this:
First number in the card = generation of card
Second number in the card = Type of card(lower = business/weak/small/quiet,  higher = gamer/strong/large/loud

So seeing as I can't lower my settings anymore, this is just not working :)
All the slider does is cap the FPS so it can't go past a certain point, this helps in zones that I don't lag in by keeping the GPU cooler I guess. 

With everything turned off(except for shaders and H/W vertex, and luclin models), I"m getting these numbers.  So just the rendering of the zones and other places and npcs is too much for this computer.
I know any computer I buy will beat this one, I just want to spend money where it matters most.  If the 7600GT isn't the one being the problem, and its the 2gb DDR PC3200 ram or the Athlon 3700 2.2ghz, I want to spend more money on the processor there instead of buying say... a 9800GT or GTX260 to play EQ.

Try turning off the H/W vertex and shaders.  My old computer ran better with them off for no apparent reason.

Vidyne

32bit apps are limited to asking for 2gb memory by a 32bit os.  While he is right that it might bump eq's memory from say 1.75 available to eq, to 2.00 available to eq, I don't see that as a huge jump.  Right now eq is asking for 2gb, and probably getting 1.75ish because the system is using 200 or so I'd guess.  Bumping it to 3gb would let eq ask for a full 2gb I'd assume.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
D:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest\eqgame.exe

So, which out of those else can I stop?
Nothing is eating my memory or CPU, I've looked.  This system is just weak at the core, or something is underperforming.  Tried without/with vertex shaders, no difference.

Run EQ at 640x480, same fps as it has at 1024x768, or 1280x960