Main Menu

A Community Divided (kinda long)

Started by Vecsus, January 25, 2004, 02:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiosT

you left out the whole opening statement about mentioning this site's moderators/admins...

In my time as an admin at the COM site, oaga never really said anything, gave any opinions, or had time to update his website...

When he sold out quickly, we had almost no warning (he mentioned it 3-4 days before he sold), and then most the moderators left...

I dont know most the new moderator staff, and by that I mean.. some of them i've never seen post before, therefore I question where yantis found them...

As for the two communities being apart..

As far as im concerned, the community split, and will remain split, after oaga's quick sellout, kicking of all the admins/moderators from the board (without so much as a PM, E-mail, or whatever to explain why, I had to read the den to figure out what happened), filtering of the new site from linking off...

Ok, and thats just for starters.. what really ticks me is the addition of a re-direct on EZBoard for anyone who wanted to go back there, using OUR community's donated money for yanti$' gain (without our donations, EZBoard would have removed oaga from admin status of the board and disallowed the redirect), and then subsequent bans/filters to keep people in yanti$' pocket...

While I respect Oaga's need, I disapprove of his new 'job' of feeding yantis some young beastlords free gear/characters, or outright scams.... Right now i do have something against Oaga, and that's the fact he ran to sell out, then remained to give us old members of the community the finger, and use our money from EZBoard for his gain..

Major difference between the two sites now, is freedom of speech...

We dont limit what people can say, outside basic rules of decency(no flaming/strings of curses), proper forum placement, and no Legal/contract violations(meaning: Non-disclosure contract violations--I get e-mails when Sony notices them & they arn't happy to see it)... There are no filters, we freely allow eqbeastlord links -- as long as it's not 'spam/advertisements,' while the COM site would love nothing more than to take back all our members here, and never let them come back to the ORG site by banning/redirecting all links to here...

Now, 3 weeks after the fact, if the filter were removed, it would change nothing.

Laba

Quote from: Vecsus
Quote from: Laba

Haha awesome BC i bet we never hear from him again

I'll take that bet.   :twisted:

Go ahead and take the bet and try to justify why you can post a link from Org to Com and not the other way around.
Laba Lamp
65 Beastlord
Legions of Darkness
Innoruuk Server

Xalmat

So you support people and organizations that make a living by ruining the integrity of the world's current-largest and current most popular MMORPG?

That's no different than saying Wal-Mart is the scourge of the earth, then going and buying your groceries from Wal-Mart. Target costs the same, so what's the difference, right?

Right... :roll:

/sarcasm off

[65 Arch Convoker] Sage Xalmat Lunaire (Human) <Enshadowed> ZONE: brellserilis
[65 Archon] Eiyana Lunaire (Gnome) <Enshadowed> ZONE: brellserilis
Lead Librarian/Moderator of The Magician's Tower

NoxCruor

Khillarri
Dark Beastlord Outcast of Shar Vahl
Sworn Protector of the Nox`Cruor Clan
~Hidden within the night, we follow our Prey.  Surrounded by the darkness we seek our retribution.  Over the centuries, you came for us and sought our destruction after learning the truth.  Now, we come for you and seek your death after centuries of torture.~  Orionus Nox`Cruor

Silanilu

Hmm....

The Rebel Beastlords

I kinda like the ring of that.  It might have even made a good tittle to this site.

Then again, it also sounds a little like a motorcycle gang with animal fetishes.  Ok, maybe that's not such a bright idea...

Back to your regularly  scheduled argument.
Silanilu
Feral Lord
Emerald Flame
The Seventh Hammer

All I need is a sandy beach to warm my scales, a palm tree for shade when I want it, and The Pooper Scooper of Doom to clean up after Dilia.

Layne

Vecsus, you didn't answer my questions.

QuoteQuote:
Yantis does not run the moderation on the .COM site. I'm a mod and I have never been told what to do. There was not pamphlet telling me how to preach the gospel of Yantis. I think people are creating drama where there is none.  

So you're saying Oaga and the Mods are NO LONGER deleting ALL links to this board?

Have the word filter operational to change all links to this board back to the other board?

Delete ALL posts asking for PM's with the address of this site?

Threating to ban people for posting links to this board?

Is that the non-Yantis moderation you mean?  :roll:  

The censorship by Oaga since he sold the board has been rediculous, anything negative in anyway to Yantis OR his business interests (i.e. site NOT owned by Yantis) is deleted.

And you say that board is being ran well!!!  :shock:

Are the censorship, threats and bannings still being ENFORCED on that board?

If not then you may have a point.

If so then how you can defend that sort of behaviour is beyond me never mind be PART of it.  :(

ShaitynAB

There is no division of the beastlord class.

There is one "official" beastlord forum.

You read this there.
Shaityn Stormweaver
65 Ogre Feral Lord
The Insane-Antonius Bayle
My Magelo
The Beastlords Den-Home of Everquest Beastlords

Ghoat

Just FYI Dios, there is only one new Mod at COM.  The others are Yik,  Sith, myself and Vescus - all folks you have known for a while.

As for links being changed, edited etc... I actually dont know if that has happened to anyone in a while - I know I have never edited anyone post with it.  I know I lot of ugliness was on present on both boards during the first few days :(

Ghoat! The Relentless - Cazic Thule Server           Fat Troll

Kinmax

Why dont you quit as a Mod at .COM, send a message to the new owners.
Kinmax McGuniess
65 Beastlord
Prexus Shard

mac173

Quote from: DiosTWe dont limit what people can say, outside basic rules of decency

Quote from: Kashmiir BattlekatIf you stay here thats fine. Have an opinion thats fine, but if you are here to drum up trouble you are barking up the wrong tree son. So I advise you to keep your tone with me or you can leave.

I offered my view on what I wanted to do and why I wanted to do it. Perhaps you should READ MY POST. Im sorry, but you are here on MY dollar. Every "hit" is MY DOLLAR. Thus if I wished to make people who come here and REGISTRER on MY DOLLAR I most certainly will.

But I on the otherhand have enough RESPECT for my subscribers and offered THEM the opprotunity to offer me there opinions which they did and I "bowed" to there wisdom.

Now kindly end your attitude here Vecsus or Ill give you the boot and not think twice about it.

and lastly... You are in MY house. Dont forget that,

/end

It seems that things have changed.

This is the post that Kash was relying to:

Quote from: Vecsuscompulsory registration just to view posts is far too Orwellian if you ask me. What does it matter if people just want to read? Is it your place to make the determination that only a registered user is of benefit to the community? When someone reads a post and learns something they are then a slightly better Beastlord because of it. And isn't that the purpose of a forum like this? Or is your desire to force registration a way to buff up the number of registered users you have in order to better "compete" with the other forum?

Hardly a flame, and barely qualifys as criticism. So, we comform to the accpted opinion or else? I have seen FAR more derogatory, cynical, and downright snide remarks in both this, and the old forums. I have NEVER seen such a reply from an ADMIN. If the responce is to the PERSON, and not the ISSUE, then send a PM. If we start to ban someone because we don't like their opinion, we are no better than COM. In fact, we'ed be worse. I will be eternally gratefull to Kash for getting this site set up, and will support it in both my posts, and money. I cannot support censership. Kash was mad. Maybe I am putting too much into his reply. But it scares me.

Vecsus, I was one of those who left, not to return. I agree with both you and Ghoat that the splitting of the community was ultimatly not the best. I will not critisize anyone for using both sites, but I made my decision, and I am sticking to it. Untill COM allows links to other sites, and stops banning accounts based on someones opinion, I cannot trust the opinions that survive the cut. They are obviously the opinion of the ADMIN, not the community.

feralize

Quote from: VecsusThat is exactly the sort of attitude that is going to keep pulling the two groups apart.

Incorrect. It's naively making posts like your inital thread-starter that causes this.
[65 Feral Lord] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=750138" >Feralize (Iksar) 163aa : [65 Arcanist] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=758777" >Kikagoki (Froglok) 39aa : [62 Warlock] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=679674" >Bonekasta (Erudite) 29aa : [62 Warder] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=846383" >Traku (Human) 6aa : [56 Troubador] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=986526" >Twotonic (Vah Shir) 3aa : [51 Crusader] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=865632" >Ubinusan (Erudite) : [51 Brawler] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1045121" >Drolthar (Dwarf) : [44 Shaman] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=986554" >Jikkorak (Iksar) : [40 Druid] http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1045106" >Ceggan (Halfling)

Kashmiir Battlekat

mac173,
Nothing has changed I just do not appreciate people, especially Mods from another site, coming here and popping off in our community.

He is just here trying to drum up business for the old site by coming here and raising people hackles. Dont you see it? The old boards postings have gone down dramatically while ours has gone up dramatically. We are currently holding almost a 2:1 advanatge on postings over the 'old site' and they see it.

So let them come here and cry about division. We all know who will win in the end... The Beastlord Community will win in the end and this site will continue as the old one slowly dies off. It will likely be a long and agonizing end over there, but Yantis sees his 'bling-bling' walking out the door everyday and is growing a little concerned over his 'money well spent' being 'not so well spent'...

Hrann

I have to agree with mac173.  The "son" comment was particularly disturbing.  Oh well, everyone has a temper - I certainly can't throw stones.

On topic, what really frustrates and infuriates me is that there are people on the other board actively seeking this board, and unable to find it, because any responses to them getting censored out.  I went back to check what the responses to this post over there were like - there was maybe 5 responses, one of them was from someone looking for this board who had tried some combinations using .org and still couldn't get it.  None of the moderators or posters helped this person out (nor could they of course).

Kashmiir Battlekat

Quote from: HrannI have to agree with mac173.  The "son" comment was particularly disturbing.  Oh well, everyone has a temper - I certainly can't throw stones.

He had my hackles up what can I say? :)

I dont mind folks posting here about eqbeastlord.com or any other site for that matter as long as its relevent information, but he is just here drumming up more division and trying to 'gain back' the 'bling-bling' for them. I dont blame him for it, but Im not going to sit back and let him pull the wool over peoples eyes in our Community.

Never, ever forget that on http://www.eqbeastlord.com you are nothing more then feeding IGE/Yantis the money every time you go there. Now that they see the dust settling and beastlords.org is ahead of the game they are trying to 'drum up' business by causing a further 'division' here at this board and I will NOT have it.

Anyone may come here and post, be a part of our community as long as they play nice, but if you (meaning anyone) are just here to drum up business or cause strife amonst the ranks here then I will put my foot down (as I did).

There are 2 people behind this keyboard. There is your fellow Beastlord who is fun loving and carefree and there is the hardened military man who also happens to Admin/Mod/Own this site which I care for quite a bit. If you come in to my home and start flinging your crap around Im going to put my foot somewhere unpleasent :)

He has had his say. I leave his postings unedited for your viewing pleasure, but I do hope you know that this place is your home while the other place is a 'business' and with any 'business' they are out for 'profit'.

Peace and Good Fortune to everyone.

Ghoat

Quote from: KinmaxWhy dont you quit as a Mod at .COM, send a message to the new owners.

Kinmax, I don't see the need to do that.  I personally have no love for Yantis at all.  I don't have some huge sense of duty to Oaga either.  It's pretty simple really.  I agreed to become a mod there, to help (whatever that actually means) the community on the boards, and that stands.  If I had been asked to be a mod here, I'd have done that as well.  It really matters not to me if I am a mod on one board, both boards or neither board.  Frankly mods are somewhat overrated.  It's like officials at a ball game, they should be fairly invisible.  If they are playing a huge role in the outcome or flow, then something is very wrong with the game, or the community.  The less heavy handed an official or mod is , the better all are - that's just my opinion tho.

I have been a member of the "greater" beastlord community since about a month after the class was hatched, and I'll remain that way, as a mod, not as a mod, on whatever board, or where ever the "community" is - this is the third beastlord board I have been active on hehe.  My interest and/or loyalty is in the community, not who owns the sites or where they reside.  It's not to Kash, it's not to Oaga, and it's damn sure not to Yantis.

As to Yanis, I kinda see him like your local smut peddler or the guy who opens up a new package store in a small town.  Most everyone knows who he is and what he does.  He is tolerated because he provides a service or product that is otherwise unavailable.  And he provides a lighting rod for those who need something or someone to lash out against, or to rally people around. Some people will hate him and make a lot of noise that he is a black mark on a fine community.  Some of these very same people will be the same ones who use his services when they need them - in a very discreet way.

It kinda reminds of my sweet grandmother who keeps plenty of booze around the house, who will always have a beer or a mixed drink to offer me when I am in town. But when the ladies from the church come around, there is not a drop to be seen - God forbid if one of those ladies looked under the sink for a paper towel or looked in the outside fridge where the "extra food is"  But of course they would not dare, since they do the same thing.  

I have nothing against the people who hate COM because of Yantis.  I think some have pure motives for it.  I think a lot are posturing for the sake of posturing, and that's fine too, to each thier own - I think attacking people who are still active there is silly, but I also know a lot of strongest "anit-COM's" still "lurk" there - like that bottle of Jack Daniels under my grandmother's sink.

And since I am really wasting my bosses time and money, lemme bring this up.  The visceral hate for Yantis is supposedly based on one or two things.  "Bad for the game" or wanton disregard for the EULA.  Lets look at the 2nd.  If you are in a major bigtime guild, guess what?  Your guild has a Yantis stain, to some degree or another.  Your guild has  prolly sold off  excess plat for cash to pay for guild account upkeep (monthly) the guild has accquired, has bought toons from members who quit, sold those toons, or bought other toons to have for the guild as needed.  Someone in your guild is playing a toon they bought, or playing a toon after selling one.  I am sure no bigtime guild is really proud of that, but it's a reality of this game today, and every guild has thier little secrets that really don't need full public disclousre.

Ever logged on a buddies account for buffs? Ever logged a buddy in for his rez/TL at some late hour when he had to camp, or had them do it for you?  Ever been doing a LDoN and someone logged on a toon to buff something?  Did you use EQW before it was deemed "ok"? Ever logged someone on for a flag, or had someone log you on for a flag?  With the pita of PoP flagging, I would imagine that most guild keep a list of player info, or certain people give thier info to certain people etc... all 100% against what is clearly stated in EULA.

Is being a major plat broker/account trader ok? Well, no, and well...maybe at certain times under certain conditions there is a need for that, and it's, well sorta kinda, not such a horrible thing, because it was not out of greed, but out of a need, or something that just, kinda had, or needed to be sorta kinda done - just this once, due to the fact that um...

Is loggin in a buddy to get him out of some god-forsaken place such a bad thing when a RL issue comes up and he/she HAS to camp? How does that compare to what Yanis does for a living?  I mean you really cannot compare those two situation.  But if you live in Black and White, and hold the EULA as gospel, then you can.  Breaking the EULA is breaking the EULA - if it is for profit, benefit of your group/guild or helping a friend in need.  Doing 70 in a 55 is doing 70 in a 55, no matter if you are speeding to get to a buddies party, or know your ass is getting fired if you are late for work just one more time.

There is not much that is really black and white.  And no, I am NOT a pessimist, and I don't think the world or this gamed is doomed to anarchy.  But I can tell you this, if the EULA was enforced to it's full extent, I think every single person I know would be banned - from account sharing if nothing else.  I would be willing to bet all of the plat that Yantis can get his hands on that there is not ONE SINGLE person reading this that has not benefitted from the breaking of the EULA - even if it was just that someone in your group logged on a friend druid for 9, or enchanter for C5.

Lastly, why don't I quit to send a message? I made an account here ASAP, and have been active here.  I was waiting for Yantis to post in the mod forum, or to get some new edict saying this is now what I had to do & how I had to moderate, then I was gone.  I has yet to happen.  Never seen a post, and I have been told to do nothing different than before - that I can assure you.  Do you think Yantis even knows, or cares who Ghoat is? Think he would give a crap if I quit - or even know?  Who the hell am I to "send a message" to ANYONE involved in this silly game.  I am a faceless person that is personified by a stupid looking cat who is dressed in green and red.  Some numbskull in Alabama, who had his wifed pissed off this weekend because he forgot to pay her cellbill this weekend, and had to sweettalk to avoid the $25 reconnection fee.  What kinda of message can this person send to some other faceless entity? Why would he care?  Frankly if you have read this whole post, why?  I am like you - someone who wastes WAY to much time playing a stupid game for fun - no better, no worse.  Because I have more hps that you, less aa that you, a higher or lower post count that you does not make a fatrat's ass when any of us sit down at the dinner table, and I don't really see why it does here.  Wife, kids, job, guild - I have PLENTY of drama as it is.

I see no reason to make more for myself on a pair of class boards, so I'll just hang around both of em, and if I can be of some help to someone on either, then I guess I have done something ok.  /

The massive amounts of testosterone generated between these factions of former friends would be enuff to knock up 1/2 of Asia.  So pointless.

Ghoat! The Relentless - Cazic Thule Server           Fat Troll