Main Menu

Levels vs AA and FAQs

Started by Caali, January 05, 2004, 04:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxawesome

I was laughed at when I advocated staying at level 55 for a long time to grind out aa's.

I was laughed at when I advocated staying at level 65/66 for a long time to grind out more aa's.

Now that the new expansion is out and has common drops with anguish-level stats, and are usable by 65, I wonder if anyone is laughing now?

I can do 5 or 6 aa's per lesson in HoH killing DB's. Can anyone who is 80 do the same?

For non-raiders, what is the point of going to 80 unless you have 1000+ aa's? I just don't see it. The game screetches to a halt for soloing casual players at 71/72.

JillieMT

Quote from: maxawesome on December 03, 2007, 07:47:04 PM
I was laughed at when I advocated staying at level 55 for a long time to grind out aa's.

I was laughed at when I advocated staying at level 65/66 for a long time to grind out more aa's.

Now that the new expansion is out and has common drops with anguish-level stats, and are usable by 65, I wonder if anyone is laughing now?

I can do 5 or 6 aa's per lesson in HoH killing DB's. Can anyone who is 80 do the same?

For non-raiders, what is the point of going to 80 unless you have 1000+ aa's? I just don't see it. The game screetches to a halt for soloing casual players at 71/72.

EXACTLY!!!

As a non-raider, I stopped at several points to rack up certain specific AA's. And now, as a primarily solo player, I am staying at 70 to round them out.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

maxawesome

Jillie, I would recommend you to ding 71, and get your 5 points in double attack, and then de-level back to 70.

JillieMT

Hmm, I hadn't considered that... thanks for the tip!  :-)
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Squirrely

From reading the above and my  exp in the past with my rogue. I think as a upcoming Beastlord on Luclin - you have to focus on aa's vs lvling . At least it allows you to continue the game solo if not able to be in a upper raiding guild.  As a casual player this is the only option to continue to have fun . Plus it is easier to get them now vs. lvling and playing only with a set of regular peeps

Vidyne

I can pull 4aa usually in Ruins of Illisan, but they are quite mean and a 3 pull will kill me.  Once I get Crystallos gear in more abundance that may change.   

Replying to max that is.

But I agree with you, soloing has become harder and harder, and has focused more on the pet tanking since he is a warrior class, and our avoidance is shot for the most part in SoF.  The heals are better for the pet and our paltry heal is quite weak. 

notanother

i decided to go with the aa before levels idea, and i stopped at 65 and have around 230, my gear sucks, as i still have some of the gear i got when i was in my 40s, but i havent found a real good spot to farm plat.  so i had to stop in reality.  im getting really bored at the spot i have been at for the past month or so, and thought about leveling to 71, in part because i solo most of the time, and i know that with my gear i cant solo the mobs that would drop the runes i need for spells till the become lb, and even then they are sometimes a challenge, like the mobs in the roost.  but now looking at some of the aa i can get through the 60s im not sure if i shoulld get those at each level then move on to the next or just level. 

so heres the question, are the aa that you can get at those levels worth putting off until i get to 71, which i know at that level i can go to places that will have better loot and in return give me the plat i need for better gear, or stay the slow pace and get the aa so that its easier when i get to 71?  or should i go to 78 for that great pet and play cleric? 

on a side note, my real goal is to get to to a level to where i can make me a set of cultural armor.  and since the mobs that drop the req65 pelts are too tough for me now i need some levels on them, at least the rare drops on the lower level mobs that drop them,

Tiroon

Quote from: notanother on May 19, 2008, 08:29:20 PM
on a side note, my real goal is to get to to a level to where i can make me a set of cultural armor.  and since the mobs that drop the req65 pelts are too tough for me now i need some levels on them, at least the rare drops on the lower level mobs that drop them,

It may depend on the server, but I don't think that the superb animal pelts are a problem. They are in plentiful supply and cheap enough to not bother farming them. Now the slot 11 augs are in another league entirely when it comes to price and you'd need to complete the quest too to be able to make them.

When it comes to money, the best plat is still in tradeskill supplies. Do you have a bazaar trader up when not playing?
Tiroon Firefang
Vah Shir Savage Lord
Stromm

Ignorance killed the cat! Curiosity was framed.

notanother

ok so i guess i shouldnt have said anything about the whole goal of being able to one day make my own gear,  since i know that i can just buy the pelts, but then since i also said that i am poor, brings me back to the problem that im using aa to subsidise my lack of income/ plat. 

so here what are the most needed aa from 66-71, part b of the question should i stop and get those at the corresponding level or is it better to level to 71, which i picked that because of the triple attack and the feral swipe lvl2, to help with faster kills.  and also that is the next time i can buy vendor sold spells. 

im not here askin where to get plat or things like that just simply wanted to know what the best build would be to be able to accomplish my goal in the quickest time possible, personally i would rather go and get the items needed in tailoring then to buy them, im cheap and broke lol.  so i said what my goal was in hopes that one of you with the past expierence of fighting the mobs for the quests and then the pelts would be able to tell me what the best build for fighting those are.  truth be told if i was just goin to buy the pelts from the baz then i could probly just buy the gear too, ofcourse then i wouldnt come here and try to learn the bst class, cause i would have decent gear and be able to kill just about anything that i wanted with in reason and wouldnt need the aa either. 

but since the last time i posted i have leveled to 67, partly because i was in groups where i would have taken too much of an xp loss to aa, do to the fact that there was i higher level then myself in the group.  when i solo i have taken up aa again, and have found a few that were nice, like the one that gives increased crit dmg, and paragon lvl 2.  i guess ill take the slow steady road of gettin aa until i get bored and decide to level.  itll take longer to accomplish my goals but then once i do ill be even better with the aa behind me and more of an asset then another body in group,

Squirrely

Casual Players =more aa's than levels. I would have to agree,if you are a casual player work on aa's sooner than later. They are easier to get plus at lvl 66 -playing with higher lvls , I am getting approximately 8-10 aa points every 90min. Currently sitting at 76aa ,goal is to get to 100 and then get 1 more lvl and stop. Doing the defensive route. This helps if you are playing with uppers incase mob turns on you, allows for survivabiliy.

Furbiscuit

Just reading this again and thought since the game has changed so much I'd share my xp with levels vs aa (55 bst). Just came back not too long from a few years afk, and aa's are moving a ton faster now. Got 90 of them so far, and the increase in survivability and dps has been huge at this level. Didn't take too long to grind them out solo, and haven't regretted doing it at all. Plan on doing around 200 total before leveling again since light blue mobs right now are so insanely easy and fast to kill at about 10% aaxp per kill.

If at all possible I highly suggest getting at least your tanking, dps, and buff aa's done before 60, since gear level / cost aren't insanely high or hard to get for being an effective solo'er and will help alot later on due to mob scaling. Its better to be overpowered than to be underpowered, lol. And with mercs now, solo'ing white to yellow cons is definetly viable for even faster grinding.
Journeyman Artisan Furbiscuit Gnomeater
55 Beastlord
Bertox Server