Main Menu

New 2nd Account

Started by Maylian, September 01, 2009, 07:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maylian

So after being bored yesterday I decided to buy a new account so I can box on my laptop. Normally I have been boxing friends accounts which include, shaman, druid, 6.5k AC Paladin, warrior, wizard but decided to make my own box. Now I'm not entirely sold on what I want to box with.

The situation is that Maylian would be the tank, our guild doesn't allow alts to get loot so there is no way I can gear up a tank class to the stage that they would reliably out tank me or hold agro. That being said I have a baby SK (71) with 2.0 I could transfer to the new account but not sure if its worth it.

My thinking at the moment is to start a ranger to box as the tracking and HA will be useful and the dps can be quite decent and with 2 healer merc's should mean I can take out most targets. Anyone else got suggestions?

Zunar

I duo with a mage alot of times...and I really like that combo personally...else I think bard, monk or perhaps a necro works nicely too.

Karve

I duo a mage, and do like the combo but recently started a shammy for a better edge on slow/heal etc and switched to cleric/tank mercs instead of clr/clr . Early indications are this is a better combo for taking out named T5 mobs but the shammy AA's required are holding the potential back somewhat.

Professional Mad Bastard.

Khauruk

I would look hard at bard, mage, enc.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

wildwaters

Quote from: Khauruk on September 01, 2009, 01:26:41 PM
I would look hard at bard, mage, enc.

Anything that adds CC (either through singles or mezzes) and dps imo allthough I did a shit load with my mage friend.

TBH, an sk with well spent aa's in the 1000 range should be able to out aggro you and, with top group gear and all ac augs, should be able to tank respectably. With underfoots new armor upgrades I'd look at it.

What I did with my Sk was I used him as puller until he hit the 4k plus ac range (yeah you can get over that group geared now) and all defensives and innate healing maxed. With certain abilities the sk has (PM me or khauruk for details im sure) you shouldn't have any issue splitting things to tank on beast.

I'm not sure how well both classes will do in underfoot but if you have a well aa'd and decently raid geared beastlord main and can get you sk maxed for group gear and a bunch of aa's then you have some serious power.

Khauruk

Mine's only 78 still (though over 3.5kAC unbuffed already with lots of defiant augs), and yeah, he's pretty much a puller bot right now.  Once he's wearing the SoD pieces I have banked for him, w/ all his req. lvl80 augs I have grabbed, he'll start tanking some.

It'll be a pretty powerful combo, and work well.  But, appropriate class choice depends on what you really expect to do with him.  I wanted pulling, some dps, and moveability (through flopping places).  I'd love CC, but I went w/ pulling over that.

If you're just planning on doing xp grinding rather than questing w/ the box, wizard may be tops.  Mage would give you much of that dps w/ some ghetto-pulls (through CoH).

Trophy mobs - maybe druid or sham (though you lose pulls with each, but gain debuffs/heals w/ some dps potential).

etc
etc
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Hzath

I recommend bard with 2 cleric mercs.
Beastlord Community Round Table representative.  Feel free to PM me or contact me in game (Drinal.Hzathz) about anything you think needs attention.

Sharrien

I box a mage and can do a helluva lot of content with just beast/mage and cleric mercs.  A box mage gives you CoH splitting (sometimes tedious but very effective), respectable DPS and a pet that can stand up to tier 5 named in SoD.  Plus, it's not nearly as hard to gear up a mage compared to a tank or melee class. 

This combo however lacks any transport or CC other than offtanking.  The hardest content for me to handle with this duo has been "ambush" type mechanics that spawn multiple mobs on top of you.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre

nedoirah

Personally I used to 3-box a bst with cleric and mage but that was before the intro of mercs. Right now I've been levelling a shaman. KInd of cause I got a very nice shaman spell drop (Talisman of Unity rk II) with some friends. But shaman have some nice utility to fit with bsts. I've also been playing with a druid mostly for ports but maybe more once I learn more about druids.

No reason to stick with just 1 alt ;)

jitathab

Not boxed, but I duoed with a shaman a lot and we could accomplish a great many things, as your well geared, you dont need a tank class so much. CC and easy pulling is probably more useful.

AbyssalMage

Would say SK, Mage, or Druid in that order.  I group geared SK will allow you to Outtank a Tier 5 Merc and will have better innate mitigation than a BST allowing you to handle the high damage spikes of higher end mobs.  This will cause you to lose DPS in either the SK (agro) or BST (can't spam kick, swipe, and nukes) so not optimal.  The Mage and Druid allow you to be more flexable, with both classes complimenting you nicely.  Druid's have an Attack Debuff that stacks with slow.  Mage gets you Malo so you can land your slow even more reliably and a off tank in the pet.  Both are better choices than a Shaman.
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Mazame

Sk = solo pulls / Tanking
Mage = pet tanking / more ds / Coh pulling ( can be costly ) / Pet toys
Bard = Solo pulls / songs  / don't need to spend much time so can focus on bst.
Ranger = HA ( once 85) / HS for fast aa grinding / Tracking / Can tank some things
Enc. = Solo pulling / CC / Mana regen / Xp aura ( and other auras )
Druid = Nukes / Ports / tracking / heals  ( could run tank merc )
Wizard = Bad idea ( nukes steal aggro with crit / twin cast and bst has no taunt ) / ports
SHammy = better buffs / heals / run tank merc.
Monk = FD pulling / DPS  / Hard to play 2 melee and keep them next to the mob and hit all your discs so you suffer on one or the other.

I have boxed all of the above with my bst.  #1 pick I go with mostly is the Chanter because doing task / quest like was said above spawn more then one it get messy with out CC. With the chanter I can run Auras and make my nukes better  get a little extra XP and when I want more DPS I can charm stuff. with 2 cleric mercs  you can tank most anything. and with chanter debuffs it simple  to take on most named and have mercs heal ypu/ with T5 named some times I will use the chanter aa pets  that taunt the mob the bit of time they pull the mob away give a extra few sec for the merc to heal.

Volo

For what it's worth, I was boxing a shaman for a while and absolutely loved the synergy. Talismans are amazing "set and forget" DPS increases; most of the time my needs were met with just a "send pet, slow target, hot bst, hit talisman" macro. I'd imagine with the new merc system you could handle some pretty significantly challenging group stuff running bst/shm/war merc/clr merc.

Nusa

I've seen WAR/BST with two cleric mercs work well. However, in that case the WAR was the main, experienced well-geared raid tank with lots of AA. Weak on pulling tools, but able to handle more mobs than a merc tank could.

bobokatt1970

Might want to consider a necro really.  Adds massive DPS when you are tanking... or can kite mobs that you cannot (the non summoning ones of course) while your pet and spells add dps to his.  I have used my necro to get the vast majority of my aa's when I was not grouping and have used him to help me in progression which i would never have been able to do solo.  With guild portal I honestly don't miss a porting class.  With healer mercs I don't much need any more healing or buffing for that matter and they are easier to gear up etc.