Main Menu

Flash of Light

Started by Trark1, January 01, 2004, 06:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trark1

Flash of light has 3 main spell uses, its a level 9 spell and has a very fast casting time downside is its a div spell, before I describe the uses, you should never ever ever use this spell in a dungeon, raid or LDON group.

1.Taunter- explains itself basically it casts fast and takes little to no mana.

2.Weird Fear Spell- Flash of light is similar to fear, what happens is you cast FoL on soandso, now soandso will keep atatcking you unless you get out of melee range, so its more of a add disrupter and an desperate spell to get out of there.

3. Debuffer- Many people don't know this but flash of light, actually lowers the mobs atk and ac by 5.

Fun Part-  If your in low level dueling, FoL helps tons, since they are low level and probably don't have magic resists and if you cast FoL on them what happens is their screen turns black because its a blind now while their screen is black you can beat the sheit out of them.

Important: Because of a recent patch FoL now has a 75/25 chance of blinding the mob and making it run away. The other 25 is Flash of Light just taunting it, so when hunting always do a test to see if that zone is ghetto fear compatible
54 Beastlord of Fennin Ro

"It needs but one foe to breed a war, and those who have not swords can still die upon them"
J.R.R. Tolkien

Zikayn

I only use it to make sure my divination is capped per lvl so that when I get the more useful divination spells (invis) I don't have to worry about it fizzling all the time. :P

Laba

I would just like to add that about half a year ago blinded mobs would run along the same predictable path every single time. However, this was changed in a patch a long while back. When blinded now mobs will run in a random direction, and lots of times will run straight to they're friends. Since we have no innate way of snaring this can be a big problem. I used to ghetto fear kite worms in PoV while waiting for groups but since the change i haven't been able to.
Laba Lamp
65 Beastlord
Legions of Darkness
Innoruuk Server

Kryq

FoL lost it's place in my lineup shortly after the change, and never really found it's way back in.  

It does generate a ton of aggro used as a taunt, but IMO it isn't worth the risk of having the mob run off to and bringing 20 of its friends back after the chanter overnukes, or the healer catches a few and gets low health aggro.

I'm not a big fan of aggro kiting (Although in a PoFire kite group, I had a lot of fun "fearing" red con mobs from the castle - and teasing the necro like crazy at the same time :P)  Generally, if I can't take it except by kiting, I find some place where the mobs aren't quite so tough.  So FoL isn't any good as a kite aid either.

Anyone on a red server will laugh at you for using FoL in PvP, but on the blue servers you can occationally get it to land.

I used it on a monk that was annoying me by running out to hit me while I was occupied killing someone else, then running back out of the arena when I focused on him.  I flashed him just as he was turning to escape again, and he misjudged where the exit was....he ran into the corner about an inch from the arena exit while Traincaller and I beat on him down between chain casts of FoL :)

-Kryq

Valri Rose

!!

Kryq's always beating on people!

/nurses her wounds

Someday perhaps, someday =)

DontPetBear

Just used this spell to great effect last night in Eastern Wastes.

Guild was mostly in Velks and i wanted to work on the Coldain Ring Quest, so.. I decided to try and solo Ghrek Squatnot and his 3 giant buddies.  My pet lasted about 10 secs, and I only got two slowed before they came after me.

I started running, and running lol, then decided to mem in FoL.  I slowly picked off the Frost Giants till Ghrek was in the lead.  Then i just ran in a straight line till the frosts lost agro and ran away.  I then stopped and casted a new pet.  It was tough, but finally killed Ghrek and looted the Elixer.

This spell has also saved me in PoD, fearing two rats on a bad pull long enough to camp out.

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=783301
Dgam - 70 - Beastlord

Thrashum Gud

You would think your first spell rank would be really easy to find but nope. It seems FoL is one of those that you can only get in a few places. Thanks to an experiment to see how well a truly interactive city in EQ might work we now have a very simple way to obtain that spell.

Make yourself a Froglock Shaman, do the n00b quest and find the banker to get your free 5 gp. Now use the nifty find feature to locate your spell vendors. you'll run a short ways and then start up a hill, your vendors are spread out along this path. The first one on the right sells your FOL.

Put the spell in the shared bank, delete the nasty frog, log in your beastie and presto. Your free FoL with no muss and no fuss.