Main Menu

Good or bad time to come back

Started by Iksanbon, January 25, 2010, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iksanbon

Hey all,
Just trying to get a feel for how beasties are doing these days.  I just got back into the game after a year or two off.  My Beast is 74 with around 300 aa, 2.0 and shyra weapon.  Not uber by any standards today.  I have a couple other classes including a 76 mage, 71 sk, and 76 shaman that I could play instead.  My time is more limited so I want to just pick one char and focus on that. 

How are beastlords doing in the solo/casual/grouping scene?  It seems like the boards are semi slow but still a few active topics here and there.  Should I come back to my beast or pick up another class in my arsenal?

I have a cleric merc, can I solo my way around with a merc? 

Can I get a group if I want, or do people overlook beasts and grab other classes for slow/dps?  Do people even care about slow?

I loved my shaman when i had a monk friend to play with, but he is retired and not coming back.  I did hate that everywhere I went someone had their box shaman so i wouldnt be needed really.  The mage was fun but sometimes you feel like smacking some stuff up close and personal.  Sk was fun but way behind any sort of power curve to tank anything worth anything. 

What say you, is the beastlord a dead class or still worth running around Norrath as? Gimme your $.02 !

Catnip_Inny

still worthwhile, imo we could have seen some bigger upgrades recently but still a good class, our dps isnt bad with the right gear and AA, and i get asked to be slower for groups often!  With a merc u could solo in the hotzones easy enough id say.

Gutterr

Soloing will be slow with any class, but mercs will make it easier.  Weapon wise, you may be able to get better in the bazaar.  I can't speak to pickup groups, but slowers are sought after in current content.  It really comes down to what you want to do.  If you just want to screw around and group, a beast could be fun.  With the right AAs you can do quite a bit on your own if you shy away from groups.  If you decide to raid, beast DPS is middling at best until you get quite a few AAs and some decent weapons.  This was offset somewhat by new spells in UF, but melee DPS is still important and you won't parse like you might want to right off with a beast.

As to your other choices of toons:
1) I have to agree that shamans in groups are declining.  There are mercs now, and too many shm bots.  Unless you are a standout (or a guildie) you may have problems getting groups.   
2) Mages I am not a fan of, but they are powerful.  I hate the fact that spell cast timers are so long, but I am sure this is due to my being used to beast spell cast times.
3) SK is a solid choice.  Their DPS isn't great, but it has been improved significantly lately.  Of course much of this is AA driven, so you won't see a huge boost right off.  The one issue I see you having with returning as an SK is that you might be expected to tank and your lvl/AA count might limit your tanking options.  I have found that as a beast I have had to convince folks that I can tank content, you won't have this option as an SK.

I like my beast.  I am pretty happy with the split between utility/DPS/tanking durability.  Don't read too much into the rants on this board and decide against a beastlord.  I believe we are a relatively balanced class that can appeal to the casual player and to a more hardcore raider, whichever you see yourself as being.

AbyssalMage

Quote from: Iksanbon on January 25, 2010, 05:17:12 PM
Hey all,
Just trying to get a feel for how beasties are doing these days.  I just got back into the game after a year or two off.  My Beast is 74 with around 300 aa, 2.0 and shyra weapon.  Not uber by any standards today.  I have a couple other classes including a 76 mage, 71 sk, and 76 shaman that I could play instead.  My time is more limited so I want to just pick one char and focus on that.

AA's are going to be a greater disadvantage to you than anyting else.  Gear will come with how munch effort you put into it.  Not sure how Shaman faired with Underfoot but Mage and SK are very effective in todays EQ.  If you like beating on things, focus on BST or SK.  But BST and Mage solo better...

How are beastlords doing in the solo/casual/grouping scene?  It seems like the boards are semi slow but still a few active topics here and there.  Should I come back to my beast or pick up another class in my arsenal?
81+ everyone suffers in the solo department.  They have inflated NPC HP's horrendously while keeping zone xp modifiers very low.  Everyone suffers equally (with a few exceptions to Necro's and Rangers) that its a non-issue.  So wouldn't base a decsion on this at all.  Group and Casual we easily find a spot due to slow and DPS.

I have a cleric merc, can I solo my way around with a merc? 
With gear and defensive AA's...yup.

Can I get a group if I want, or do people overlook beasts and grab other classes for slow/dps?  Do people even care about slow?
If they already have a slower you may get overlooked but generally speaking, if your known, you'll get snagged up.

I loved my shaman when i had a monk friend to play with, but he is retired and not coming back.  I did hate that everywhere I went someone had their box shaman so i wouldnt be needed really.  The mage was fun but sometimes you feel like smacking some stuff up close and personal.  Sk was fun but way behind any sort of power curve to tank anything worth anything. 
Play what you like the most.  Honestly that will keep you playing longer than what people think is "best" and your more likely to play you character better if you enjoy him.  If your looking to smack something around though I would say BST / SK as they are both up close and personal every encounter solo or group.  If your looking for something you can do 100% of the time I would say BST / Mage like I stated above.

What say you, is the beastlord a dead class or still worth running around Norrath as? Gimme your $.02 !
We are far from dead although the Developers seem to be trying to put us on life support.  We have some great support during Beta's from people on these boards and most recently (last 2 expansions) we've finally gotten love from the mage community.  Not sure if the love (by the mages) is because its so obviouse how bad the developers keep trying to screw us during beta or they relize the EQ community is so small that they can't afford to horde all the "pet skills."  Either way we have gotten some pretty nice abilities post-beta thanks to both groups of people.
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Sharrien

I still throroughly enjoy playing beast as my main.  I mostly duo with my mage and a couple mercs, but if I'm joining a full group, just playing the beast is still fun.  I would hang out in the 76-80 range for a while and rack up some AA moloing with a cleric merc.  Should go fast, especially since you get bonus AA xp until you get like 1000 AA.

Mage can actually take on tougher named by himself and can be fun too, but if you prefer getting in a mob's face to show him who's boss, mage may not be your thing.

Gear for any class should be relatively cheap, just look for defiant in the bazaar.  Could also do the animals in field of scale (SoD expansion) since they are weak mobs and keep an ear open for rots in /ooc.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre

Azire

EQ these days involves a lot of lfg so playing a class you can solo or molo(merc+you) while no groups will make for a better experience. I do not have trouble soloing and have not since I made the beast 2 years ago. You have to pick zones where the xp is decent but mobs are not too tuff. Any class you pick will be tuff to play until you get levels, AAs, and gear. SK would be the best choice IMO but that would also be the most demanding as far as getting those AAs and gear. Just remember that its a game and you are doing it for entertainment and don't get caught up in the "I have to get AA # today or that certain piece or gear" mode that most do. All classes have their strengths and its a matter of what you like best but I do feel now is a good time to play EQ. There is some really good gear to be had at the group levels and AAs up to a 1k is real easy to get. At 74/300, go to the Murk caves in WoS(with the pet snare AA) and do some AAing there. I thoroughly enjoyed soloing there at that level.

Grbage

Some hints for whatever class you decide to play:

-Do a /claim after logging on. Can't remember the name but you'll have something 999 of them to claim (can actually only do once per toon), this will give you some free defiant gear.
-There's an NPC outside the Lobby, talk to him to find out where the hotzones currently are and get an easy quest for a few non visible slots. If your current hotzone is a bit to hard then step back one hotzone.
-NPC merchants have been added to PoK that sell non-visible defiant gear also if you cant find better in the bazaar.
-Port to Dragonscale hills from GH (can form your own now with just one toon if you want). This port lands you next to a guy that gives out daily quests that are fairly easy. Some are soloable and some need a group depending on your gear. With the rewards you can buy gear off of him, go for the pet focus asap if playing bst/mage.
-AA's are easier to get the lower your level due to aa changes. Otherwise, even con mob to you gives the exact same xp no matter what the mobs level. Lower level mobs die much much faster then higher level ones so get those aa's early.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

nedoirah

Quote from: Grbage on January 26, 2010, 05:46:28 PM
Some hints for whatever class you decide to play:

-Do a /claim after logging on. Can't remember the name but you'll have something 999 of them to claim (can actually only do once per toon), this will give you some free defiant gear.

Not only that but you get 5 or 10 free exp potions with that. Gift of legacies lost. That's what it's called.

Shieara

Sorry for the bump, but I figure asking here is better then making my own post.

I also have recently returned (as of last night), and am wondering a few things.  I've been off for a year or so, and am well behind on levels and aa.  Right now, my beastlord is sitting at level 80 with about 850 aa.  I also have access to a boxed cleric with like 450 aa.  I am wondering about the age-old question of level vs. aa.  Right now I am not sure I will get into raiding at all.  I may do some group content, but I am more looking at solo.  I ran around last night with my two + a cleric and tank merc and we were doing fairly well slaughtering light blues in Direwind.  I know it's not a hotzone, but I wanted an easy zone that I remembered to try to relearn how to play.

I did purchase all the expansions, but from what I am reading the newer mobs have a lot more hps and are not solo friendly.  With a mostly solo playstyle, would you recommend going ahead and working on aa, at least until I am defensively maxed for the level, or should I go ahead and burn to 85?  I remember before I quit trying some of the mobs in, uhh, Oceangreen I think, and they kicked my tail.  I don't want a repeat of that if I can help it.

Sharrien

If you are intending to tank for your duo, then yeah, work some AA.  I have almost 2600 now and still feel like there is a ton I want to buy.

There are weak con mobs in Oceangreen and FoS that you could be hunting to get started on faction tasks.  Undead in OG or the iskar in FoS might be too tough at lvl 80, but most of the animals should be easy.  Or (if you haven't already) you could work Brownie Rebels faction for Rank 2 Howl at the Moon killing minotaurs and doing the daily tasks in Dragonscale.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre

Bumkus

For raw AAXP, RSS should be pretty good.  You might need a merc at level 80, but I remember 83 being a sweet spot for burning Lesson solo in RSS with no merc.

Grbage

IMO AA>lvl right now due to how aaxp works.

Once you are 85 don't totally disregard UF, it's boring but the boomer game in brells rest is quite easy to learn and you can purchase great gear for yourself from rewards.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Sikkem

Quote from: Grbage on January 28, 2010, 11:39:09 PM
IMO AA>lvl right now due to how aaxp works.

Once you are 85 don't totally disregard UF, it's boring but the boomer game in brells rest is quite easy to learn and you can purchase great gear for yourself from rewards.

Better yet do it at 80, the increase to dps, hp, mana and some handy clickies/focuses will hellp you get to 85 better and the gear is most likely a very large upgrade for you.

Sikkem - 90 Beastlord - Bertox

wildwaters

Iksanbon

I sucked it up and boxed them while a friend had a spare account active, had to upgrade my old secondary acct, but it was easy to make sure I always got first place.  Now i have a sack full of 800 hp gear, and sitting at lvl 74, almost 75.  Working on my hand aug quest, and getting xp in the buried sea while it is a hot zone.  I was originally going to stay around 74 and grind up towards 1000 aa, but now with my sack full of gear I want to get 80 and use it.  I also grabbed a rotting ear from PG that had EM IV pet focus but requires lvl 83 to use.  So now I have to decide if I should stop at 80 for more aa, or 83, or just finish it up at hit 85 then start to aa again.  Damn you sack full of upgrades, damn you!

Oh and the beast/cleric merc combo is pretty nice so far.  I have never liked to box much as it seems to make it more work then fun always switching around tabbing to other accts etc.  So the ability to focus on tanking/dpsing and managing my pet while the merc sits back and keeps me alive has been real nice.  I need to find someone doing SoD progression and get access to a higher tier merc now I think.

Loving the beasty again, but my altitis is still on the backburner and I sometimes stare at my sk longingly on the login screen haha.  There is just something about innate lifetap procs up the ying yang, and giant 2 handers whacking for big hits, all while wearing delicious plate ac that draws me to him.  I don't have time for the aa grind on 1 char let alone 2, so I am sticking to focusing on my bst, for now...