Main Menu

Best burn as a BST box?

Started by Spirited, February 05, 2010, 06:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirited

So, my latest project was to make a BST box.  I have him fully SoD group geared through T5, all SoD spells/discs and all UF spells
except Haergen's.  Only 500 AA's at this point but I want to get him to a point where he is a good dps option.

Typically what I use in a burn situation are yowl at the moon, followed by AA pets, followed by SoD robe click, then either spirit frenzy or bestial fury disc, and then feral swipe, foray and bite of the asp (which is maxxed at lvl 2).  I then have a hotkey for doing a few nukes and dots. I try to get in another round of feral swipe and foray before the AA or disc end.  This is alot to hit with just using the separate hotkeys. I try to use growl of the jaguar and savage ferocity when able, but targeting the pet is a real pain so I don't use it nearly as much a main BST would.  I am lazy-ish and tend to only use pact of the wurine in indoor zones.

Am I way off in what I am using for burns?  Any AA's that I should be using or stacking differently? Or spells not mentioned above that are huge to dps?  Basically what is your favorite combo / sequence of things to hit for max burn these days?  I am having to stay on the BST way too much with all they have to hit and how quickly everything resets, please help and thank you!

rhaug

for box dps
get a easier burn class.....

bst can burn but need a high lvl of attending

would recommend a mage or wiz for burn

Mazame

if you looking for DPS I agree that bst are not the right class. if your a full time bst you can hit 4-11k on burn with group gear you going to see more of the 2-6k range. if your boxing your  going to be in the 1-3k range most of the time. also boxing melee you want the melee to be the main and a caster to be the box. with push ( pets love to push ) and other thing  with a melee you have to keep moving around. also most melee are not one key = max dps class your going to always be having to hit one thing or another to keep your dps inc and so as a box  a lot is lost.

you also didn't say what your main class was.  but with anything what your trying to max our depends a lot on what classes your playing  example  Monk / chanter = bad idea .. they are both good classes but the monk can get thing solo and so the enchater dosn't have a lot to offer other then haste.

For DPS I would sujest the following 3 ..

#1 Necro .. you can FD / single pull .. you can make a hot jkey to put 8-9 dot and then FD and not worrie about aggro

#2 would be mage you can put pet in and then focus on your main then for the burn you can hot key a few nukes to go off. also CoH for pulling can be used

#3 would be wizard . build aggro with your main then hot key some nukes and tab over hit the hot key tab back  .. also ports for travling and evac for the bad pull

All 3 are low maintance for boxing and can put out nice dps with out having to have raid gear that melees do.

if you  did bst for the slow. switch to a shammy better buffs and slow and you could do the same as the necro and load  up dots and use that to add DPS  shammy dots are not bad and  vs a box bst you will get the same dps if not better

Spirited

Thanks for the replies!  I have 3 hotkeys set up now. They do what took 14 clicks before. I will check the AA section out for
absolute must haves, I think that is the biggest thing (besides the need for near constant mashing) that is holding back dps
at this point.  If you have any suggestions for best disc & AA stacking, feel free to reply!

Karve

I think when you start getting bigger DPS you will be eaten alive without any defensive aa's on your beast. What sis teh main, cos if it can't hold aggro (and bsts generate alot of that) you will see some squishing.

Professional Mad Bastard.

nedoirah

I agree with the agro bit. I used to steal a LOT of agro (still do) and died a lot when I didnt have my defensives up. (don't die as much) If you have a solid agro management with your main then yeah bsts could help a lot but very few classes can really hold agro against us.

BTW what is your main?

Spirited

Paladin main who is used to fending off a shammy box w/ 7 dots for aggro so grabbing aggro isn't a major concern, at least yet!

wildwaters

I don't find beast that bad of a box to burn with. You just have to treat them differently than other classes.

You'll do the lower end of your dps (and very low compared to other classes) boxing on trash mobs and when you want to burn you have to approach it differently.

What I do if I box my beast and want to burn is I put out alot of aggro on the tank initially and auto attack /cast swarm pet until im sure its locked down then I switch roles and treat the beast as if I were playing him and boxing the tank.

In other words I focus all of my attention on and do a full burn on beast - nukes, dots, swarm pets discs and dps hotkeys as well as spam roar - and just switch to the tank while beast is casting to toss aggro spells.

Works pretty well.

One thing is that the beast will never approach the ease and numbers of a spellcaster box. Also the beast will need a heck of alot more work. You aren't going to be seeing any decent numbers until hes fully geared and like 2000 well spent aa.

TBH, even though I have a beast that was my old main to box with my sk I dont really use him anymore except to buff ;/

I've been leveling  a necro simply because I can do reasonable dps with less than  1000 aa and three hotkeys. Plus I like being able to flop anywhere I want to go. The necro (or any other caster dps really) is simply that much easier to box. Three hotkeys and you can put out a couple of thousand dps on a longer fight and you can be casting and maintaining aggro while the box cycles through his spells. 

/shrug pretty much what everyone else has said.

nedoirah

Paladin main? Ummm I steal agro from pallies more than any other tank class. Shamans don't cause that much agro with 7 dots. Bsts cause far more with melee, spell and proc damage. 7 dots only cause damage every 6 seconds and it is done as a massive spurt of damage which if timed right can be overcome by pally stuns. With a bst, our dps is constant but worse than that our frozen venom and poison nukes are both massive agro generators.

Martosh

if you grab aggro from a pally well..... he dosn't know how to play is class :P

Khauruk

Quote from: Martosh on February 12, 2010, 02:46:20 AM
if you grab aggro from a pally well..... he dosn't know how to play is class :P

That describes most paladins.
TURNCOAT!!!!!