Main Menu

Question about weapons

Started by Kalnais, February 16, 2010, 08:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalnais

Two questions regarding weapons.  I have been reading and understand the basic premise that ratio is king.  From there some details and balancing I'm not sure of.

Background:  Kalnais 80th level Beastlord (Povar)  Casual group player. Just now starting to work on really getting aa's (abt 200 so far)  Working on Void progression (currently just Void B) and T3 essences.  Do not yet own UF... so need to wait on the evolving beasty weapon.

1) I have Bertox Crook (27/18) and Wolfclaws(29/18) and a 4dmg aug.  Does it make more sense to aug the claws and make the better weapon higher, or aug the Crook and balance the two weapons more?

2) I also have Monstrous Mace (90/36 base with +6 Fire).  It obviously has the best ratio.  What is the general wisdom of a 2H vs 2 weapons?

Thanks for any help,

Kalnais

Nusa

1) Ratio may be king, but if they're close, look at secondary factors. In this case the proc is superior on the Wolfclaws, and it also has +3 magic damage. Aug the Wolfclaws and put them in main-hand. Mainhand both swings and procs more often than offhand.

2) The general wisdom is 2H isn't worth it. Itemization hasn't made 2H practical for us since PoP days...Two 1H combo's always beat out any 2H available at the same content level, at least for DPS purposes. That said, the 2H you have is probably near par with the 1H combo you have if you haven't done the AA's that improve the offhand yet. Try it if you want...but you'll shelve it with your next 1H upgrade.

Kanan

Not so much itemization as the pure lack of the 2her dps AAs that other classes get that make 2h'ers able to actually do some dps.  I wanna say in TBS days, there was a 2hb that, for monks, was able to parse pretty close to top 1h combo available.  (the stupid long spider event dropped it iirc)
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

bladepaw

I have heard that the monsterous mace does not live up to it's stats.   some have said that while the martial weapons are the fastest they are not nessesarly the best.  In my primary I have  Highmaul of Anguish (tosk) with Verdant emerald of the wounding (frostcrypt) and  Im 2ndary I have fist of lava (OMM vendor) with Frozeneye zone (don vendor)  It kinda works out nice becasuse on both you have fire and ice procs.  I am by far not the best BL on mayong have not done much in Underfood but boomers and lavakins.

vildar

Quote from: bladepaw on March 15, 2010, 01:47:28 AM
  I have heard that the monsterous mace does not live up to it's stats.   some have said that while the martial weapons are the fastest they are not nessesarly the best.  In my primary I have  Highmaul of Anguish (tosk) with Verdant emerald of the wounding (frostcrypt) and  Im 2ndary I have fist of lava (OMM vendor) with Frozeneye zone (don vendor)  It kinda works out nice becasuse on both you have fire and ice procs.  I am by far not the best BL on mayong have not done much in Underfood but boomers and lavakins.

The martial weapons always have better ratios than equivalent tier weapons of other types (1h). Your Fist of Lava has a better ratio than your Highmaul. You'd be better off switching the Fist to mainhand (better ratio, faster delay in primary = more dmg bonus) & switching the dmg aug to the Fist (more effective with lower delay).
That being said, for those of you who don't have the Fabled pet weapon, GO GET IT RIGHT NOW. It's the shizzle.