Main Menu

Who uses hot keys ?

Started by Mazame, April 16, 2010, 03:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mazame

Ok I working on a project and was wondering out of those raiders who uses hot keys to link diffrent AA? and who prefer to  not link them ?
for those that do link them what aa do you link ? for those that don't link why do you not link them ?

dose one way or the other improve dps when burning ?

what are the pro / con  to linking aa's?

I have my idea and what I use but was looking to help get some more insight on the matter.

thanks in advance for your feed back

Hzath

I have a "damage" hotkey that links
Forray
Feral Swipe
Kick
Chameleon Strike

They each have their own hotkey on hotbar 4 (that I don't use) just so they are visible in case I stop spamming the button for whatever reason.

I have a new JOLT hotkey, which is just FD-Stand-attack on.  I also have FD and stand for their own hotkeys when I'm trying to pull or escape.

The reason I don't tie major burn stuff to hotkeys (spire, frenzy, emp fury, glyph, 7th) to a single hotkey are because of varying recast times.  I try to maximize on each event and get multiple uses out of each ability when possible.  I also very rarely use frenzy of spirit, I always save it in case of a death so I can have the 100% haste right away after a rez/call but when I don't die it sort of gets forgotten.

I suppose having a separate hotkey to unload everything for those super short burn situations would make the clicking easier, but I would honestly just forget about it.

If you don't have lag issues but have trouble with the click frenzy at the start of a big burn binding as much as you can to a few hotkeys would probably help. 

Multibinding nukes would help a lot too, but I don't do that either.  Mostly because I don't want to change.
Beastlord Community Round Table representative.  Feel free to PM me or contact me in game (Drinal.Hzathz) about anything you think needs attention.

Nusa

I think the decision also rests in whether how good you are at using your input devices, whether you have enough screen real-estate for all the hotbutton banks. Me, I'm a fast touch-typer and am comfortable with the mouse in either hand (I prefer the left, because that leaves my right hand free to use a pen).

I have all 4 hotbars up, all full of single abilities. That's not enough room, so the less-important stuff is a scroll-bar click away. I link nothing in the way of spells, ability's, aa's, or discs. My only complex hotkeys are for event-specific stuff (e.g. my old VISH button says: /target mournful spirit  /say shoulder my burden).

Spells, Discs, and everything on first hotbar #1 I use via the keyboard...that covers 95% of what I need in combat, and odds are good I literally won't touch the mouse during a trash clear. Utility and longer-recast abilities are on the other buttons. All the burn stuff is on #2 and #3, so that's where the mouse cursor stays most of the time.

Pro:
For ME, not much, really.
For extremely slow, handicapped, or just lazy users, it may be the only way to become functional.

Con:
You lose the visual indicator that an ability is ready to use, unless you also have them as individual hotkeys.
You lose some situational awareness of what's actually happening when you hit a button, and how much agro you're going to get.
You lose some ability to be flexible in using your abilities.

One thing I find useful is audio alerts for your own spells. Ones I particularly like are:
When a spell fizzles.
When my DoT lands. (actually any bst's DoT, but I'm often the only one present.)
When my DoT wears off.
When my slow lands. (actually any bst's slow, but I'm often the only one present.)
When invis is about to wear off. (Love fixed invis, but it's still useful for ITU or in MM's)
When my FD fails. (new one, obviously!)

Bumkus

I use ghetto version of multibinding, because I don't like to mess with my key bindings much.

I just use 5 lines of a social hotkey, filled with:
/cast 2
/cast 5
/cast 6
/cast 8
/cast 3

No pauses.

this builds a priority system where it will tell you that you cant cast until it gets down to an open spell.

If you fizzle, it will give the fizzle message then try to cast the next one in the list.

My ui has big numbers next to the spell gems, so I can quickly rearrange the order I try to cast.  (Yowl is first priority cast on burns, but its useless to cast Yowl during clears.)

The downside of this method of mulitbinding is that you get a lot of spam.  I just deal with it.  It doesn't seem to slow down my computer and I am still able to parse for the raid with all DoTs turned on.

Cast rate is the main thing separating low versus high dps bst.  You need to be casting or clicking at a minimum of once every 5 seconds in a burn.  1 every 4 seconds is a better target.  if you can cast or click every 3 seconds then you will be a god among bst.

Oh, I also use a hotkey with my bestial allignment to make sure I click Frenzy of Spirit (since it don't cost nuthin') and to bandolier into my best disc weaps.  (a lot of times I have pet weaps out if not under disc.)

kharthai

Quote from: Hzath on April 16, 2010, 08:15:21 AM
I have a "damage" hotkey that links
Forray
Feral Swipe
Kick
Chameleon Strike

I use this as well.  Haven't tried multibinding spells (guess I don't like change either).  I have a button with First Spire, Frenzy of Spirit, Empathic Fury and an assist for easier disc'ing.  Not necessarily all that efficient but I'm lazy and it works.