Main Menu

New Box advise

Started by preaceps, December 18, 2010, 11:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preaceps

Hey, i will shortly be moving to literally the other side of the world so i will not be able to play with most of my buddies or even a lot of people as i will be on an opposite schedule.  As such I was thinking of making a 4th box to play around with whenever its just me.  Atm I have a Bst as main, Pally and Druid boxes.  My question is what the 4th box should be.   I plan on having a healer merc and dps merc to fill out the group when im solo.  Was thinking that needed CC and either doing Bard/w dps merc being rog because of added benefits the melees can get from bard.  Figure Bst/Bard/Rog merc would do decent enough dps.  Or I can go the enc route/w dps merc being wiz.  Figure enc/bst(nukes)/dru/wiz merc would also do some nice dps.

Either way i should have my CC covered and was just wondering which makes more sense/more dps.  Thanks for your input and of course open to other suggestions still.

Oh wasnt really worried about puller since with Bst FD, and pallies increased pulling capabilities(new calm/fade) I should be good most pulls especially w a enc/bard waiting at camp.

nedoirah

I wouldn't use a wizard merc unless you want your mezzes broken. They are terrible about casting ae nukes. However I would add a chanter into the mix since they have far superior mezzing capabilities than a bard which imo outweighs the dps increase. Hardly anyone I've ever spoken with wants a wizard merc. I play a bst/shm team with a cleric and rogue merc and usually handle anything up to the Grounds trash without breaking a sweat. Even with rogue merc on burn I rarely lose agro to it.

Presently I'm only a t1-t3 group geared bst and shaman and I easily manage to put out 10k dps (non-burn) between the bst and rogue merc.

Just a suggestion but work your pally into a tank type cause they kind of suck for dps but kick ass for tanking. This can increase your dps. Bsts do better dps from behind the mobs rather than from a tanking standpoint. I counted at least a 1k dps difference that way.

preaceps

Oh the pally tanks fine, hes not like server top 10 or nothing but buffs to around 55k and like 5.5kac full defensive.  Working on his healing/dps aa now.  He can do t4 so so, still working on a couple slot upgrades.  I was only saying wiz merc because a buddy does a sk/enc combo and says that w twincast aura going the merc does some decent dps.  My beast does decent enough dps but its obviously more sustained, and pally doesnt exactly do much like you said.

Karve

I have mage and pally boxe with cleric and rogueDPS  mercs, with myself having a T5 tank, its a solid group but really lacking CC, to teh point I'm cosidering switching the pally to an Enc 0-90 seems like a seriously long way these days though. Especially as I have a 73 Enc on my bst account.

Professional Mad Bastard.

bradam

Quote from: nedoirah on December 19, 2010, 12:21:22 AM
I wouldn't use a wizard merc unless you want your mezzes broken. They are terrible about casting ae nukes. However I would add a chanter into the mix since they have far superior mezzing capabilities than a bard which imo outweighs the dps increase. Hardly anyone I've ever spoken with wants a wizard merc. I play a bst/shm team with a cleric and rogue merc and usually handle anything up to the Grounds trash without breaking a sweat. Even with rogue merc on burn I rarely lose agro to it.

Presently I'm only a t1-t3 group geared bst and shaman and I easily manage to put out 10k dps (non-burn) between the bst and rogue merc.

Just a suggestion but work your pally into a tank type cause they kind of suck for dps but kick ass for tanking. This can increase your dps. Bsts do better dps from behind the mobs rather than from a tanking standpoint. I counted at least a 1k dps difference that way.

I use a wizard merc quite often, had no issues with it breaking mez.  Two things to remeber with them that I've learned.  One is switch it to balanced and leave it there.  Setting it to AE is asking to wipe and setting it to burn just means it insta'agros and dies.   Two is never have your puller set as main assist. 

Since I'm rather lazy most of pulls is just a round up whatever mobs are close and train my chanterbot.   AE stun/mez  then ae tash followed by wave/free target mez.  Then just chew them up at my leasiure.

Khauruk

What kind of dps does it put out w/ teh enc, Bradam?
TURNCOAT!!!!!

AbyssalMage

If your looking for pure CC, I would go chanty. Bards make it so you don't need CC most of the time but with all the new insances, you sometimes don't have a choice if a few extra mobs are in your camp.

I would second the Rogue v. Wizzy merc though. Rogue merc's never run out of mana (endurance) that I have seen.

Create one of each on the 4th account and see wiich one plays better for your group?
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Khauruk

I grouped w/ a guy using a wizzie merc (at least lvl87).  Still only a touch over 2k dps (no enc).  Sounds like rogue is "always" the way to go.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

nedoirah

Quote from: Khauruk on December 22, 2010, 11:23:33 PM
I grouped w/ a guy using a wizzie merc (at least lvl87).  Still only a touch over 2k dps (no enc).  Sounds like rogue is "always" the way to go.

At 86 my rogue merc was doing between 3-4 k dps. I haven't parsed it at 88 yet (my shaman's current level and his rogue merc).

Quote from: bradam on December 22, 2010, 02:50:48 PM
I use a wizard merc quite often, had no issues with it breaking mez.  Two things to remeber with them that I've learned.  One is switch it to balanced and leave it there.  Setting it to AE is asking to wipe and setting it to burn just means it insta'agros and dies.   Two is never have your puller set as main assist. 

I have't used a wizard merc recently so I didn't know about different settings. But like Abysmalmage said rogues never run out of end whereas the wizard merc runs out of mana.

bradam

Quote from: Khauruk on December 22, 2010, 03:10:40 PM
What kind of dps does it put out w/ teh enc, Bradam?

I downloaded gamparse(sp?) maybe 2 years ago, have yet to mess with it tho lol   I was under the assumption that if you had a shammy get a rogue and if you have a chanter get a wiz merc.  I'm about done with HoT so I think its time to start messing with it as I've been curious to what kind of dps the wiz merc really does. 

With the wiz merc on balanced they never run oom, but granted mine gets hit with group para, chanter 2nd spire, and chanter bp click everytime they refresh too. 

I 4 box most of the time now so more for safety(and lazyness) I always just leave the wiz merc on balanced.  If you were just playing one toon I bet you could switch wiz merc to burn 1/2 way through the fight and crank some more dps out of them without killing them,  then switch it back to balance once the mob dies.   

bradam

Quick parse on wiz merc with my chanterbot
On balanced mode

Jathenai -vs- An ornate guard: -- DMG: 118550 -- DPS: 3120 -- Scaled: 2522 -- DirDmg: 118550 -- Non-crit rate: 100% -- Attempts: 19 -- Hits: 19 -- Accuracy: 100% -- Avg Hit: 6239 -- Max hit: 17390 -- DMG to PC: 0

Jathenai -vs- A devoted guard: -- DMG: 88703 -- DPS: 2609 -- Scaled: 2218 -- DirDmg: 88703 -- Non-crit rate: 100% -- Attempts: 9 -- Hits: 9 -- Accuracy: 100% -- Avg Hit: 9855 -- Max hit: 17390 -- DMG to PC: 0

Jathenai -vs- A dream devourer: -- DMG: 141017 -- DPS: 3439 -- Scaled: 3000 -- DirDmg: 141017 -- Non-crit rate: 100% -- Attempts: 23 -- Hits: 23 -- Accuracy: 100% -- Avg Hit: 6131 -- Max hit: 17390 -- DMG to PC: 0

kinda varies between those numbers quite a bit oddly

Khauruk

TURNCOAT!!!!!

Mordeb42

I run bst/chanter/druid Merc:war/wiz/cleric.

With Chanter auras.  wiz merc averages 3.4k dps.  In burn mode it does a lot more, but pulls agro and dies.
I have tried using hotkeys that change the stance from balanced to burn and back.  But if the merc procs a twincast during a that short burn time, it still pulls agro.

Sometimes on multiple pulls, the wiz merc will go stupid and keep breaking mez on the mob the chanter is trying to mez, even though the tank merc is assisting the MA.  But most of the time it plays team ball.

If I was running a shammy, I would be using a rog merc.  Chanters have good synergy with wiz mercs.

Blarp

I run Beastlord Ench Sham, CLeric Rog Rog merks works grate and none burn it was 18k for me.

Shadowbeast

I box my main 90 Bst with J5 Healer and an 87 Bard with a J5 Tank, and I can handle up to t3 nameds.  I cannot tell you how awesome it is to have a bard as 2nd box.  Getting across zones w bard speed spoils you, and the pulling is ridiculously easy.  Not to mention the extra DPS.  Go bard, thank me later
Shadowbeast
Beastlord - 85 - Luclin