Main Menu

AA questions

Started by Baerek, December 20, 2010, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baerek

Hey everyone. I'm coming back to EQ after a long break. I had a 65 BL back when that was the level cap. I'm currently leveling a new one. He's 62 and 0 AA. Back in the day, when AA's cost a static amount of exp, the general rule of thumb was to level to max first, then work AA's. However, since they've changed that, and added in the exp bonus for AA's up to 2500, is there a rule of thumb on when to work AAs? I'd really like to play the newer content (80+) but I don't want to be gimpy because I have no or few AA's. I'm thinking about stopping every 5 levels or so from here on out (65, 70, 75, 80) and grinding out 100 or so points before leveling again, but is there a better way? My brother just tells me to not worry about AA until 85, but everything I'm reading says different. Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Khauruk

I'd definitely grind out all the Luclin-style AAs now while mobs have shit for hitpoints!  My general rule is get as many as you can stand at each level and then move on.  Those early ones though are just huge for the cost, and I can't see avoiding them.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Baerek

Quote from: Khauruk on December 20, 2010, 04:24:43 PM
I'd definitely grind out all the Luclin-style AAs now while mobs have shit for hitpoints!  My general rule is get as many as you can stand at each level and then move on.  Those early ones though are just huge for the cost, and I can't see avoiding them.

Alright, that's kinda what I was thinking. Think I'll get 65 first, for the req 65 rec 75 gear that's available (amazing upgradecompared to what's available to me right now) and sit in BoT, PoT, or PoF for a couple hundred AA's. Luckily there's a choice of planar hot zones right now.

Grbage

If soloing then yeah, knock out the aa's at lower levels because mobs will just melt away using cheap defiant gear. By the time you hit 75 good luck trying to solo mobs without any aa's and it will just get worse the closer you get to 90. If you have a group of friends that are all higher level and don't mind carrying you then go ahead and level up first then worry about aa's.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

AbyssalMage

Quote from: Baerek on December 20, 2010, 05:38:51 PM
Quote from: Khauruk on December 20, 2010, 04:24:43 PM
I'd definitely grind out all the Luclin-style AAs now while mobs have shit for hitpoints!  My general rule is get as many as you can stand at each level and then move on.  Those early ones though are just huge for the cost, and I can't see avoiding them.

Alright, that's kinda what I was thinking. Think I'll get 65 first, for the req 65 rec 75 gear that's available (amazing upgradecompared to what's available to me right now) and sit in BoT, PoT, or PoF for a couple hundred AA's. Luckily there's a choice of planar hot zones right now.

You may want to consider GE or AC if your still 62. Otherwise I would reach 65 or 71 and AA.  I am seriously considering leveling to 71 and doing AA's at 71 until I have 1k or so on a Ranger/Rogue Alt atm. After 71, the next sweet spot is 75(Think this is the correct level) and hitting RSS up for AA's until you can't stand the zone any longer.
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Khauruk

For a bst, the sweet spot is 70, after you've delevelled from 71.  Get that double attack, then take a death to unding, and then 100% AA 'til you puke :D  DPS boost from that ding is gigantic, and more places are open at 70 than 71 by far iirc.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Baerek

Quote from: Khauruk on December 21, 2010, 05:51:58 AM
For a bst, the sweet spot is 70, after you've delevelled from 71.  Get that double attack, then take a death to unding, and then 100% AA 'til you puke :D  DPS boost from that ding is gigantic, and more places are open at 70 than 71 by far iirc.

Huh, that's crazy. Makes sense to me though. Any suggestions on zones to grind? I suppose the 70 hotzone would be a good place to go. Or would it make more sense to do PoFire and slaughter LBs? Decisions, decisions...

Hzath

Mobs should be dark blue at 70 in plane of fire.
Beastlord Community Round Table representative.  Feel free to PM me or contact me in game (Drinal.Hzathz) about anything you think needs attention.

Baerek

Yep, you're right! Did my math wrong. Gotta love posting at 6:30 in the morning after only 3 hours of sleep.  :-D